View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 YAMAHA ZUMA bugeye50, bws 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2008 BWS50
Post YAMAHA ZUMA bugeye50, bws
Hi! I recently purchased a 2008 Bws50(zuma) and have been really happy with using it as a daily driver when the weather permits where I am from. I have done a lot of research on the forums to see how easy it is to get information about it, and I've found a wealth of information here! It made my decision to pick up the zuma easier, as there seems to be a very active and very informative network of people on here. As far as modifications and diy guides, I am always searching and finding the information I require on here. I came across the Easyrider build and I am committing myself to attempt the same or similar build.

I have so far bought:

Stage6 Street exhaust and gasket
Stage6 Streetrace 70 cc AC
Motoforce 17.5 MM carb w/ electric choke
Single throttle cable conversion cable kit
CF reed valves
Stage6 6mm main jet kit 80-108
br8hs spark plugs
new grips (forgot what brand)

My goals for this build is pretty much what the easyrider build was about. Good daily driver that is still fuel efficient (as much as possible anyway...), good acceleration and 70+ kmh top end, and still kinda quiet. I have done the throttle mod on the stock carb, but with the new carb going on, it's not really an issue. I don't really have much experience with cvts and carburetors, but I hope to do well and get the scoot up and running after putting in some work :)

I'll post some pics soon before I start up the build. I am still waiting for all the parts to come in as well. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks, I can get the time to work on this and post my progress.

Pirelli SL26 tires front and back, Single throttle cable conversion, Malossi Sport 70 cc, Motoforce 17.5mm Carburetor (88 main, 38pilot, a8 needle middle notch), malossi reed block, CF reeds, Malossi Yellow Contra spring, 6 16x13 weights (3x 4.3g + 3x 5.0g = 27.9g total roller weight), modified stock airbox - extra uni air vent and snorkel out, Technigas RSii exhaust, Malossi Multivar variator, stock clutch/bell, Malossi yellow Clutch springs, 15/50 upgears, dual headlight mod, c3 mirrors, 12v hidden accessory outlet

Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:23 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: 2008 Bw50 following Easyrider build
julz204 wrote:
Hi! I recently purchased a 2008 Bws50(zuma) and have been really happy with using it as a daily driver when the weather permits where I am from. I have done a lot of research on the forums to see how easy it is to get information about it, and I've found a wealth of information here! It made my decision to pick up the zuma easier, as there seems to be a very active and very informative network of people on here. As far as modifications and diy guides, I am always searching and finding the information I require on here. I came across the Easyrider build and I am committing myself to attempt the same or similar build.

I have so far bought:

Stage6 Street exhaust and gasket
Stage6 Streetrace 70 cc AC
:doh: Motoforce 17.5 MM carb w/ electric choke
Single throttle cable conversion cable kit
CF reed valves
Stage6 6mm main jet kit 80-108
br8hs spark plugs
new grips (forgot what brand)

My goals for this build is pretty much what the easyrider build was about. Good daily driver that is still fuel efficient (as much as possible anyway...), good acceleration and 70+ kmh top end, and still kinda quiet. I have done the throttle mod on the stock carb, but with the new carb going on, it's not really an issue. I don't really have much experience with cvts and carburetors, but I hope to do well and get the scoot up and running after putting in some work :)

I'll post some pics soon before I start up the build. I am still waiting for all the parts to come in as well. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks, I can get the time to work on this and post my progress.

If going to all the work to do a single throttle conversion..... put a better Carburetor on there.

the auto choke won't work as reliably as in the, 50.

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:34 pm
Scooterologist

That's in the works as well. I just wanted to start with the 17.5 carb for now and have the single throttle cable installed and out of the way. That way there isn't much work needed to do to pop in a larger carb in the future. I appreciate the input though, thanks.

