View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 TeamCatFlap's '09 camping Zuma 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post TeamCatFlap's '09 camping Zuma
First of all let me edit this to include the link to my 70cc conversion thread. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19489

Now that we got that out of the way. :)

So mine is coming along a bit differently than most. Not chasing top speed. Just hill climbing and getting into the backwoods with gear, because I LOVE using the wrong tool for the job. And I've shown up a few places up in the mountains that had guys out there on big Adventure Touring bikes just shaking their heads in disbelief. "Insane", "Nuts", "Must have a death wish" are a few of the things I've been told. :D
On to the Zuma.
Started as a brand new 2009 I bought last summer with .4 miles on the odo (now has about 3,600).
First thing I did when I got it home was tear it apart and do the throttle mod and dual headlight mod. Never had much use for warranty crap anyway, always end up fixing stuff under warranty myself.
Then the triple brake light mod came. And I trimmed down the extra crap off the back end. Plugged the big hole left by the fender extension with a spent 7.62x54R round.
Put red LEDs behind the gauges. (With a piece of foil tape on the ends of them to get rid of the "hot spot")
Next I decided that I wanted a louder horn. So I stuffed a Wolo Bad Boy air horn up under the cowling. Just barely enough room under the ignition switch for it with a custom bracket. That is powered through a relay, tried it at first with the stock wiring and it blew the Zuma's fuse on the second blast of it.
Being I like to ride off road and also wanted trans venting. I mounted a small computer fan in place of the stock horn (but slightly offset to avoid rain coming in through the vent) this funnels into a hose that runs to a 90 degree elbow epoxied into the front of the CVT cover. There are 3 vent holes I screened in at the top rear of the cover. That is wired to a toggle switch near the key. Seems to work well. Not as good as turning the CVT cover into swiss cheese, but better than sealed.
I also added a 12v power port that is in about the same spot as the 2012 Zuma bag hook to power my GPS.
I have had no battery issues so far with everything running.
Eventually I put some 6.5g Dr. Pulley sliders in to get better climbing abilities. Worked great.
And a Malossi torsion controller.

Fast forward to recently and it got a TP 70cc kit with all the goodies you need to go along with it.
ZTR 1,000rpm torque spring.
Also found a license plate light at the dealer that has angular lines and such so it fits the lines of the Zuma nicely.
the big square turn signals always bothered me. Seemed like whenever I looked at it my eyes went right to the signals.
So I found some at the Yamaha dealer that were cheap and fit nicely. For the front I just drilled out the hole bigger on the stock brackets and bent the tab down 90 degrees.
Then I decided to dump the plain old heat shield from the exhaust. Made one out of some steel mesh (this satisfies my Mad Max tendencies, you should see my car. Looks straight off the set of Mad Max.)
Then today something I've been wanting to try out for a long time was finally put together.
The ammo can side boxes. Fastened with some U-bolts and a foam rubber pad to protect the body on the front lower inside corner. Those will come in handy for hauling a few items on camping trips.

On to a few pics.

Don't really know how much I'll update this. For the time being I have it just how I want it. But I'm sure it'll get some things changed. I want to put a better fan on it by summer. Get a better clutch. Maybe a better variator. You know, the usual. :)

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19720

Last edited by TeamCatFlap on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:34 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Re: TeamCatFlap's '09 camping Zuma
Oh. And it also got a fork oil change to 15 weight. (I've read that 10w is stock) Got rid of a bit of bounce up front. Seems to stay hooked up on rough surfaces a bit better. :)

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:53 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I like it! And good for you for actually getting out there and putting some miles on it!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:32 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thanks! :)
I would have been riding it all winter, even went out and bought fancy rain gear and gloves. But we get too much frost and snow up here at the house, fun to dink around on in the driveway, not fun to try and get anywhere on. I may be moving down closer to Portland though in the near future. Then it'll see even more miles. :) Though it sees a lot of miles now because just to get to where I meet up with the club so we can go for a ride I've put on 30+ miles one way. I've never done a ride of less than 60 miles (the round trip to get to Portland and back). Except for the two times I just ran to Sandy for a beer run, those were about 14 mile round trips. ;)

Proly put a few hundred miles at least on it the last weekend of the month for Spring Scoot http://springscoot.com/ . That will be a good start to the season. I have a feeling I'll be seeing the odo turn over 10,000 by the end of summer. The club has some long rides planned (first camping trip is Portland to Bend via forest roads). We have this addiction where every ride has to be longer and more epic than the last. And has to be places where you really should not take 50cc scooters (everyone rides the smallest thing they got).

