View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 2004 Zuma 50 Gy6 150 swap...went well except for 2 things... 
Newb
Newb

Post 2004 Zuma 50 Gy6 150 swap...went well except for 2 things...
It runs and sounds good. I got the Zuma from a kid that barely took care of it. Scratched up, cracks, missing body screws. Had it tuned up at a local shop and had a few parts replaced. Ran well. But only a weak butt 35mph and I'm only 155 lbs. I had aTao Tao 150 that ran well but was trashed. Body busted up. Wires shorting out. Speedometer would show me in the upper 60s. I decided to do the swap. 150cc Gy6 on a 50cc Zuma body. My problem is that I also swapped back and front tires/rims. Had trouble getting the Tao Tao front wheel on because it seemed like the Zuma brakes were like a few centimeters too close to the disk. So I took the Zuma brake off and put the Tao Tao on. Bood holes dont line up but I could get one in and the brake had sufficient space as to not constantly rub the brake disk. Only a little bit of brake fluid came out so I doubt that's the problem. The problem is that the brake doesn't work at all... I'm going to put the zumas brake back on (try to) and see if maybe I'm just tripping.
The engine runs fine off Zuma cdi and coil, but I top out at like 50. I should be hitting at least upper 50s. Could it be that the Zuma cdi is restricting the Gy6 from it's full potential? Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make this thing go faster? Physics come in to play here and yet something is causing those physics to be defied. Lol. The physics of I put a more powerful engine that came off a slightly heavier bike, added engine to a slightly smaller frame...you would think that I would be flying, but I'm not. My last 150 was a Peace Transit and the digital speedometer showed me going 64mph on a 55mph hey. The whole point of this was to have a beat up looking Zuma 50 but with an engine that could get me up and a little over that 55mph. I already know that a properly tuned stock 150 will carry an average weight person 55mph and slightly over. What can I do to make my Gy6 run as good as it did on the Tao Tao ? Do I need to get like a Zuma 125 cdi? Adjust my weights? What am I missing? I'm calling this thing "Frankenstein" because it has parts from 3 different scooters. It's running so much better with the Gy6 but not as fast as it was while on the busted up Tao Tao frame. And now that both of the bulky stock Zuma tires and rims have been replaced with thinner tires this think outta be going at least as fast as my previous 150s

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:38 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
Post Re: 2004 Zuma 50 Gy6 150 swap...went well except for 2 thing
First off a 2 stroke cdi should not work at all on a 4 stroke 2 strokes fire every stroke where a r stroke is every other stroke
As for the brake if you didn’t bleed it you have air in the system there is no way you can pull a California per off and put one on without getting air in the system
I highly doubt your cheap china 150 was doing a true 60 plus more then likely it was in the low 50s
Next what speedo and what speedo wheel hub are you running the Zuma speedo is set to the Zuma tire size and wheel hub gear ratio
The other scooter speedo is set to that tire size and wheel hub ratio

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:23 pm
Newb
Newb

Yeah I know I gotta bleed the brake. I took the brake off the 150 and fabricated some extensions so that it fits without rubbing the disk. So. You're saying I need to get a new cdi? Or would the cdi off Tao Tao 150 work? And I used GPS on both to get my speed. The Tao Tao was doing around 64mph.

Edit: the Zuma and Tao Tao wire harness are almost the same with the exception of the 2 wires for the oil tank and the wires are different colors. I don't need the speedo to work because I use a gps that I made a mount for on the dash. Lol it's so ghetto, yet sturdy. I'm basically trying to do the rat rod equilivent of a scooter. something that looks like nothing but will haul butt

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 pm
Newb
Newb

Update. Got front brake swapped out and got the air out of the line. Brakes work. The Zuma cdi does work. My scoot fires right up but I'm just not getting the same speed as I was on the Tao Tao. GPS was used to check speed. Tao Tao was running upper 50s to lower 60s. Now after putting it on the Zuma frame I'm only getting to 50mph. When I ride it it sounds good. Doesn't backfire or run rough. It just doesn't go as fast. Do I need to get a new cdi? I believe Zuma cdi is ac I believe and the Gy6 150s cdi is dc....I believe. If I bought a performance ”racing” cdi for Zuma would that work without having to replace any other electrical parts? Or since I'm running a Gy6 150 would a Gy6 150 cdi prevent anything from working? The wire harness for the 2 are almost identical except for colors and the Zuma has the 2 wired plug for the oil guage, which I don't need. If the Zuma cdi and coil are running my engine would a Gy6 CDI run it too? And if so, any recommendations for a good CDI for my machine?

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:31 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
Stop trying to cut a fucking corner get a 4 stroke cdi in there. I told you your dam luckynitbeven runs
W strokes fir more often and have a complete diffrent t8ming map then a 4 stroke
But then again I’m just a dumb old man so I don’t know what the duck I’m talking about

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 pm
Newb
Newb

jmkjr72 wrote:
Stop trying to cut a fucking corner get a 4 stroke cdi in there. I told you your dam luckynitbeven runs
W strokes fir more often and have a complete diffrent t8ming map then a 4 stroke
But then again I’m just a dumb old man so I don’t know what the duck I’m talking about

Lol man chill you don't gotta get all defensive. I literally asked if I should get a different cdi. I joined this forum to learn and share what I've learned. If I offended you somehow to make you wanna cuss at me I apologize. I have the cdi that originally ran the motor. I could literally swap every electrical component if need be. If that's what I NEED to do. The scooter I took the motor from is 2 feet behind me with the cdi, regulator, everything. It's just a busted up body and has no ignition or starter, but it has all the other parts. What I'm asking is for information on what are the first things I need to get the basic stock performance this engine gave me while still on it's original scoot. The engine has less that 3000 miles and the brakes are in good shape. When it was still a regular Zuma it ran fine, just not fast enough for the roads I take. The 150 ran as fast as I needed it to and could ride behind traffic on 55mph hwys not even at full throttle and keep up. I wanna get back to that and I'll be happy. Along with getting Gy6 electricals would I need to do any non electric changes? Not looking to do a lot of upgrades. If I want more than mid to upper 50s I'll go buy a motorcycle

Lol I plan on buying a new Zuma wire harness and use the frame of the 150 and create a sort of skeleton bike by running harness inside the metal tubing and drilling holes to get the plugs throug and after I connect them back to engine I'll seal the holes and make the connections weather resistant. Only plastic I'm gonna have in it will be just the bucket seat, light fixtures and dash. I'll put the oil tank from the Zuma on it.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]