View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE50, JOG, VINO BUILD 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE50, JOG, VINO BUILD
Last summer I had a '05 bugeye, with the following specs:
- MHR Team 1 70cc L/C
- Yasuni C16
- Stage6 HPC 12mm crank
- Malossi Multivar
- Malossi Delta 107
- 15/50 upgears
- Stock advanced ignition
- Stage6 intake
- Stage6 V-Force 3 reeds
- Dell'Orto 21mm, stock airbox
- Bosch electric water pump, 2x YZ250F radiators
- Michelin Bopper tires
- Zuma 50F handguards, JDM tail with clear lenses, Stage6 cluster

I was using it for both track use (lapping) and street use. When we have track days, we go on karting circuits and often we follow a local supermoto group because we run on the same kind of tracks (minus the dirt parts). Stock-ish esthetics for a sleeper look.

The thing is a screamer... pulls great. *Almost* happy with it. Almost because, we always want more :gonk:

I had acqured an used Metrakit Pro Race 2, which I traded to my friend for a Yamaha Jog '94 he got for cheap. And, I also managed to find a second bugeye frame (without papers, so it can't go on the street) and enough parts to built it back up. So, for 2014 I'm doing stuff differently.
- Selling the street legal bugeye, pictured above. It will be rebuilt with good used stock-ish parts, and my cleanest plastic set.
- Build the extra bugeye frame for track use, and it will be participating in the "stock" category. So stock carb, stock bore, stock gears. It will have an exhaust, most likely a Tecnigas Tek, and my Bopper tires. I have a set of ruined plastics that I will use for it.
- Swapping my parts to the Jog, pictured below. The whole liquid cooled Team is going in there. Along with a few bonuses...

About that Jog... It's a 2T Minarelli horizontal design, the cylinder/crank design is the same as our bugeyes. The CVT cover is different along with the whole rear-end. It's a short case made for tiny wheels, right now it is running a 80-90/10 (3.00" X 10) tire. I might step that up to a 3.75" tire, but I like the look of the skinny tire. I'll be opening up the crankcase a bit to help the cylinder breathe, but nothing massive. The Jog will also have a beater/sleeper look... right now the plastics are all black, and I am thinking about keeping them that way. It has no rear taillights right now so I will grab an european model tail unit, so they will be integrated in the scooter instead of hanging on the rear rack. For now I also plan on rocking the stock steering with the integrated head light and turn signals, until I figure out what to do with headlights if I decide to ditch the stock handlebar. I will also be rocking those huge, mismatched rear mirrors! The monoseat needs some love so I will reupholster it, but I dont know which color or material yet.

More importantly, the Jog is 80-90lbs lighter than the bugeye (120# vs ~200-210#). That, and the rare sight they are, makes for the reasons I am swapping my bugeye for a Jog. I really like the bugeye's handling and overall feel, but I want to have a few rides with the Jog before selling the bugeye to make sure I don't end up regretting the swap lol. But I think I'll have a blast on the Jog. I mostly do city riding and very occasionally long runs. The front drum isn't too much of a worry considering I don't plan on riding much faster than what it could do stock (and stock they are faster than both prebugs and bugeyes!).
- MHR Team 1 70cc L/C
- Yasuni C16
- Stage6 HPC 12mm crank
- MHR Overrange variator + rear pulley
- Stage6 Torque Control MK2 + Stage6 CNC 450 bell
- Stock gearing (I have no idea what ratio Jogs have)
- Stock advanced ignition
- Stage6 intake
- Stage6 V-Force 3 reeds
- Dell'Orto 21mm, new stock Jog airbox
- Bosch electric water pump, 2x YZ250F radiators (Not sure yet on how I will setup the radiators. Might use only one, because there isn't a whole lot of space on a Jog)

I got the Jog engine today, so I had fun swapping things over to see how they'd look. First picture is the current Bugeye case vs the Jog case. To use my Stage6 stand I had to use a shock and didn't have the stock Jog one so I used my bugeye shock. The Jog will have either a stock shock, or a prebug shock (they are slightly taller and stiffer). Bugeye shocks are too long and stiff for a Jog.

I have no pictures of the track bugeye because it's in pieces. I'll get some when I start building it. It'll look like any other bugeye, except with rugged plastics and missing parts here and there such as the lights.

'94 Yamaha Jog - MHR BigBore 77cc, Yasuni C30, Stage6 HPC 12mm, MHR Digital Direct + EPROM 3 CDI, Dell'Orto VHST 28mm BS, Stage6 Big Valve intake, Stage6 NBR reeds, Malossi MHR Overrange 2005, Stage6 Torque Control + Stage6 CNC 450g bell, 14/46 primary gears

Last edited by Goshi on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:19 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Re: Street '94 Jog (MHR Team 70cc LC) + stock Track Bugeye
I need to get my LC setup done....How do you find time...or the energy...I just enjoy riding now a days.......I just got a 2008 Yamaha FZ1....and I'm all smiles. But I feel TERRIBLE with my Zuma not finished still.