I should proly stock up on wear parts now...... Brake pads (already on my second set, lots of fast downhill braking), belts, buy a case of 2T oil, etc.......

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:16 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nice! It takes me a month to put 60 miles on!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:51 pm
Scoot Master

you're my new hero dude. i want to go on one of these long rides sometime! i already have a trip planned so im going to miss springscoot but maybe some other one.

what about gas? any plans to fashion up a jerry can? theres another guy from portland on here and he modified his tank its quite cool.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:10 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

So far I've been carrying either a gallon or a two gallon on the floorboard between my feet. I made some brackets (basically rounded "L" brackets) and use longer screws for the battery cover. then just bungee it down. Even with some rougher off road it's worked fine. Though the 2 gallon needs a long bungee hooked to the front of the body running through the can handle to stabilize it. The 1 gallon rides great. I put sticky back foam rubber padding on the sides of the cans that touch the floorboard and such.

I have looked into getting a 1 gallon Rotopax and was thinking of replacing one of the ammo cans with that. Gas on one side, storage on the other. But the whole setup would be in the $100 range once done.
Currently looking at well sealed cans that can fit under the seat for rides where I don't need the space. There is a company that makes a 1 gallon wedge shaped one to fit in Harley saddle bags that would fit against the back wall of the under seat compartment good. My only concern is due to it being a plastic can in a plastic compartment is static. Of course making sure it's packed in well (I always have an old towel or two) and again using foam rubber padding where it might rub on the inside of the compartment is a must.
And I'll just stick with the current setup that has served me well for the camping trips and whatnot. I'll proly do something better than just L brackets and bungees though in the long run.
I thought about just having a bigger tank made or finding one that was bigger that would fit. But that would pretty much cut into the under seat storage area. I don't want to lose that. I've seen that Zuma on here with the bigger tank, I was tempted. :)

We have decided that for the longer camping rides a support vehicle will be used this year, we figure riding your small scooter all day with your main camping gear on board will be enough of an adventure ;) . For the Hood River camping trip we had one show up that brought a cooler of beer and some firewood. But we did not have it following us. The coast camping trip to Pacific City we were on our own and had to make camp and then run to town for wood/beer after dropping our gear.

For the planned trip out to Camp Sherman near Bend we will have a vehicle carrying extra gas along for the trip just in case.
But that trip is dependent on when the snow melts out of the Cascades and if the roads we need to use are even open. the easy way happens to cut through the Warm Springs Indian Reservation so we can't use that route. We'll have to go down to Detroit Lake (I've already made that ride) and then go via a maze of forest roads to make our way east. I might recon it in a few months in the cage with the GPS tracking me to figure out if what I mapped is gonna work.

And I'll be trying to remember to post up here when I know details of the big rides. I know jdubbya had some interest in trailering his Zuma down and going along on one of them.

The coast camping trip. This is where I got the nickname "Rumrunner". The campground was way up in the coast range on a narrow twisty road. It was dark by the time we decided to run in for firewood and such and I led the way back down to town. Well I kind of clicked on the high beams and went for it. Once they caught up at the bottom where the store was it was decided to load up the fire wood on the back of my scoot to slow me down so I didn't kill myself on the way back up, though 50cc's and gravity would have taken care of any extra speed going back up..... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18507

My solo trip to Detroit. (this being one of those rides I ran into a pack of ADV touring bikes at a ranger station that thought it was cool but I was nuts to ride down there)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18277

The Hood River camping trip over Lolo Pass.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18103

Holy crap that turned into a novel........... :doh:

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 pm
Scooter Addict

I love the Ammo boxes, Ive got a similar setup!

Carry on.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:49 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

if you are not using the inderseat storage you can make a extra gas tank.

