View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 YAMAHA ZUMA bugeye50, bws 
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2005 BWS
Post Re: Firehawk989's '05 BWS Build
Panther_GT wrote:
What were your top speeds with all of the mods before and after your upgears?

I didn't have time to put the gears in this weekend, hopefully next weekend. Right now if I really wind it out to 10kRPM I can get it to maybe 76 or 78km/h. (About 47mph) But that's indicated on the stock speedo, so it could be slower in reality. Haven't checked with a GPS yet. This is with a brand new belt, Dr. Pulley sliders, and an NCY secondary sliding sheave.

I'll let you know what the new numbers are once I have the gears in.

TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, Stock Carb 84 Main, Needle 1 Rich, Stock Airbox Snorkel Removed, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, NCY Adjustable Torque Driver, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:44 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Nick Batzdorf wrote:
15/50s will make a difference of about 4MPH, and you won't feel any loss of power after you put in lighter rollers.

Yea I'll be happy if I can get a solid 50mph out of it. Only thing left now is the carb upgrade and a new rear shock at some point.

TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, Stock Carb 84 Main, Needle 1 Rich, Stock Airbox Snorkel Removed, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, NCY Adjustable Torque Driver, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:50 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Upgears are in! I lost a tiny bit of off-the-line acceleration, but not any uphill speed which I'm happy about. Top speed is now over 80km/h. (Haven't found a long enough flat stretch with no traffic to fully wind it out yet.)

So how big of a difference am I going to see when I switch to a bigger carb? Significantly more power?

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:25 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would think so! Well, maybe not top speed, but acceleration should be at the "hold on tight" level.....

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:15 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had a good performance increase with my Carb upgrade. The Carb is the easy part:
The hardest part of going to a performance Carb is the mechanical end. The single pull cable and manual choke, then making it fit the air box. Hell, tuning is the easiest part IMO.

If you get a performance Carb, ( Dellorto 19,21) you have a good choice of internal parts to make it perform with what ever you would use as a motor from here out.
IMO, the bigger Carb extends the life of the motor, as well as out performing the OEM. When properly tuned.

I replaced my throttle tube & housing. I used a motion-pro cable. I used with a short choke cable, on the transmission housing. The 19mm is the one I would recommend.
The 21 is a little more fussy tuning.

The Dellorto racing black series are user friendly, changing tuning parts are figured into the racing design. I would recommend the stage 6, if you are unfamiliar with Carburetors.
They have a pretty good set of jets and needle choices in there Carb.

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:36 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
Quote:
I lost a tiny bit of off-the-line acceleration

Then try lighter rollers.

+++
Interesting to hear Corrosion recommend the 19mm. I really like my 21mm, but I haven't tried a 19 so I have no basis for comparison. It sure is better and easier to tune than the 17.5mm ones I had, though.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:02 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice, thanks for the tips guys! I was originally looking at a 17.5mm carb because I wanted to keep the e-choke, but I've gotten over that and am planning to go with the 19mm when I do upgrade. Everyone says the 19mm is better and easier to tune, so I should probably listen to them.

I think I'm getting pretty close to finished. Carb and rear shock are the only major things left that I want to do.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:46 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

What main and pilot jets should I get for my setup with the 19mm carb?

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:49 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Firehawk989 wrote:
Nice, thanks for the tips guys! I was originally looking at a 17.5mm carb because I wanted to keep the e-choke, but I've gotten over that and am planning to go with the 19mm when I do upgrade. Everyone says the 19mm is better and easier to tune, so I should probably listen to them.

I think I'm getting pretty close to finished. Carb and rear shock are the only major things left that I want to do.