How did you get your 21mm Dellorto PHBG on the stock intake??? what intake did you use? and did you take that plastic bellmouth off the 21mm carb? What intake did you use if you didn't use stock intake? I was THINKING about using the 22-24.5mm intake I saw on Provoscooter. Bugguy from here, told me he thinks the stock intake would restrict the flow to about 17.5mm with stock intake. I talk to him via text since we've known each other for years via phone/text message and he lives about 90 miles north. I don't know if he comes on here anymore, but he only has a french Moped right now and nothing else. He's kinda out of the game and got into fishing.

Stage 6 HPC 12MM
Stage 6 R1200 exhaust
Stock airbox snorkel out.
Malossi VL12 reed cage
MHR Over range
MHR Delta clutch w/ wing bell, Black springs, Red Malossi Contra.
Dellorto PHBG Black racing 21MM
Athena 14/42 Primaries 11:1 gearing
Stage six F1 Glossy Carbon fiber Mirrors
Integrated rear turn signals
dual headlight mod.
Cut and drilled CVT cover
Stage six Mk I Chrome kick starter.
Motul 800 Double ester ran at 25:1
2004 Yamaha Zuma "Clubber" Air Cooled bike, build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24265&p=318426#p318426 Sold Feb 2nd 2014
Top Performances Trophy 70cc
Leo Vince ZX chrome
Athena 15/50 Gears
Malossi Multivar
84 MJ stock carb
Yellow Malossi clutch springs Yellow Malossi Torque spring
Stage Six F1 Mirrors
Stage Six MK II kick starter.
Motul 710
2004 Yamaha R1 "Punisher" sold May 2013 (sad face) stupid legal trouble
Two Brothers dual exhaust.
1987 Yamaha FZ700 stolen September 4th 2012 "Scorcher"
4-1 Vance and Hines full exhaust
K&N airfilter in stock airbox
Stage 2 Dyno jet kit.
1974 Yamaha RD250: Sold April 2nd 2011 "Arty"
TDR Hyper tension reeds
K&N air filter

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:31 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sorry to threadjack, and I like your Bugeye setup you had/have/disassembled.

Stage 6 HPC 12MM
Stage 6 R1200 exhaust
Malossi VL12 reed cage
MHR Over range
dual headlight mod.
2004 Yamaha Zuma "Clubber" Air Cooled bike, build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24265&p=318426#p318426 Sold Feb 2nd 2014
Leo Vince ZX chrome
Athena 15/50 Gears
Malossi Multivar
84 MJ stock carb
Stage Six F1 Mirrors
Motul 710
Stage 2 Dyno jet kit.
TDR Hyper tension reeds
K&N air filter

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:31 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
Quote:
How did you get your 21mm Dellorto PHBG on the stock intake??? what intake did you use?

Assuming you're talking about the bugeye, you just need a new one that hasn't become brittle, and it just pops on. I had a thread about this when I did it a few months ago.

But you can grind it down with a Dremel to fit it on while you're waiting for the part to arrive...in fact it might have been the other side that I replaced; if I remember right, I didn't replace both sides.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:08 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: *2002 yamaha vino classic*
Sweet! A Jog build with lots of potential. It's rare to see jogs now a days let alone a modified one, I'll be keeping my eye on this build. Only if OverRev was still on the forums he would have been tons of help

Engine mods:
Motoforce Evo crank Stage 6 Streetrace kit Dellorto 17.5 man choke
Polini carbon fiber reeds. Gianelli shot exhaust
CVT mods:
Polini Variator. Hebo Driveface. Malossi Winged Clutch Bell. Stage 6 clutch springs
Suspension:
RDR Nitrogen Filled Shock (rear)
Frame:
Home fabricated 6" stretch 2" lower
ZF member #14

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:35 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Batzdorf, not the airbox hose, the intake for the reedblock.

Stage 6 HPC 12MM
Stage 6 R1200 exhaust
Malossi VL12 reed cage
MHR Over range
dual headlight mod.
Leo Vince ZX chrome
Athena 15/50 Gears
Malossi Multivar
84 MJ stock carb
Stage Six F1 Mirrors
Motul 710
Stage 2 Dyno jet kit.
TDR Hyper tension reeds
K&N air filter

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:21 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

I wanted a sleeper look, but I think I'll be going for something more original that we don't see much around here (in fact I havent seen it on scooters yet, even on Google)... I'll be painting the plastics using chalkboard paint. That way I'll be able to use chalks to draw whatever on it and have fun changing the look of it every now and then. Besides, it's washable lol. I guess I will have to buy a cover for the Jog since it will sleep outside, if it starts raining it will wash itself out. When not chalked up however, the plastics will be matte black.

