View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 YAMAHA ZUMA bugeye50, bws 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2008 BWS50
Post Re: 2008 Bw50 following Easyrider build
Stage6 Street Exhaust. It's mild and not too loud. I think it will be fairly easy to tune to my setup. I've tried it on already and did a plug chop at wot. I found that the main jet I have in works well with both the stock and the Stage6. I just couldn't tune it right with all the other issues I was tackling with the carb and bogging. Now that it's all good, I can probably tune the scoot to the pipe.

Pirelli SL26 tires front and back, Single throttle cable conversion, Malossi Sport 70 cc, Motoforce 17.5mm Carburetor (88 main, 38pilot, a8 needle middle notch), malossi reed block, CF reeds, Malossi Yellow Contra spring, 6 16x13 weights (3x 4.3g + 3x 5.0g = 27.9g total roller weight), modified stock airbox - extra uni air vent and snorkel out, Technigas RSii exhaust, Malossi Multivar variator, stock clutch/bell, Malossi yellow Clutch springs, 15/50 upgears, dual headlight mod, c3 mirrors, 12v hidden accessory outlet

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I used one, on a friends scoot. It had good flow and made good low end torque. I could not get the 2 piece header to stop leaking oil Spooge. He parked it in his breeze way.
And it would make black spots on the concrete. He ended up with a LV SP-3. I did not have a welder then. Are they still made with a 2 piece header?

I have found with some performance exhaust's and a 70 cc kit. It helps to remove the Snorkle. Some run better with, some without. Good to see your all Dialed in. Are you thinking up gears in the future? They compliment the 70 cc kit's. Particularly the Helical Gear set's.

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:15 am
Scooterologist

corrosion wrote:
I used one, on a friends scoot. It had good flow and made good low end torque. I could not get the 2 piece header to stop leaking oil Spooge. He parked it in his breeze way.
And it would make black spots on the concrete. He ended up with a LV SP-3. I did not have a welder then. Are they still made with a 2 piece header?

I have found with some performance exhaust's and a 70 cc kit. It helps to remove the Snorkle. Some run better with, some without. Good to see your all Dialed in. Are you thinking up gears in the future? They compliment the 70 cc kit's. Particularly the Helical Gear set's.

Oooh, I like low end torque! I have it tuned to be fairly quick off the line so I can pass traffic moderately, and not be a nuisance driver on the road. It is a 2 piece pipe still and there is still the issue of the air scoop sitting on top of the pipe. I haven't had it on long enough to notice any oil leaking out but when I pulled the stocker exhaust from time to time, I didn't notice any oil puddling in there. I had the snorkle out previously and it did help tremendously with more pep, but I found it hard to tune as I was still figuring out the carb at the time. I may try it again, when I put on the pipe and try to see what jetting I need to do to have it run best. When I have more patience anyway.. I'm just trying to enjoy the fruits of my labor atm, until I feel the itch to tune it up again :)

There may be upgears in my future, but I am not quite sure about what upgears and brands I should get. I'm doing some heavy reading on different sets of gears, and I am not looking forward to straight cut gears (read they were noisier). I like the quiet stock sound of my ride too, so that's holding me back on putting on my pipe. I like being the sleeper on the road... well as far as being a sleeper scooter goes :q:

Pirelli SL26 tires front and back, Single throttle cable conversion, Malossi Sport 70 cc, Motoforce 17.5mm Carburetor (88 main, 38pilot, a8 needle middle notch), malossi reed block, CF reeds, Malossi Yellow Contra spring, 6 16x13 weights (3x 4.3g + 3x 5.0g = 27.9g total roller weight), modified stock airbox - extra uni air vent and snorkel out, Technigas RSii exhaust, Malossi Multivar variator, stock clutch/bell, Malossi yellow Clutch springs, 15/50 upgears, dual headlight mod, c3 mirrors, 12v hidden accessory outlet

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:32 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have my Athena helical gears in for 3 yrs now. There not a quiet as the orignal's. But not a nuisance like the Malossi one's in my Dergi GP-1. That sounds like it has a super charger. HA.
The majority of most of my riding is done on the needle. If it is the wrong one, or out of range it makes for poor drive-ability. You need access to a Press or you can use a Big azz Vise. Using the freeze and heat method. You loose a little bit of take off power with Gears. But with a Torque setup it is negligible.