Pirelli SL26 tires front and back, Single throttle cable conversion, Malossi Sport 70 cc, Motoforce 17.5mm Carburetor (88 main, 38pilot, a8 needle middle notch), malossi reed block, CF reeds, Malossi Yellow Contra spring, 6 16x13 weights (3x 4.3g + 3x 5.0g = 27.9g total roller weight), modified stock airbox - extra uni air vent and snorkel out, Technigas RSii exhaust, Malossi Multivar variator, stock clutch/bell, Malossi yellow Clutch springs, 15/50 upgears, dual headlight mod, c3 mirrors, 12v hidden accessory outlet

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:25 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Tp 70cc,next r,vforce 3 reed block,s6 variator,stock carb 86 mj,vee rubber 119c tires,med contra,stiff clutch springs
julz204 wrote:
That's in the works as well. I just wanted to start with the 17.5 carb for now and have the single throttle cable installed and out of the way. That way there isn't much work needed to do to pop in a larger carb in the future. I appreciate the input though, thanks.

There's nothing wrong with the 17.5mm carb. But don't waste your money on a motoforce clone, buy the real delorto.

L/C S6 R/T 95, S6 R/T 44/90 crank, S6 95cc Big Bore Pipe,Trenched and Ported Cases, MVT DD19 Iggy, MXS Intake with KX 85 Reeds, Malossi Overrange , Keihin PWK 35mm carb, UNI air filter, Doppler 14/42, Dr.Pulley HIT Clutch ( 8000 rpm engagement ), Stage6 433 R/T clutch bell, Premix 32-1.

2001 Zuma (Pre-Bug)
MXS Race 70cc, 28mm PWK , S6 Big Valve, SR-1 Crank, S6 R1400 Pipe, Malossi Overrange

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:33 am
Scooterologist

**Update**

It's been over a week since I last posted, but I have been busy tinkering away at the build. I've put in the Stage6 Streetrace 70cc 10mm kit in with the green gasket (that's all it came with). I didn't really get a good squish reading with that base gasket, or if I was supposed to be aiming for 1.0-.8mm, I was not even close. Does that mean that I won't have as high compression and I am losing out on what the cylinder is capable of?

I have a motoforce 17.5mm phva clone in as well, and it's pretty good tuned to where it is. 85 main, 35 pilot, needle in middle position. I am still tinkering with the idle screw to get my revs lower at idle. I kept following and reading up on symptoms I was having and it was unfortunately pretty close to the Easyrider threads issues. I thought I could learn from reading and not go through the same issues but, but at least I had some idea on where to look when I was having similar issues.

I had an issue with acceleration. I could start, idle and take off and cruise under 55kmh, and after a little bit of riding and stopping at a sign or light, I would have no acceleration. I'd have to let it sit and cool down then I could accelerate for a few and same thing. I changed the clutch spring from stock to malossi white, and I put in malossi 6g rollers for now. I also put some vent holes in the tranny case to help it with cooling: 3 in the front case, and one long slot along the bottom corner in the rear. After all that, I had an issue with it starting and I thought it was a soft seize. It ended up being a screw from the choke hold down plate fell off and the electric choke became unseated. Seated it and replaced the missing screw and it started up fine. I could accelerate and cruise, stop and go. Pretty Happy that I got that far, and I still have some more tuning to go.

I have the stock exhaust on and the stock airbox with the snorkel out. When I did the plug chop at 2/3 throttle, the plug looked brown and I could see a gray band at the base of the plug when I pulled it last (after tinkering with the main jets and needle position). I am using a br8hs plug now, before I was using a brp8hs, and I was told that was the wrong plug :(

I rode it quite a bit, varying the speed as much as I can, and going for 30min to an hour and letting it sit to completely cool off. Initially I did (I hope) a couple of heat cycles on the stand after I got the streetrace kit in: Start it, let it idle for 10, shut it down and cool off completely.

So that's where I'm at. I will post pics of the build soon, I just have to resize my images as they are too big of a file size. I meant to post as I went, but I was pretty focused on getting it together and finished over the weekend. Everytime I ran into a problem, I researched it and found a solution so, I figured I was on the right track still. I did have a question about the threaded vs solid plug end on the spark plug but some research answered that real quick. I feel a little embarassed about the loose cap bit :haw:

The only thing that I have a concern about is that I get a noticeable vibration at all speeds that wasn't there before. I haven't started her up again today, but I will do just that and see if it's gone or is still there. The vibration isn't harsh, but it is consistent. I'll describe it better after I get a chance to ride it again. Cheers!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:25 am
Scooterologist

My build is pretty much finished. The Streetrace kit is broken in and doing well. I installed a Trail Tech TTO tach to monitor my rpms for fine tuning. I stuck with the phva Motoforce clone and have it currently working well with the following setup at 770ft elevation: 88 main, 38 pilot, a/f screw ~1 1/2 turns out, a2 needle leanest position. Plug chop at WOT was good, no bogging at all ranges. Snorkel is still in, stock airbox, stock exhaust.

