View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 TeamCatFlap's '09 camping Zuma 
Scoot Master

scooters and mods: Zuma 50cc
Post Re: TeamCatFlap's '09 camping Zuma
I just put my TPT on and it did not have any markings as to what cc it was but it does have the small logo "TOP" but that is all I saw on my kit.

Mod list:
Top Performance 70cc, LV ZXR pipe, 17.5mm Carb, 90MJ,34Pilot, Doppler FG Reed block, 5.5g rollers, Yellow Contra, and hard clutch springs

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:13 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Yeah I don't remember seeing any markings on mine either regarding the displacement. Got mine at SPmotostore. At the time they were to only place on the continent that I found had them in stock. Looks like they don't right now though if its accurate.

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19720

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:08 pm
Scooter Addict

Good to see a portlander on here although Im actually in vancouver wa. Im starting a stock pile of parts including the top performances 70cc kit. When i get everything in over the winter it would be great to have some help from someone who has already done it if you would not mind. I have a build thread called couch build thread.

Stock airbox with snorkle
leo vince zx-r
carbon fiber reeds
ncy107mm clutch
ncy107mm clutch bell

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:33 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sorry about my absence. The "big scooting season" in Portland ended and focus shifted a bit. ;)
(Generally rides have me coming home late, and it's cold and frosty up by the house.)

I think just about everything I know about it should be here. Also check the 70cc build thread in the first post of this one.
Just remember to chamfer the ports in the bore. My TP Trophy kit had sharp edges. Don't want a ring catching and trashing your new build.

Any other questions I'll try to answer as best I can. Mine has been running great other than a rattle from my pipe I think..... Didn't do it before I parked it for a couple months and I went to ride it the other day and things sound funny. I need to tear into some stuff (first I'll try just pulling the pipe and shaking it, something might be in there?.......)

Another member of the scooter club I ride with has a Zuma that he put a kit on. Different kit. But I can run stuff by him too. He's been into scooters and motorcycles all his life. But new to Zumas, though he is familiar with the engine setup.

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:42 pm
Scooter Addict

Very cool I think my hardest part will be jetting the carb correctly. Once I get everything here and am ready to put it all together

leo vince zx-r
carbon fiber reeds
ncy107mm clutch
ncy107mm clutch bell

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The 84 main jet I'm running seems to work good all summer with my setup. And can just go to the dealer and order one.
The Zuma comes with an 80 main jet in it. My method was to buy an 82 (not even tried it yet), and two 84 jets. I then drilled one of the 84 jets out slightly bigger to be the break in/winter jet. I used a drill set used for cleaning cutting torch tips. Don't know the size of the drill but it was one bigger than fit through the 84. I'm guessing it would be about and 85-86 equivalent (if Yamaha even made odd numbers).
Then I just filed off the "84" on that jet to tell them apart.
I also used the pilot jet out of a Vino (I'm forgetting the numbers on the pilot jets.....).

I ran it for months with the Vino pilot and the drilled out jet before I switched out to the actual 84 for summer. Jury is still out if I should switch back for winter riding (cold air can lean it out some needing a bigger jet). As I've not done a whole lot of riding since the weather turned cold and wet.

There is a thread somewhere on jets that has the part numbers for them. But I might have the bags around still and can post them up if I didn't already to make ordering easier. I'll be gone all weekend but next week I'll try to remember to look for the bags (gonna write a note and put it on the computer right now).
There are other jets guys have used as well. I just went with the Yamaha ones as they were easy to get and others have used them with success.