I have ordered an european style taillight assembly (originally the Jogs have the lights on the tiny rack at the rear) which integrates the taillight into the fairings. I also ordered an OEM-style airbox. It has a larger elbow than the stock bugeye airbox for less restriction, and is better suited to fit on that crankcase.

Minareliisavant wrote:
Sorry to threadjack, and I like your Bugeye setup you had/have/disassembled.

molefb wrote:
Sweet! A Jog build with lots of potential. It's rare to see jogs now a days let alone a modified one, I'll be keeping my eye on this build. Only if OverRev was still on the forums he would have been tons of help

Thanks! Im still not quite sure removing the Team from it is the best idea so far, because I really like how it came out in the end. However, it has much better value once rebuilt as stock compared to a Jog, and the Jog will have a lot more oomph with all that weight not there. Besides I've always been an oldschool-ish kind of guy... I like how the Jog looks :D

About the intake. I am using the Stage6 intake, but I just tried fitting it on the intake that was originally on the Jog (could be off a bugeye, since it had a bugeye stock carb on it when I got the Jog) and it fits. Very snugly however... putting it in is hard while the intake is on the engine. As Nick said, it needs to be fairly soft. It doesn't need to be brand new, but earlier Bugeyes could be harder to fit.

I'm using the gray plastic bellmouth thing for the airbox. It actually wasnt on this specific carb; it was on my friend's carb, which was the same thing but not for the same scooter. So I'm not sure if the bellmouth is the same.

Anyway, I'll let the pictures talk a bit.

Carb on a stock intake:

Size of the bellmouth is just around 1 5/8":

Picture of the bellmouth vs the airbox elbow. The red circle shows where I needed to use a knife to remove a very thin layer of material so it could fit easier on the bellmouth. I dont think I removed 1/32" worth of stuff. If it's hard to put on, try "filing" the elbow out. Even now it's very hard to put on and remove.

'94 Yamaha Jog - MHR BigBore 77cc, Yasuni C30, Stage6 HPC 12mm, MHR Digital Direct + EPROM 3 CDI, Dell'Orto VHST 28mm BS, Stage6 Big Valve intake, Stage6 NBR reeds, Malossi MHR Overrange 2005, Stage6 Torque Control + Stage6 CNC 450g bell, 14/46 primary gears

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I bought a new airbox connector that goes to the carb, and that made it super easy to put on. But the stock intake does not fit, it has a part where it narrows down.....and will physically won't let it happen. I have no idea how you got the stock intake to go on a 21mm....

Stage 6 HPC 12MM
Stage 6 R1200 exhaust
Malossi VL12 reed cage
MHR Over range
dual headlight mod.
Leo Vince ZX chrome
Athena 15/50 Gears
Malossi Multivar
84 MJ stock carb
Stage Six F1 Mirrors
Motul 710
Stage 2 Dyno jet kit.
TDR Hyper tension reeds
K&N air filter

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:21 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

The carb should have a matching narrow groove to lock the carb to the intake.

Use some 2T oil to lube stuff up. Then force it in.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:34 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '08 Zuma, "The Fly," '96 Jog "In progress."
If a Jog is faster, what do they rev to with those small tires? I'm just curious if a crank swap is mandatory with any significant Jog mod or what.

08 Zuma "The Fly" 50: Stage6 Racing Mk.1 (0.7 squish), Athena Race exhaust (S6 Pro), Malossi RHQ crank, Doppler 15/50s, Dellorto 21mm PHBG DS (60/42/90), Top Perf. Vforce3 reed valve, Malossi Multivar w/drive face, Malossi Delta Clutch & Wing bell (Yellow contra, yellow clutch springs on stiffest), Stage 6 R/T forks, Stage6 R/T 4 pot brake, S6 280mm big brake, Aerox 100 rims, S6 CNC'd controls, Brembo master cylinder, Hoca/Bando ignition, naked bars, manual petcock, Pirelli SL26s, dual light mod, re-profiled seat, LED signals, doodads and gizmos (TT Vapor, Harris Project R1 grips, silly stuff) and always running Amsoil Dominator.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:10 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

FScott wrote:
If a Jog is faster, what do they rev to with those small tires? I'm just curious if a crank swap is mandatory with any significant Jog mod or what.

They should be revving similar to a regular bugeye. The difference is in the gear ratio. "Wet" weight is spec'ed at 143lbs according to the service manual, including full oil and fuel tanks. Not only do they accelerate a bit faster than a stock Bugeye (dont know about the prebugs), they also have a slightly higher top speed (2-3mph more if I remember).

