View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Storz 2005 Bws Build 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Storz 2005 Bws Build
The Zuma kickstarter is, like you say, easy to service. I use mine all the time so I constantly pull them apart. I have some Piaggio's that are a nightmare to get the spring re-seated. They're all stock though and I try not to use the kickstarter.

Malossi MHR Big Bore 77 LC, Malossi RHQ crank, Roost 86 pipe, 28mm Keihin PWK Carb, Stage6 reverse intake manifold, Custom Subframe, Stage6 Vforce3 reed valve, Polini open air Filter, Malossi 2010 Over Range, Polini 2G clutch, Dr Pulley clutch bell, Malossi yellow contra. Aerox wheels. ProTaper bars. Buzzeti side stand. Many more upgrades to come...

2008 Zuma 50
2012 Zuma 50 (sold)
2006 Metropolitan selling/parting out!
2003 Derbi Red Bullet

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:33 am
Scooterologist

Well i took it out for its maiden voyage this morning, ran really well defiantly has wayy more power then the tired old 50... I brought it up to 3/4 throttle and it was doin about 60kph. I pulled the spark plug out once i got to work and it was a nice chocolate colour, I think i feel a bit of air coming out of the exhaust flange very very little...do you recommend using the gasket that comes with the athena kit or a stock one? Im gonna pull it apart and try and get a better seal... :q: I was reading this post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17404 and as soon as i plug my exhaust the bike dies less then 5 seconds for sure....

Any quick tips for stock zuma carb tuning? I've adjusted the idle screw a tiny bit and it idles nicely now but just wondering about air/fuel ?

:q: :cheers:

Thanks Always!
-Storz

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- malossi white torque spring
- malossi yellow clutch springs
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk
- Doppler air box stock carb

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:11 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Unless you hear an exhaust leak, then the air that you are feeling is more than likely the air that the fan is pushing, which exits down and to the side of the pipe.

I know that there is method to the madness of tuning a stock carb, but I honestly can't remember it. I always replaced mine almost right away. But I (think) that it's 2.5 turns out and go from there. It sounds as though you have it tuned correctly though. Post some pics of a fresh plug run 1/4 mile WOT.

Malossi MHR Big Bore 77 LC, Malossi RHQ crank, Roost 86 pipe, 28mm Keihin PWK Carb, Stage6 reverse intake manifold, Custom Subframe, Stage6 Vforce3 reed valve, Polini open air Filter, Malossi 2010 Over Range, Polini 2G clutch, Dr Pulley clutch bell, Malossi yellow contra. Aerox wheels. ProTaper bars. Buzzeti side stand. Many more upgrades to come...

2008 Zuma 50
2012 Zuma 50 (sold)
2003 Derbi Red Bullet

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:12 pm
Scooterologist

http://imgur.com/a/rkWOb

1plug is the one I've put about 10km on (darker one) & the lighter colour was one i did a chop in a parking lot this morning... i woulda done a couple more but i couldn't get screw off cap things off the end of the plugs with my fingers :doh:

Thoughts?

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:08 pm
Scooterologist

my thoughts are its way faster then the 50 all around.... it seems slow up to about 40kph then the revs pickup and it hits 60kph pretty quick (I'm thinking thats my 05 torque drive?) I've still gotta take it apart and clean and grease it.

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:16 pm
Scooterologist

i just turned the air/fuel screw out half a turn and it seems to be running better I'm scared to run lean.... ill do another couple plug chops soon

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:36 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

You should also get pictures showing down into the plug, but the first plug looks nice and dark. The second one being done in just a parking lot I have no comment on.

I can't remember, is the air/fuel screw on the side of the motor, or the side of the air filter? Imagine the slide/needle to be the center. Anyway, if the screw is closer to the motor then it is a fuel screw. If it is on the filter side then it is an air screw.
If it's an air screw, then turning it out leans it.
If it's a fuel screw, then turning it out richens the mixture.

When the older torque drives act up, they do it near the middle of their range. They will start out like normal, but then all of a sudden seem to up shift into a gear that the motor doesn't have the power for. Kinda like going from second to 4th and skipping 3rd. It's quite distinct when it happens. That's what it would do to me. So maybe your torque drive just needs to be cleaned and greased. Some new clutch springs wouldn't hurt if you haven't already gotten to those.