The 19 mm Dellorto black racing is a great carb. I run it on both of my bikes. Couldn't tell you though on what are good jets because I run open airfilters on both (no where to mount stock box with my cvt covers)
Drowsports has them usually and for a really good price. They have the jet kits as well.

p.s. you should put some Aerox wheels on your scoot. I just so happen to know a guy who has some :)

Malossi MHR Big Bore 77 LC, Malossi RHQ crank, Roost 86 pipe, 28mm Keihin PWK Carb, Stage6 reverse intake manifold, Custom Subframe, Stage6 Vforce3 reed valve, Polini open air Filter, Malossi 2010 Over Range, Polini 2G clutch, Dr Pulley clutch bell, Malossi yellow contra. Aerox wheels. ProTaper bars. Buzzeti side stand. Many more upgrades to come...

2008 Zuma 50
2012 Zuma 50 (sold)
2006 Metropolitan selling/parting out!
2003 Derbi Red Bullet

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:04 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
Quote:
I was originally looking at a 17.5mm carb because I wanted to keep the e-choke, but I've gotten over that and am planning to go with the 19mm when I do upgrade. Everyone says the 19mm is better and easier to tune, so I should probably listen to them

I don't miss the e-choke at all, and I only need the manual one for five seconds when the bike is cold. Vancouver is wetter and colder in the winter, but I doubt it's radically different.

As for tuning, I'd also be surprised if it makes much difference if you're tuning a 19mm or a 21mm. In theory, smaller carbs are easier to tune because the circuits blend better. In practice I found the 21mm much easier to tune than the 17.5mm, maybe because it's more obvious what needs changing. Or maybe it was just because I knew what the range was to start with.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:05 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

I got my 19mm PHBG from scooterattack, and it was way cheaper than the other merchants. Granted, the shipping is higher, so it may be a wash in the end, but it's worth looking at.

I love the 19 as opposed to the 17.5, by the way. I haven't even finished tuning it yet but I think the 19 is head and shoulders above the 17.5.

Stage6 19mm PHBG (38pj/84mj/W7 1 lean)
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stock airbox, UNI filter, snorkel removed
Stage6 HPC 10mm crank
Stage6 Pro Replica, derestricted
Malossi MHR Overrange (24.3g)
Malossi 107mm Delta Clutch (yellow Malossi springs)
Malossi 107mm MHR Wing Bell
Malossi Yellow Contra Spring
Malossi Torsion Controller
Top Performance Reed Block and CF Reeds
RFY Shock
Stage 6 F1 Mirrors
Stage 6 14/42s
NGK BR9HS
Michelin Boppers
Trail Tech Vapor
LEDGlow Underglow Kit

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:23 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yup, 19mm it is then. I'm worried that the 21mm will be a bit too big for my sport setup. Then I'd have to go changing the intake, reed block, etc. Then I'd decide that I need a race cylinder, and therefore a new crank and pipe. Eventually I'd just end up penniless living on the streets begging for change. Alone and broken, I would drift along the back roads to wherever my spare change worth of gas takes me. Long after all the kids of the owners of ScooterAttack and Scootertuning.ca have had their college educations paid for through my purchases, I would pass away on some forgotten West Coast beach with a bottle of Jack Daniels at my side. Nobody was ever faster than my scoot though, I'd think. Nobody! :D

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:30 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Firehawk989 wrote:
Yup, 19mm it is then. I'm worried that the 21mm will be a bit too big for my sport setup. Then I'd have to go changing the intake, reed block, etc. Then I'd decide that I need a race cylinder, and therefore a new crank and pipe. Eventually I'd just end up penniless living on the streets begging for change. Alone and broken, I would drift along the back roads to wherever my spare change worth of gas takes me. Long after all the kids of the owners of ScooterAttack and Scootertuning.ca have had their college educations paid for through my purchases, I would pass away on some forgotten West Coast beach with a bottle of Jack Daniels at my side. Nobody was ever faster than my scoot though, I'd think. Nobody! :D

Well, since u've put it that way......shouldn't u get the 21mm carb???? :cheers:

Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:53 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Heh, do you work for one of those 2 companies!? :whip:

Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:07 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just support a man's right to sip JD along a shoreline :cheers:

Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next