View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 kayakbuilder's '99 budget (re-)build 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Re: kayakbuilder's '99 budget (re-)build
You should give them a call. They have a toll free number.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:06 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '08 Zuma, '99 Zuma
daex wrote:
You should give them a call. They have a toll free number.

Dan responded to my e-mail this morning, saying he would look into it.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

It just came in the mail today. Not sure when I will be able to work on it, as I have a lot going on right now.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is the new PHBN 17.5 carb on the left, and the original PHBN 12 on the right.

The original had an A21 needle and a metal slide. The new has an A12 needle and a plastic slide. The new needle came with the clip one notch down from the top. Should I move it down one more to the exact middle for the initial start up, or leave it where it is? I would think I should move it as it is better to start too rich instead of too lean.

Installation should be straight forward. The throttle tube on the 17.5 is shorter, but the carb is taller with a longer slide, so it needs to be shorter.

The float bowl on the original has a drain, and the new one does not. I may switch the bowls out, if the original is in good enough condition.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is the choke jet in the bowl? Some did, not sure. I could not tell from Photo. {In case you swap bowls}
I just looked its the bowl vent. Not the choke jet. :doh:

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:25 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

It runs!!! :toot: :toot: :toot:

Problem is, I think the throttle cable (and possibly the choke cable) is too short.

After installing the new carb, I could see the throttle was still more open than it should have been, it started up easy, and idled okay even after shutting the choke off, then the rpms started climbing the clutch engaged and the rear wheel started spinning fast. I shut it down and tried it again with the same results.

I used the shortest elbow and adjusted the cable for the most slack, but it is still too tight. I need to examin the length of the cable to see if there is any more room for adjustment.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

How long is the outside bend on the elbow. Its so hard to buy this cable stuff the pics suck.
You got two choices.... Make inner longer. Or shorten outer casing.
Treatland, has a good assortment on the bends. But the pics don,t tell you length. You need to Call them.
I replaced the whole cabel & throttle, when I did mine for I had the dual cable OE carb.

If you have enough Casing you can slide the casing end cover off, unravel the metal casing. Cut it with side cutters of a cut off wheel. Remove some of the vinyl cover, slide the end cover back on. You now have more free cable.

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:53 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

corrosion wrote:
How long is the outside bend on the elbow. Its so hard to buy this cable stuff the pics suck.
You got two choices.... Make inner longer. Or shorten outer casing.
Treatland, has a good assortment on the bends. But the pics don,t tell you length. You need to Call them.

The carb came with two elbows, a shot and a long, both are shorter than the stocker, and I used the shortest. It should be working. It could be that things did not seat correctly. The inner sleeve for the elbow caused me a lot of grief on the install. I will double check that.

corrosion wrote:
If you have enough Casing you can slide the casing end cover off, unravel the metal casing. Cut it with side cutters of a cut off wheel. Remove some of the vinyl cover, slide the end cover back on. You now have more free cable.

If everything is seated correctly, I was going to look into shortening the casing.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2003 Yamaha Zuma Dual Headlight Mod
Can you adjust the cable from the throttle side too? That would give you some more slack in the cable.

TP Tophy BBK
Stock airbox-w/UNI filter pad and snorkel removed
Dellorto PHBN 17.5mm carb-90 main/30 pilot/50 starter jet A12 needle w/clip at middle notch (still tuning)
Polini Evo reeds
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stage6 Pro Replica
Malossi Multivar-33gr total weight
Malossi Delta clutch- red MHR springs and MHR weights
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Rear Pulley Assembly from an '08 Zuma
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers
JDM Fender With Clear Lenses
flush mount front turn signals

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Did that early on.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

kayakbuilder wrote:
It runs!!! :toot: :toot: :toot:

Problem is, I think the throttle cable (and possibly the choke cable) is too short.

After installing the new carb, I could see the throttle was still more open than it should have been, it started up easy, and idled okay even after shutting the choke off, then the rpms started climbing the clutch engaged and the rear wheel started spinning fast. I shut it down and tried it again with the same results.

I used the shortest elbow and adjusted the cable for the most slack, but it is still too tight. I need to examin the length of the cable to see if there is any more room for adjustment.

Same issue with mine. What i did was cut the thin gray plastic wrap at near the end of the cable. Use the PBHN12 old elbow with the adjustment cranked it ALL the way in, yes the last few threads can be turned in. Now at the throttle grip, turn your adjustment in as much as you can.

With all this, your slide should be able to completely close if you turn your idle screw all the way out.

:cheers:

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, LeoVince ZX (Aerox) exhaust, Dellorto 17.5mm PHBN carb, Malossi MHR small end bearing, Malossi Yellow contra, Doppler 15/50 12.22 final ratio, MXT Racing Variator, MXT Evolution Racing clutch, Hebo Club bell, Carbon fibre reeds, Stage6 choke cable, Style Pro single throttle cable, Motion Pro throttle sleeve, MXT "carbon fibre" stem, Cafe Racer handlebars, Buzzetti side KICKSTAND

Dual headlight mod, Integrated rear indicators, Vented CVT cover, DIY footrest bar

Prebug- sold

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:17 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

x10BWS,

Thanks for the tip. :cheers:

I had already adjusted everything for max slack from both ends. The Old elbow looked longer than the new one, but it actually gave me just enough slack for it to idle right. It idles great, and had to just barely bump up the idle. I have done the first heat cycle now.

:toot: :toot: :toot:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Glad it worked out for you :)

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, LeoVince ZX (Aerox) exhaust, Dellorto 17.5mm PHBN carb, Malossi MHR small end bearing, Malossi Yellow contra, Doppler 15/50 12.22 final ratio, MXT Racing Variator, MXT Evolution Racing clutch, Hebo Club bell, Carbon fibre reeds, Stage6 choke cable, Style Pro single throttle cable, Motion Pro throttle sleeve, MXT "carbon fibre" stem, Cafe Racer handlebars, Buzzetti side KICKSTAND

Dual headlight mod, Integrated rear indicators, Vented CVT cover, DIY footrest bar

Prebug- sold

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:29 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

After the heat cycles, I rode it for about a block to check it out. It has a VERY light front end 1/4 throttle lifts the front wheel. Taking off quick will require leaning forward. Now I get to tune the carb. I wish the spark plugs were easier to change on this, plug chops will be more difficult.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

just read all 12 pages of your build, good deal man! Glad to see you putting in the time on a budget for a new life on the scoot.
Im in a similar position myself with rebuilding a '90 prebug, good job on the body panels too, got me thinkn about a couple of mine.
Do you have a pic by chance of the choke controls by the handle grip? mine is broken and have no idea what im lookin for to find another...
Awesome build so far, wheres it at now?

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next