Attachments:
ap_F23_20090527074745992.jpg
ap_F23_20090527074745992.jpg [ 54.65 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 58.23 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
ap_F23_20090821121040795.jpg
ap_F23_20090821121040795.jpg [ 92.09 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]

RC Scooters
RuKn Customs, Race Concept, PG, Zubiku, GJMS,
http://www.facebook.com/RCscooters
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16410 <------ RC R&D
please ask i can e-mail it too you <--- zuma 125 service manual
Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Dave: I saw your trip you did on another forum. :) I had bought the boxes a while back with the intention but that trip inspired me to finally mount them. (And I was just gonna weld tabs to the rack to bolt them to, but I like the U-bolt method as it can be undone and nothing is changed)

I do use my under seat storage. But would like to see more of the Moto-Zumas. :) :cheers:
I've tried finding good vid of scooter cross and trials riding but have not been very lucky so far. (Except for some old Lambretta footage from the UK)

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 pm
Scooter Addict

TeamCatFlap wrote:
Dave: I saw your trip you did on another forum. :) I had bought the boxes a while back with the intention but that trip inspired me to finally mount them. (And I was just gonna weld tabs to the rack to bolt them to, but I like the U-bolt method as it can be undone and nothing is changed)

It works well, and doesn't really scratch the frame. At least on my 125. Unfortunately, I laid the zuma down in December on some loose gravel. The Box saved me and the scooter from serious damage. For whatever reason, Ive got to tighten the U bolts every thousand miles or so. If I felt like removing the boxes again, I would double nut the U Bolts.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Yeah being mine is on the rack it's a smaller tube/U-bolt. I actually have it resting at the bottom against the body panel with a 1/2" thick foam rubber pad protecting things. Seems solid, at least enough for my use. I figure I'll use them for lighter objects.

I have the u-bolts double nutted which gave me the right amount of spacing as well so the box is right up against it all with washers to provide more surface area. Then on the inside it's washers and lock nuts. So essentially is triple nutted with the last being the locknut. Should stay tight, but I'll keep an eye on it. :)

I might see if I can find some grade 8 bolts to replace the stock ones that hold the rack to the scoot just because as well. Not 100% sure on the quality/strength of the stock bolts.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:39 pm
Scooter Addict

TeamCatFlap wrote:
Yeah being mine is on the rack it's a smaller tube/U-bolt. I actually have it resting at the bottom against the body panel with a 1/2" thick foam rubber pad protecting things. Seems solid, at least enough for my use. I figure I'll use them for lighter objects.

I have the u-bolts double nutted which gave me the right amount of spacing as well so the box is right up against it all with washers to provide more surface area. Then on the inside it's washers and lock nuts. So essentially is triple nutted with the last being the locknut. Should stay tight, but I'll keep an eye on it. :)

I might see if I can find some grade 8 bolts to replace the stock ones that hold the rack to the scoot just because as well. Not 100% sure on the quality/strength of the stock bolts.

Good idea. I ended up using Wing nuts on the inside of the box, with the thinking that I could remove the boxes without any tools. Unfortunately, I didnt realize how much I had to torque the bolts down to make sure everything was snug.

Any particular reason why you want a different fuel carrying setup? Ive got a 1.3 Gal can that fits perfectly on my floorboard. Im always looking for more range though.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I'd like something that looks a bit more "set up" or hidden for certain rides. I do fine with the can on the floorboard as well most of the time.

But with the big Spring Scoot rally coming up I want to get a can I can feel safe just throwing under the seat. I think I found one. See, I'm not sure how these guys do their rides. It's a vintage scooter club that puts on the event and most of the scoots will be old Vespas and Lambrettas (there are always a lot of Rucks too judging by the pics from last year). They do two longer distance rides, one Saturday and one Sunday. I get about 50mpg (more around town just cruising) when I'm romping on it a lot with the 70cc and the Zuma holds about 1.5g. I know an extra gallon will be just right.

If these guys have longer range and are not into making gas station stops, I'd like to be able to top back off halfway through when we stop to stretch our legs. And not be that guy on his "mom's damn tupperware rental scooter" that has to stop for gas all the time (there is a bit of a class warfare in the scooter scene in Portland, but most are pretty cool about new scoots). But I don't want the can on the floorboard for the rides.
And it'll give me options in the future.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:22 pm
Scoot Master

this Kolpin unit looks pretty decent, might even fit somewhere nice?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/ ... on?ref=gmc

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301505

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next