All that's left is to tune the cvt a little bit more as I am getting some cruising issues after riding for a few. The symptom I have is that during a long stretch after riding for a while, when I get to a stop, I find I can't accelerate... for a bit. It'll eventually go, and I'll be fine for a bit as long as I don't stop. Also, when this starts happening, when I am cruising at a steady speed (ie. 60kmh), it will randomly reduce speed sharply, then slowly climb back up to where I want to get it back.

I believe this all started back when I had the same symptom, back when I still ran the stock clutch and torsion spring, but lighter rollers. Stock rollers for my bws is 7g (42g total). Stock size for the stock rollers for my 08 is 15x12, I believe. My understanding of cvt tuning from reading/research is that the torsion spring controls the return of the rear sheave when it's not getting applied torque, lowering the gear ratio to allow you to accelerate.

note: not sure if I have the terms right, but low gear = 1st gear, high gear = say 4th, 5th etc.

If the torsion spring is weak/soft, it won't push the rear sheave together and it will stay at a higher gear, and it becomes like pedaling a bike at a high gear from a stop. Too strong/stiff a torsion spring, and it will be harder to get out of low gear, as the vario is trying to overcome the spring tension of the torsion spring, resulting in low top speed. I also noticed when my torsion spring was soft, the cvt case was getting really hot. Probably from the belt slipping and creating a lot of friction and heat :(

Anyways, I hope I can sort this out soon as I really want to just ride it now. I have in the cvt: white malossi clutch springs, white malossi torsion springs, 3 x 5.2g and 3 x 6.0g rollers (33.6g total), oem yamaha belt. I will try a yellow malossi torsion spring and I'll have to see what weight I need for the rollers to compensate.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:24 am
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 99' Fully Stock Zuma 50
Thanks for sharing! Show us some pics!

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Have you ever greased the rear sheaves? The grease can get hard and start to bind. Then the contra if weak will act up. You need to remove the clutch for inspection, read up so you know what you need to R&R safely.

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:39 pm
Scooterologist

corrosion wrote:
Have you ever greased the rear sheaves? The grease can get hard and start to bind. Then the contra if weak will act up. You need to remove the clutch for inspection, read up so you know what you need to R&R safely.

I cleaned up and put on grease on the rear sheave. It doesn't seem to bind when I move the pulley, but I did use wheel bearing grease. It was available to me at the time. I wiped off any excess after putting on the sleeve. I've put on a Malossi yellow contra and a new yamaha cvt belt. It still acts up but not as much. By act up, I mean it still stalls, then the belt seems to grab again to accelerate/maintain speed during cruising speeds. Then when I roll to a stop, it will seem like it is slipping, then it will catch and I can accelerate again. It happens when I've been driving for a while and the cvt case is pretty warm. I did put some vent holes in the cvt case cover but I don't think it's doing much. I guess I can try to put bigger vents to see if increased heat dissipation will help.

Is it possible that the vario face is slipping? It's really smooth, and I was wondering if I could roughen it up with fine grit emery to let it have a rough enough surface to grab the belt without wearing it out prematurely?

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 pm
Scooterologist

I was still having that issue with the random drop in speed when cruising and loss of acceleration when warm. On a whim, I decided to tackle my carburetor and clean it out thoroughly to rule out the carb issue and also to switch out my a2 needle for an a7 needle I recently got. I am still running the motoforce 17.5mm with electric choke.

Once I had access to the carb, I swapped out the needles and left the a7 in the middle clip to start. I also took a look at my reed block to see how my cf reeds were doing... one of the reeds isn't sealing right aaaand the screw stripped as well. I will go and replace it with a new reed block soon, but I tried to make it seal a little better before putting it back. Back to the carb...