My friend had a Jog for a long time, and he can't stress enough how much he LOVES the gearing on a stock Jog. He used to stunt the hell out of it... before selling it, then buying it back, then turning it into a dragster. lol.

The factory rear tire is a 80/90-10 (which is what I have). Primary ratio is 3.692 (48/13), secondary ratio is 3.455 (38/11). Variator and rear pulley seems identical between a bugeye and this (I'm thinking Jogs, prebugs and bugeyes all had the same CVT components); however, the center-to-center measurements between the crankshaft and the primary gears is longer on the Jog, but I think this has no effect on the transmission ratio.

I dont know how to do the maths to find out the RPM/speed thing. If someone knows, I'd be interested to find out how much I should be able to get @ 10K and 11K RPM :)

I cant wait to see how it pulls... might have some taming to do :whip:

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:23 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '08 Zuma, "The Fly," '96 Jog "In progress."
:doh: I didn't even think about the gearing! Makes perfect sense.

And I believe you're correct about the Jog/bugeye trans being almost the same, just based on how many shared part #s there are. If I order something from a European source it's most likely labeled for Jog if it's not labelled for a BWs.

08 Zuma "The Fly" 50: Stage6 Racing Mk.1 (0.7 squish), Athena Race exhaust (S6 Pro), Malossi RHQ crank, Doppler 15/50s, Dellorto 21mm PHBG DS (60/42/90), Top Perf. Vforce3 reed valve, Malossi Multivar w/drive face, Malossi Delta Clutch & Wing bell (Yellow contra, yellow clutch springs on stiffest), Stage 6 R/T forks, Stage6 R/T 4 pot brake, S6 280mm big brake, Aerox 100 rims, S6 CNC'd controls, Brembo master cylinder, Hoca/Bando ignition, naked bars, manual petcock, Pirelli SL26s, dual light mod, re-profiled seat, LED signals, doodads and gizmos (TT Vapor, Harris Project R1 grips, silly stuff) and always running Amsoil Dominator.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:43 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: currently building.....
Sorry I'm joining this late....the 21mm carb fits the stock intake....motoforce derestricted intake with a little pressure/force no problem.

And if I'm not mistaken the case sizes are different between the jog and bugeye....

2005 Zuma-MKII Race, MKII 21MM PHBG 40/92, C16, 12mm Crank, B9HS/LBO5EP 5K Cap, Advanced Timing, +1 Ignition Coil, Premix 32:1, Derestricted Intake, VF3's, MHR OverRange Complete, 27 grams, MHR Delta Clutch, MHR Wing Bell, Red Contra, Blue Springs, Torsion Controller, 15/50 upgears (SOON 14/42), Oversize Fan, Snork removed, Start Block Off Plate, Throttle Cable and Single Pull Tube, Dual Headlight Mod, Integrated Rear Signals, Boppers, Tach/Temp Gauge, kickstand.

I GOT MACHETES AND SWORDS FOR ALL YOU FAGGOTS THAT ROAR....Image

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:43 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Vaporz wrote:
Sorry I'm joining this late....the 21mm carb fits the stock intake....motoforce derestricted intake with a little pressure/force no problem.

And if I'm not mistaken the case sizes are different between the jog and bugeye....

Which case part are you talking about? If you're talking about the CVT cover, they are different.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:38 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: currently building.....
Is it just the CVT cover? I know that the JOG engine is a "shortcase" and Zumas are "longcase" minarellis. Different specs. When I originally was sent my Overrange kit I was sent one for the jog and the belt was to small, not long enough if I remember correctly. So there has to be some offset I would think between the two's internal spacing, input drive shaft and crank.

Quote:
Yamaha also used the Minarelli engine in their popular Zuma / BWS scooter. The first generation of Zuma (CW50) used the same vertical motor as the CE50/CG50 Jog, while the second generation ZW50 Zuma (’02 - ’11) used the same horizontal Minarelli engine as the CY50 Jog.

Maybe somebody could clear this up....I'm looking for info and I thought the jog wasn't made after 2001. And I just read they are the same...so what is shortcase, longcase??????

2005 Zuma-MKII Race, MKII 21MM PHBG 40/92, C16, 12mm Crank, B9HS/LBO5EP 5K Cap, Advanced Timing, +1 Ignition Coil, Premix 32:1, Derestricted Intake, VF3's, MHR OverRange Complete, 27 grams, MHR Delta Clutch, MHR Wing Bell, Red Contra, Blue Springs, Torsion Controller, 15/50 upgears (SOON 14/42), Oversize Fan, Snork removed, Start Block Off Plate, Throttle Cable and Single Pull Tube, Dual Headlight Mod, Integrated Rear Signals, Boppers, Tach/Temp Gauge, kickstand.

I GOT MACHETES AND SWORDS FOR ALL YOU FAGGOTS THAT ROAR....Image

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 352 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next