View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 [HELP] Yamaha BWS 2006 50cc to 70cc Upgrade 
Newb
Newb

Post [HELP] Yamaha BWS 2006 50cc to 70cc Upgrade
Hey everyone, I'm new here, and I am learning how to modify my scooter.

I recently installed the Polini 70cc big bore and upjetted to an 88 on the main. I also upgraded the belt and variator and rollers.
I am wanting to upgrade the intake but I'm not exactly sure what the difference in sizes are.
I'm not sure if the "Intake system Stage6 MKII" @ ScooterTuning.ca will work?

If you have any other upgrades you think I should do please let me know! Thanks!

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:24 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Re: [HELP] Yamaha BWS 2006 50cc to 70cc Upgrade
Well, for everything you've done so far, you skipped the first step, which should have been to upgrade your pipe. I know, it seems odd that changing your pipe would matter much. But this is how two strokes work. The pipe has a key role to play in the overall performance of the bike.

Here's a question for you. Why did you upjet to an 88? Did your spark plug indicate you were running lean, or did you simply hope you'd get extra power by pumping more gas into the cylinder? Because if it's the latter, that's not the way it works.

I would suggest you leave the intake alone. I get the impression you're kind of all over the place right now, not sure where you are or where you're going. Kind of like wandering around the grocery store until you happen to stumble across something that catches your attention. I have a bad habit of doing my grocery shopping like this; it takes three times as long and I spend twice as much, often without getting what I actually needed. Don't do that with your scooter.

First you need to determine what you're upgrade goals actually are. Is this a daily commuter calling for a good balance of acceleration and top speed that will allow you keep up with traffic flow more effectively? A fair weather around-town ride that's mean to be cheap on gas? Is it mostly for fun, with plans to go hotdogging on summer days?

Whatever the case, your next upgrade should be an appropriate pipe. The stock pipe will only really make power on a limited RPM range.
You're not going to be able to fully capitalize on a BBK without a pipe that matches your goals.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm
Newb
Newb

Crap, ya I forgot to mention that, I installed a Technigas exhaust about a year before I did the 70cc, also have a Uni air filter.
I upjetted to an 88 because in the manual of the BBK, it said 88, and on ScooterTuning.ca it suggested a 8%-10% main jet upgrade. My original one was 80.
I still haven't adjusted the carb yet, because it's still a bit cold where I live (In the West of Canada). I'm just trying to get most of it done before it's riding season, so then I'll just have to tune it.

I'm mainly going for a quick moped that if I wanted too, I could do wheelies with, but that isn't a priority. A bunch of my friends have scooters and BBK so it would be nice to be able to keep up with them.
I'm mainly going to be using it for going to and from school/work, there's also a bunch of hills near where I live so it would need to be able to make it up them.
I'd like it to go fast, not like insanely fast, but like 75km/h-85km/h would be nice.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
If it’s a true tk jet 82 is rich as duck most use an 82 or 84

Also is it just the uninair filter that goes in the airbox or is it a worthless pod filter that you can’t tune the oem carb to

Now let’s talk about your belt unless you went with an overrange trans set up throw out the belt and order a new oem belt

Next what polini kit did you install the sport kit is a very low reving kit and if you installed the Cora’s kit it must have a larger carb nit just a rejeted oem 14mm carb plusnit needs a bit of work on the exhaust port to run properly

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:34 pm
Newb
Newb

Okay, so I'll just give a list of what I've done. LMAO. I should have done that first.

Cylinder kit Polini SPORT 70cc 10mm Minarelli Horizontal
Main Jet Set Polini Dellorto 6mm - Choose : 6mm 10 pieces 80-98 (88 installed.)
Variator kit Polini HI-SPEED Minarelli Long (Only installed: belt, 6.5g rollers, variator)
Boost Bottle Polini Blue
Handlebar + Stem Tun'r - Color : Black
Front Brake Pads Malossi MHR (Bws/Zuma – Pgo – Beamer)
Airfilter KOSO Racing Blue (36mm)
Exhaust Tecnigas RS-II Minarelli Horizontal

I have like some cosmetic things done, but other than that those things are it.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:07 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
First thing those are not the right jetsnfor your oem carb. Read my thread whynuse the right jets you can’t up grade a %. Ecuase ecah manufactures numbers there jets differently and use diffrent formulas to number their jets

Second get rid of the belt and get an oem

Third a boost bottle on a stock build is worthless

Third your air filter is hurting your build these engines like to run an airbox infact the air box flows enough for the oem bows 100 engine and even modded bows 100 engines FYI you can not get a diffrent neelde to properly tune the filter and carb set up

The kit you have is a very low reving kit and doesn’t need any extra flow an intake will not help your build at all

Now if properly tuned with your pipe and be you should be just of 75 kph but with your choices cenof parts you aren’t even close to properly tuned and can’t getbthere you will always run lean as duck in the mid range and rich as duck at wot because of your air filter cho Choice 85 kph on an oem frank with stock gear ratio of that year is going to be pushing the crank right now your best bang for your buck is going to be as follows

Put the stock air box on get rid of the boost bottle
82 or 84 main jet from Yamaha
Oem belt from Yamaha
Up grade the rear pully clutch and bell to then107mm clutch and bell and the better tourqe driver
Then change the gears in the rear diff
This will get you right about 85 kph

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]