My opinion on jetting has been: Better to be slightly more rich than you need to and lose a slight bit of power and go through plugs faster, than to be too lean and go through cylinder kits faster. :)
Oh, and the plugs can usually be bought from NAPA for like $2. Just give them the plug #. Way cheaper than the same plug from an online scoot shop for $7. ;)

I'm nowhere near a scooter tuning guru. But I guess I got lucky after a lot of reading here and have had few if any problems.
And I rode it HARD this past spring/summer. It took a trip to Christmas Valley via rural highways and forest roads and a few trips to Sisters this past summer, all loaded down with camping gear. Some stretches with wide open throttle for almost a whole tank of gas at a time and pulling mountain passes. Still runs good, I'm happy (and still feel lucky with how it's holding together.). :)

And yes, I'm all about using the wrong tool for the job. But cross state scooting is a blast. ;)
Some of the trips have threads in the pics section if you are interested.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:33 am
Scooter Addict

so you are still running the stock carb but with different jets? I have read everywhere here that you cannot run a 70cc kit with the stock carb(14mm i think). How many miles do you have on the the 70cc kit so far?

leo vince zx-r
carbon fiber reeds
ncy107mm clutch
ncy107mm clutch bell

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:43 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Yeah stock carb, bigger jets. I also, because it's a 2009 and the EPA messed with them, have done the throttle mod (It's just grinding the stop off the cam to get more travel, pre 2008 did not have the stop).
Oh and I got a carb needle out of a 2005 carb so I could adjust it. Raised it up one notch so it opens faster. Mine was not adjustable (again, EPA).

I have somewhere around 5,000 miles on the 70cc.
And hope for many more, but really should look into a bigger carb, but the whole if it's not broke don't fix it thing.....
The TP Trophy is a good kit. Others may rev higher, others may give more peak power. But it's almost like a bigger version of the stock stuff. And has proven for many to be durable and easy to tune. Plus if you want to it can be a high end ripper with more advanced tuning to get it within an inch of it's life.

If you planned on a carb upgrade with the 70cc anyway and are budgeting it in to the build. I'd stick with that plan. You can find out lots of info around here on the fave carbs and how to tune them. :)
But if you stay stock carb, let me know and I can dig up those jet part numbers.

Benefits will be better jet selection so you can dial it in better. And I would think a longer lasting engine over the long haul. Plus a bit more power I would think.

I may be off. But I think the combo you'll see the most around here is: Top Performance Trophy 70cc kit, 17mm carb, Leo Vince ZX-R. (Then all the other various little bits and pieces to bring it all together, like carbon reeds, and new small end bearing for piece of mind and durability.)
As long as they took the time to get the jetting right, guys with that combo just seem to be all smiles and have very few issues. :)

For me my whole build was a budget thing. I knew I wanted a good 70cc kit. Didn't get a bigger carb as it was not in the budget at the time. When my stock pipe had the catalytic converter break apart inside I went with the TT as I got it for just over $100 from Motorcycle Superstore as they were having a big sale on them at the time.
But bigger carb and ZX-R have always been in the back of my mind. ;)
(ZX-R makes it's power at a bit higher RPM, and is actually quieter than the TT. But I was needing to get the scoot running again NOW for a big ride. So the TT was a pretty much "budget friendly upgraded repair pipe".)

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:20 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Cool build man!

I was wondering how much stuff can you actually put in these ammo cans. Im in need of some storage since I put all my stuff in the underseat and oil usually ends up leaking everywhere from the quart. Found a few ammo cans online, but wondering what size should I pick up if I want to put a quart of oil in there and some other goodies.

'94 Yamaha Jog - MHR BigBore 77cc, Yasuni C30, Stage6 HPC 12mm, MHR Digital Direct + EPROM 3 CDI, Dell'Orto VHST 28mm BS, Stage6 Big Valve intake, Stage6 NBR reeds, Malossi MHR Overrange 2005, Stage6 Torque Control + Stage6 CNC 450g bell, 14/46 primary gears

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The smaller size like I have should fit a quart in there no problem with some room to spare. :)
Take not though that mounted like mine there are some bolts sticking through to the inside. Would have to put some padding over those and probably wrap the oil bottle in a rag to keep a hole from getting worn in it.
You would probably want to wrap it in a rag enough to make it a snug fit anyway as vibrating and sliding around in the can could eventually wear through the bottle.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4