I drained the carb of fuel, then took the bowl off and found no grime or anything, but I cleaned it off thoroughly none the less. I took off the float, pin and arm and checked the seat. Good, no blockages, and not binding. Removed the pilot, idle and main jets and cleaned them out. Then I started working on the passages of the carb. I was looking at the pilot jet channel/circuit and noticed that there was some stuff in there that could have been creating a blockage so, i cleaned that out and used an air gun to blast the channel clean. I also reseated the e-choke after cleaning out the chamber. I put it all back together, and it started out pretty good. Fired up fairly quickly, but just to make sure, I did a couple of cold starts to make sure it was good. I am still fine tuning it to get a good idle, but it starts so I am happy about that!

The a7 needle was a good pickup as it seems to be jetting less rich on cruising speeds. The taper on the a2 is pretty thin and I may have been fouling plugs even at the leanest clip position with it. The a7 I found was fairly lean after doing a plug chop on cruising speed (about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle) so I dropped it down to the richest setting. I noticed more pickup and it didn't have the random drop in speed when I was cruising. So, I hope I solved my issue about loss of acceleration when warm. I took it for a long ride with a lot of stretches going regular city street speeds with some wot bursts for good measure. It was a decent stress test, and I had no issues. :)

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:26 am
Scooterologist

It's probably pretty boring to follow along this thread to find no pictures at all whatsoever. :( I unfortunately do not have any pictures during my tinkering phases as i was just trying to sort out the issues first. I will make a better attempt to upload the pictures of the build/tuning as soon as I can and possibly take more pictures as I am taking the scoot apart for maintenance. For now, I hope I was descriptive enough that you can picture what I am talking about easily enough. Thanks for the replies/suggestions! I feel pretty confident in tuning and maintaining my ride now. :)

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:47 am
Scooterologist

Here are some pictures I managed to grab and finally post....

Attachment:
File comment: New piston in with green gasket in place
20140718_124139.jpg
20140718_124139.jpg [ 126.87 KiB | Viewed 6979 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Motoforce 17.5mm carb with single throttle cable installed
20140717_174248.jpg
20140717_174248.jpg [ 150.8 KiB | Viewed 6979 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Streetrace kit with 10mm small end bearing
20140718_102656.jpg
20140718_102656.jpg [ 122.14 KiB | Viewed 6979 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Stock reed block and intake
20140718_110136.jpg
20140718_110136.jpg [ 119.97 KiB | Viewed 6979 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Another view of the piston installed with the arrow pointing towards the exhaust
20140718_124156.jpg
20140718_124156.jpg [ 113.48 KiB | Viewed 6979 times ]
Attachment:
20140718_124502.jpg
20140718_124502.jpg [ 118.42 KiB | Viewed 6979 times ]

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:54 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do you have a Tach? If the belt slips you will see a immediate rise in rpm. With a loss in speed. I also had issue with the white spring. It would not down shift soon enough to keep the C-16 happy. I would have to come to a almost total stop. Then it would work perfectly on the up shift.

I was never happy with the original Variator. Eventually I got tired of fussing with it. The over-range ones with the larger weights work so much better. Even if you only use the front half. The performance is so much better. The only draw back is the loss of the Electric Start.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:01 pm
Scooterologist

I do have a tach, I picked up a tto Trail tech to help tune the carb and cvt. It helped me dial in some issues I was having. I also solved my accel loss and starting issues. The startimg issue was a blockage in one of the starting circuits passages and a the electric choke was a little loose. It let air in during starting, so I was compensating for that by puttin a finger over the snorkel to limit the air intake at start up.

The loss of accel when warm, was actually too lean at the throttle opening I was at on cruise speeds (50-60kmh). I tested out my theory by replacing the needle and dialing in my clip position via plug chop. Once i was lean, the symptom started happening, but only after riding for a a while at the same speed.

I've been riding it through bridges, hills, long straights and short stop and go areas. Good results so far with no slowing or anything! Now I just have to dial in the cvt and I'll be happy :)

Well... at least till I put on a pipe that I bought already. I just want to enjoy it for a bit until I have the patience, and motivation, to go another round of tuning carb and cvt to more airflow... I am looking at getting a new variator, but I rprefer to have the e-start there....

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:23 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

What pipe are you planing to use?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next