View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 How should I finish my 05 Zuma BWS? 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2005 Zuma, Athena alu. Sport 70cc, Giannelli Reverse pipe, NCY variator and clutch, UNI flat filter in 125cc airbox,
Post How should I finish my 05 Zuma BWS?
Hey all, I picked up an 05 Zuma 50 about a year ago and have been going through it and getting the old owners 'hacks' out of it and building it up. So far I've installed the Athena Sport Alu. BBK 10mm pin, NCY transmission kit, Giannelli Reverse pipe, CF reeds, Zuma 125cc airbox w/ UNI filter, re-jetted the carburetor, dual headlight mod.
I feel like there are a few details/parts my rig is missing to be the full, correct package where everything compliments everything else. I'm feeling a larger carburetor is in my near future but unsure of which one (stick with oil injection please).
Also, what is the logic/reasons behind choosing an over sized variator or going with Up Gears?
Thanks

Attachments:
IMG_1081.jpg
IMG_1081.jpg [ 182.57 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]
IMG_1080.jpg
IMG_1080.jpg [ 164.13 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]
IMG_1079.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg [ 155.5 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]
IMG_1078.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg [ 153.23 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]

2005 Zuma 50, Athena Race BBK, Giannelli Reverse exhaust, NYC Transmission kit, Dual Headlight LED's, 125cc airbox & filter, carbon reeds in stock block, vented CVT cover, moto style kickstand, moto number plate stickers (+1/2HP)LOL,
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:42 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos derestricted variator and exhaust upjetted carb 2004 Zuma Dual Headlight Mod Malossi Wild Lion Exhaust
Post Re: How should I finish my 05 Zuma BWS?
Whats your top end now ?

up gears
I am putting them on for primarily for higher top end so i break 50 mph without revving to the moon.
The stock 2002-2005 gears are a 14.66 final ratio .
My friends 09 stock top end is higher than mine he hits upper 40's on flats .
He has stock 13.3 gears
I have yet to install 14/42 gears on the zuma which would put me at 11 to 1.
My mpg should increase since i am not revving so high would be a secondary benefit .

over size variator
better shifting and acceleration maybe a mile or 2 top end .

I am building a Up another E-ton Beamer right now so the zuma malossi bbk and athena gears will be done in spring.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:19 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2005 Zuma, Athena alu. Sport 70cc, Giannelli Reverse pipe, NCY variator and clutch, UNI flat filter in 125cc airbox,
I can hit 54 mph on a slight downhill while fully tucked (according to the flashing radar sign).
Maybe it's already upgear'd from the previous owners if I'm hitting 54 mph? (I'm still finding things from them)

2005 Zuma 50, Athena Race BBK, Giannelli Reverse exhaust, NYC Transmission kit, Dual Headlight LED's, 125cc airbox & filter, carbon reeds in stock block, vented CVT cover, moto style kickstand, moto number plate stickers (+1/2HP)LOL,

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:34 am
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos derestricted variator and exhaust upjetted carb 2004 Zuma Dual Headlight Mod Malossi Wild Lion Exhaust
You sure have a strong build already.
54 is really strong the the Athena and pipe might be breaking 50 by itself .
I have broke 50 with a eton beamer with just a bbk they are about 20 lbs lighter than a zuma with equivalent of 08 gears.
Before you tear into the gears you could mark the wheel and clutch bell and count how many times the bell turns for every wheel revuloution
If you are under 13 you already have up gears .
If you are over 14 you are stock.

If you are able to upgrade your gears you probably push towards 60 .

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:28 pm
Scooterologist

That's a good idea. LOL. I'll check the gearing later when I get home.
As far as finishing the build... should I be worried about the stock carb on this aluminum BBK? I hear a larger carb is necessary for proper cooling...?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:12 pm
Scooterologist

Why tear it all apart if you can cheat and just spin the wheel.
conventional wisdom on here is aluminum needs bigger than a stock carb .
dellorto seems to be the go to carb .
either 17.5 with auto choke or 19mm with manual choke .
As a added bonus you probably would pick up better throttle response.

Is it the Stock TK 14mm Carb?
What are you running for jets now ?
What do your plug chops look like ?
I had to go to a 84 tk for main and a 46 pilot to get good plug chops for winter after I installed the pipe .
I probably could get by with the 82 year round will see after I put on the bbk.

Carb is cheap insurance for your build .
I would do that next if I had that bbk especially the way that thing fly's in the mid 50's if you are doing that without gears you are pushing some serious rpms.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:32 pm
Scooterologist

Thanks zino for confirming what I 'kinda' had an idea about. I'm feeling the 19mm Dellorto and ATV/Moto handlebars just for looksies.
Not sure on what jetting I currently have in my stock 14mm carb but I did mess with the air/fuel screw a bit and got some pretty good looking plug chops. Can't wait to have to dial in ANOTHER carb/jet setup. Would I need to look at different spark plugs after adding a larger carb? Currently running the BR8HS

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:45 pm
Scooterologist

That plug will still work .
Plenty of 19 mm delortoto on here to model after.
I am curious if you have up gears already ?
If not I will have to look hard at the athena for a future build if they push mid 50's without gears .
Your pipe should be adding more than mine .
I am putting a airsal aluminum low revving bbk on the eton after the new year .
I already have a malossi for the zuma and gears to put me in the mid 50's .

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 pm
Scooterologist

If I were to do it again, I would not get the Giannelli Reverse. It is SOOO loud I'm nervous around Cops.
I will try and get to investigating my gearing later today.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 am
Scooterologist

Code
I adjusted my build to a quieter stealthy build for just that reason.
I was so close to getting a screamin stage 6 pro rep pipe .
But my neighbors would have just loved me leaving for work in the morning or coming home late at night getting on the pipe angry .
And my neighbors nephew is the police chief.
So i decided to go for gears to get Top end instead of high rpm's pipe less heat and noise is a added benefit.
The wild lion and other stock like pipes don't add much too the top end but add torque to the low and mid range but are as quiet as stock.
I Got about 2 mph on the Top end .
I would like to end up about where you are at now Mid 50's and cruising around 50.
Then I will probably want more .

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]