View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 YAMAHA ZUMA125 build 
Scoot Master

scooters and mods: met/ruck hybrid, Zuma 125
Post YAMAHA ZUMA125 build
He everyone. New to the zuma world, this is my third bike. I've also got a softail custom and a metuckus. Anyhow, yet to name it, but I found it at a great price.

here goes!

the most recent picture will be updated here:

Metuckus 50cc

Last edited by pyrogen on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:31 pm
Scoot Master

Post Re: This bike is not yet named.
First night in the stable.
The bike came with a Yoshimura already installed!

Metuckus 50cc

Last edited by pyrogen on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:35 pm
Scoot Master

First "mod".
"Fenderectomy"
A friend gave me some highly visable koso LED tail lights!

Metuckus 50cc

Last edited by pyrogen on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 pm
Newb
Newb

very nice! hope the red lights don't get you pulled over too much lol :toot:

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:29 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

:confused: why would red tail lights get him pulled over? Nice bike btw! :cheers:

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:39 pm
Scoot Master

They'll definately get me noticed on the road more! Much safer and better looking! Now, the journey begins. This will probably be a slow build, my Metropolitan takes priority, but For the Zuma, I hope to do the following:

-Lower Drag-bars
-TST Variator
-Upgears*
-Over & Under Headlights
-Stretch
-Rear Tail cover
-Highway Bars

*(This may have already been done by the Previous owner. Not sure yet really. my phone's GPS said I was doing 62mph when my needle was at 70, but yesterday my needle touched the center of the Yamaha Symbol. No GPS Confirmation to speed, but I FINALLY heard my rev limiter going that fast. My buddy with a stock zuma + Leo Vince Pipe gets me off the line, but I reel him in above 50. He said he had slightly lighter weights too.)

Metuckus 50cc

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:05 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 155 BBK w/cam, TST with 8/12gr, 1000rpm spring, Polini 42:13 gears & K-belt, GJMS GP-2 r-shocks
Very nice - congratulations.

And a GOOD top speed !

2009 BWs 155 RC BBK plus cam, Simota drop-in air filter, Leo Vince exhaust, TST variator (10/12 gr sliders), Stage6 clutch, Prodigy torque-driver and clutch bell, 1000rpm spring on NCY bearings, Polini 13:43 gears and kevlar belt, GJMS GP-2 rear shocks & 260mm front disk with NCY steel line, Trickle X highway pegs, C3 mirrors on extenders, Michelin Power Pure SC tires

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:55 am
Scoot Master

Thank you! Got to top it out today and had the GPS going at the same time.

The needle was somewhere around here:

And to my surprise, my GPS Read 78.3mph. There's always a possibility it's lying to me, but I was on the interstate (65mph) and WOT. Hung out in the middle lane, passing slower cars on the right, and occasionally cars on the left would zip past me.

As I said, I bought this bike used with 4,000 miles on it. I'm [fairly] certain it's not a big bore (buddy with a stock zuma 125 & Leo Vince pipe takes me until I start reeling him back in around 50 and pull past), but with a hard tuck and a good freeway draft, 78.3mph at the rev limiter tells me it's not stock gearing. In my expirence (I re-geared & put a variator on my Metuckus), a variator alone isn't good enough for THAT much extra top end. I need a solid day that I can be left alone to my tools and garage to tear into the transmission and see what all is stock and what might not be. Anything else I should check for while I'm in there?

The bike originally had New Mexico plates on it, and was traded in at a Texas Yamaha dealership for "something a bit bigger". If anyone knows any Former New Mexican Zuma owners who recently moved to Texas, I may be able to track them down to get the scoop on this bike.

Metuckus 50cc

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:20 pm
Scoot Master

New Handlebars came in today. Depending on how much time I've got, I may try and slip them on. Pictures to follow soon!

Metuckus 50cc

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 125
If GPS held steady at that number for more than a few seconds, then I think it's accurate.

If you use your phone for GPS, I highly recommend Ulysses Speedometer Pro. I forget what features the Pro has over the free version, but it was only $3. I mainly like it since I can customize the color-scheme to red, and it's very 'race'-minded, in its features.

Anywho, either way, even a sudden jump in speed displayed, even if it's for a moment, still says a lot. I think the highest recorded speed on my stock CVT/Engine setup is 59, on a flat highway.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
wGps on phone is worthless they all default to.using cell towers and that throws the accuracy out the window

Ive used several aps.both on the tablet and the phone
The phone apps always read higher and no where near the accuracy when trying to geocache because they default to towers

Even the tablet with no cell set up is no where near as accurate as a dedicated high dollar GPS

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:03 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
maybe someone changed the gears on it
why you could be accelerating slower at the start

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Scoot Master

Well, whatever the case I was on a 65mph road keeping up the whole time with traffic and down here 65 is a surefire 70+ on the freeway.

Today saw the addition of new bars.

Metuckus 50cc

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:05 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 125
jmkjr72 wrote:
wGps on phone is worthless they all default to.using cell towers and that throws the accuracy out the window

Ive used several aps.both on the tablet and the phone
The phone apps always read higher and no where near the accuracy when trying to geocache because they default to towers

Even the tablet with no cell set up is no where near as accurate as a dedicated high dollar GPS

I don't doubt your knowledge in this area. I just have to wonder, does it depend on where you're at, and your settings? Also, the Ulysses app itself came highly regarded, and I seem to recall something about it being more accurate, but it was kind of greek to me. In any case, I compared the miles in google maps and the miles recorded and they were spot on (Odometer under-estimated total miles, but I had a 130 on front pumped to 60psi, instead of the stock 120; so I'm sure it would've been accurate, otherwise.) ALSO, I just recalled, my GPS goes out when I'm under a bridge/overpass. There's a particular light that always has me stuck under one on the way to work; but of course I still have cell service; the GPS display gives me the "---" though. If it was falling back on tower-triangulation, wouldn't my GPS continue to display (0 mph and long/lat etc)?

Maybe speed-displayed is off, but it still manages to provide accurate trip mileage?

Quote:
Today saw the addition of new bars.

Sweet. It's really coming together nicely. Now just throw on some pegs for that forced-lean. Check out my build and lemme know if you want help with that part; if you choose to go that route. I went with MX pegs but any pegs with the right mount would work.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
The gps works on multiple cell towers not just one
Hell up here i lose cell srevice going under bridges too
So when your in that spot not moving maybe you loose on tower just long enough
Google maps isnt always right
I can show you sevral places in my area where they have 20+ year old roads ploted wrong because they went off of old lnd survays that were wrong

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next