2008 Zuma 50
2012 Zuma 50 (sold)
2003 Derbi Red Bullet

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:59 pm
Scooterologist

Ok good to know!! Ive got it set around 2 and quarter out now :q: I don't wanna be making it any more lean then stock by mistake...
Do you think i should get stiffer clutch springs or what?? how about torque spring?? any recommendation for what brand to get?
i think I'm gonna run it with the stock exhaust and carb for a while still..

Thanks,Storz

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:25 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Since you're keeping the stock pipe, stock style springs should be good. You could go a bit stiffer, like a set of yellow, but it'll make it rev up more before it starts to move, which is necessary when you have an expansion pipe, but maybe not so desirable with the stock pipe because you lose a little low end grunt.
If you got the money, get some stock replacement springs and some yellow (medium) Malossi springs so that you can see how they act. I think the blue Polini springs are somewhat equivalent to the yellow Malossi's, but can't remember. I'm sure though that sites like scootertuning.ca should tell you.

A stock torque spring is preferable as well with a stock pipe.

2008 Zuma 50
2012 Zuma 50 (sold)
2003 Derbi Red Bullet

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 am
Scooterologist

thanks for the response spaz ill try some yellows and if they are to stiff ill just put new stock ones on..im gonna pull the torque drive apart this weekend and clean and grease it so ill switch some clutch spring around at the same time.
As for the scooter now its running great and i am enjoying it more now then ever :q:

Ill take some pics when i take it apart on the weekend :cheers:

-Storz

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Glad to know that all your hard work paid off. Pretty soon you'll want it to go faster. It never ends lol

2008 Zuma 50
2012 Zuma 50 (sold)
2003 Derbi Red Bullet

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:48 pm
Scooterologist

So today i was driving to work and i go to take off from a light and my scooter just wouldn't rev up just was bogging really bad wouldn't get goin so i pulled over, my first thought was to much fuel so i adjusted the fuel mixture screw a bit and it didn't change anything.... My next thought was fouled plug maybe..... Nope new plug didn't change anything either :doh: My next thought is maybe my carb is gummed up or something ??

It was running really good up till today. any thoughts?

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:35 pm
Scooterologist

Well i was correct!! my main jet had some crap in it, cleaned it out and re adjusted my air/fuel mixture (was defiantly running it to rich) bike seems to be running good again :q:

On another note i took my drive setup up apart and cleaned and re greased it all, i noticed my torque spring was pretty rusty looking so i ordered a new molossi white torque spring and some molossi yellow clutch springs as well as some stock clutch springs... I haven't pushed it to its max speed yet but it seems to get upto 70 kph pretty easy which is about 44mph. not to bad

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:55 am
Scooterologist

Well today i worked on the the scooter, here is what i did

-polini (soft) clutch springs
-molossi white torque spring
-removed the snorkel from the stock air box
-replaced pooched old rear shock with cheapie TunR brand replacement

OK so my stock clutch springs and torque spring were defeintly worn out with 25,000 ks on them, bike launches better for sure now and feels like theres less belt slip with the new torque spring. ( i ordered a set of yellow clutch springs as well but they sent me a yellow torque spring instead.... :doh:) i get the keep the torque spring for free and they sent the yellow clutch springs thanks scootertunning
Next thing is I think the 85 main jet is to big for what I'm running, i keep adjusting the air/fuel and the plug always rich so i pulled the snorkel out of the air box( I've read a few post around the internet of people having similar problem with a 85mj with the stock carb/exhaust... Last the $30 cheap tunR rear shock isn't the greatest but its better then the wet noodle stock shock that was on my scoot....

1 question: When i hold full throttle from a stop i get a weird hesitation, it trys to rev up but the rpms won't go very high,it only does it when i go 100% throttle from a stop, to much fuel? its better without the snorkel but still does it a little bit..
Any thoughts?

Thanks,Storz

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk

Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:15 pm
Scooterologist

Well its been awhile since I've posted, so the 70cc kit has just over 2500kms now its been running really great! I think its time to upgrade the stock clutch and maybe do a different exhaust. Any thoughts from anyone :cheers:

- stock clutch
- ncy adjustable td.
- michelin bopper tires
- dual headlight mod
- tun'R rear shock

1989 Zuma (Red Dragon)
- 70cc Hebo bbk

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4