View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 I present: Darkness 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post I present: Darkness
I am proud to present the finished product of countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears. After getting the 2002 Zuma back in May, I spent weeks researching and gathering parts in order to turn a beat up, broken down, junker with 23,000kms on it, into something worth riding around town.

The complete build itself can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12437

But I wanted to make a page for the culmination of all the hard work put in to this thing.

Darkness Begins

Attachment:
arrival may 1st.jpg
arrival may 1st.jpg [ 77.76 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]

Arrival:

Bought from some local kid off usedottawa website. Had been looking for a while but didn't want to spend 1200+ dollars. So I happened to check one saturday morning and this guy had just posted it 20 minutes prior. Not running, 2002, 23,500kms for 250$. Naturally I jumped on it and later that day I was handing over the money and signing the registration paper.

Attachment:
teardown.jpg
teardown.jpg [ 69.18 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]

Restoration:

What I had bought was a silver/faux chrome junker that had been used as a cottage buggy for the past year and a half and was run into the ground. Plastics were in rough shape, running with open air filter, not upjetted, no engine shroud, I'm surprised the engine hadn't blown up to be honest!

After weeks of work and research it became.... Darkness

Attachment:
darkness stage 1a.jpg
darkness stage 1a.jpg [ 65.56 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]

Attachment:
darkness stage 1b.jpg
darkness stage 1b.jpg [ 68.58 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]

Attachment:
darkness stage 1c.jpg
darkness stage 1c.jpg [ 65.11 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]

Now being in Ottawa, where the riding season is way too short and we need to extend it any way we can, we are forced to drive in fairly cold weather. Knowing I can't avoid it, I decided to get some handguards from the 125s to help ease the cold wind on my hands.

Attachment:
darkness stage 2a.jpg
darkness stage 2a.jpg [ 63.77 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]

Attachment:
darkness stage 2b.jpg
darkness stage 2b.jpg [ 65.68 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]

Also, after riding in a bit of a wet day, the scoot was getting a lot of mud on the front of it off the front wheel. I had removed the front fender since it was broken but decided to fix it up and re-attach it. I also decided to add a bit of colour with a checked seat cover from http://www.drafseatcovers.com/. It fits like a glove, I highly recommend them. Although the selection is fairly small, the product is really nice!

Attachment:
darkness stage 3a.jpg
darkness stage 3a.jpg [ 78.28 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]

Next I plan on getting the Canadian OEM Windshield and possibly fixing up the luggage rack and re-installing it. Also thinking of getting a new front fender and painting it to match the seat in order to break up the colours a bit.

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped in any way with my experience as a budding scoot modder, from advice, to comments, to items I have purchased from you, ect. This forum has been the best source of info that anyone could possibly ask for.

But most of all I'd like to thank the 3 people who made the biggest impact on this build specifically.

Gram0019
Nobody really knows him because he's never really on here. But my buddy IRL got his Zuma a bit before I did and I was a big fan of it. So when I decided to get one, he was the one who told me about the forums and I was hooked! Also, a huge huge thank you goes out to him for being an awesome friend and letting me do my build in his kickass garage at his new house. Without him I'd have been stuck out in the cold trying to build a scoot in my parents backyard, or gotten in dookie with my landlord if I tried doing it in my parking spot at my building LOL

Nifty50
I credit Nifty with putting me in the right direction when it comes to what I wanted to do with this build. With parts, suppliers, info about all different aspects of what to expect with each setup, he was such a huge help at the gathering stage.

Bakaracer
What can I say about Baka? He has been the technical guru for the entire build process. I can't count the number of nights at work I'll be on the computer messaging back and forth with Baka about everything going on with the build. Parts, tuning, everything that was working or not, Baka was there to help. Without him, I'd probably have this thing blown apart right now, or not even have it running to begin with lol so thanks again!!

Anyways, thank you all at Zumaforums.net, I look forward to a great future here and on the road!

Cheers :cheers:
-Chris

Darkness
2002 Bugeye
70cc Top Trophy Kit
Dellorto 21mm PHBG Carb
Doppler Air Box
YMW V8 Exhaust (high temp paint added)
Stage 6 16x13 sport pro variator
Stage 6 sport pro 107mm clutch
Stage 6 Wing cooler clutch bell
Yellow Malossi Contra
Dual Headlight Mod
Stebel Magnum Horn

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:40 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2011 Blur SS220i / 2008 Buddy 50 / 2011 Ninja 650R / 2012 DRZ400S
Post Re: I present: Darkness
Killer job. Scoot is sharp. :cheers:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking great! Keep us updated!

Hya

2. Stage 6 Full Circle Racing Crank
3. NGK BR7HS
4. Malossi Over-Range Race Transmission 29.7grams (malossi rollers)
5. Malossi Yellow Torque Spring
6. Malossi Delta Clutch
7. Malossi Wing-Bell Clutch Bell
8. Malossi Sport Clutch Springs for Delta/Fly (Currently running white)
9. Malossi Up-Gears
10. Polini Airbox (This is the most pimpin part I have on my scoot!)
11. Pirelli SL26/Michelin Bopper combo
12. Hyazuma Special Throttle Cable (This one is B2TB!)
13. Arreche 19mm Carburetor
14. Arreche Manual Choke
15. Laser XPRO Expansion Chamber Exhaust (Low tone = Happy Nieghbors)
16. Nuova Ray High Performance Scooter Ignition (Prog. rev limiter and detune switch)

Touch my parts again and I'll cut you up into tiny pieces and make a salad!

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:02 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:30 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Very Nice - Congrats on a fantastic scooter build!

:cheers:

09-BWS 192cc (Army Issue - Camel Spider Tan, 1ea)
65mm Forged Piston: Custom Port job on 24mm Large Valve Head: 32mm Koso TB: 10-hole injector: Stock ECU: Stock Cam: Stock Crank/Rod: LeoV Exhaust: Modified Stock Airbox with Uni-Free Flow inside: Polini Sport Clutch: Stock Vario/9g: Custom LED Blinkers: Yes, its fast; No, you can't ride it!

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks all!

I can't thank this place enough. I've only owned one other scoot in my life (Honda Aero) and that was purely to get on a go. But this was the first time for a lot of things when it comes to actually building anything mechanical. So like a bunch of others here, I'm proof that with the help and knowledge found on this site, you too can build yourself something to be proud of. If it's a complete overhaul like mine, a sick racing machine like some of the other more advanced characters around here, or even something as simple as a throttle mod, you can find everything you need right here!! :toot:

Darkness
2002 Bugeye
70cc Top Trophy Kit
Dellorto 21mm PHBG Carb
Doppler Air Box
YMW V8 Exhaust (high temp paint added)
Stage 6 16x13 sport pro variator
Stage 6 sport pro 107mm clutch
Stage 6 Wing cooler clutch bell
Yellow Malossi Contra
Dual Headlight Mod
Stebel Magnum Horn

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:18 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 02 stock Zuma...05 radical Zuma racebike...
Nice report and pics Chris.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:23 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Love those hand guards!!! Will stock 125 units fit on a 50cc scooter w/out any mods? If so, which model yr will fit on a 2005 Zuma? Keep up the great work!!!

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 96 Jog 05 Vino 08 C3 04 Super 9 00 SR
Well done sir....now sit back and look at what you have accomplished. Its a good feeling huh??!! You can always look out at it and say....I did that. No one can take that away from you!

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]