My buddy with the leaking pipe ride's his scoot 10 minutes in city traffic, lucky to hit 20 mph. And he insists on using Yamalube. So he was pretty much asking for trouble.

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:49 pm
Scooterologist

Good to know. I do have access to a bearing press so if and when i go the upgear route, I can do so without too much issues. I'm still trying to see what needle would work best in my climate. It's lots of cool mornings around 9-12 degrees to hotter afternoons around 25-30 degrees. Big swings make it really hard to determine what setting I need to keep my jetting at. Personally I run just rich enough in the morning that by the time it's hot out, I'm still on the verge of running lean but not quite. I'm set on a7 needle at the leanest clip, 88main, 38 pilot, not sure about the slide cutaway or atomizer, a/f screw 1 3/8 out. Been working for me so far. I see that a lot of people recommend w7 or w9 needles, but funny story about my needle... I thought I was getting a w7 but I mistakenly asked for an a7. I rolled with it and ended up with pretty good results!

I think I'll have to try the original a2 needle I have when I do try to tune the pipe to my setup. It's definitely a rich needle with a very thin taper, so with the snorkel out and needle at tbd position, I should be fairly close to my jetting for the rides that I do. I don't do too many wot runs, or slow and lazy speeds, so needle jetting is my main focus for sure. I hope I don't run into that oil leak issue but if I do, I'll have to figure out some way to make it stop without welding it.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:19 pm
Scooterologist

I did some more research and looking up parts for phva type carbs. I found that it only takes "a" type needles and I don't think "w" series needles would work. W needles are for the phbg carbs? So I guess my mistake was pure luck that I got the right needle type. PHVA needles come in a2/a3/a4/a5/a7/a12/a13/a20 from what I can find online. Haven't checked Dellorto's site but I was going with what I can order locally from a catalog.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:42 am
Scooterologist

Been a while since I've finished with my build and I thought I would update this thread.

So, I've since replaced my Stage 6 Streetrace cylinder with a Malossi 70cc kit. Still a twin ring, air cooled kit. I've done the heat cycles and I've put on about 2000kms on it since swapping it out. I noticed really good acceleration off the line and good throttle response with the Malossi kit so I am pretty pumped about making this swap. I did notice that I cruise a little high and I'm going ~60ish km/h @ 7800-8000RPMs, and when I do want to get up to 75kmh+, I'm getting close to the 10k rpm on a stock crank...

So I decided it was time to change the final drive and put in some 15/50 helicals. It was easy enough with a shop press. Ended up doing it in steps throughout the day. Took the trans cover off, drained the gear oil, take out the cover and gears, fun stuff. Pressed out the secondary and put on the new helical 50. One thing I will say is before you press the big gear off the secondary, note how much clearance there is between the secondary gear and press it to the same or very close amount! I read on some posts here about that so I just made sure everything lined up the way it was before. Pictures help too!

I had to press the primary shaft with bearing off the case as an assembly. I was worried about wrecking the bearing, pressing the shaft out of it, but It wasn't really pressed in tight so it seemed to go ok. Got home, put it all together and put in the gear oil - just 80w90 stuff I had. I'll probably put in something else later on. I didn't change the weights on the vario, but I did put on a new Yamaha oem belt. Mine was 2 years old and you can see the difference between new and old belt thicknesses. Back to the vario, I'm running a Malossi vario, not overrange yet, but when I measured my weights last, they were 5.0 g each. I'm expecting to lose a little bit in bottom end, and expecting more top end and that's what it was.

I ended up doing the dual headlight mod finally by following one of the guides here, put on some c3 mirrors for better visibility, and that's it. All caught up.

Only issue I have now is that at higher sustained speeds, I notice that I seem to be starving fuel as it hesitates and then almost stalls before picking back up. Not as bad as before with the upgears, so I'm suspecting the carb bowl isn't getting fuel when I'm cruising at high speeds. From what I've read so far, it seems that maybe I'm not getting enough vacuum to the petcock, and it doesn't fill the carb bowl at a greater rate of fuel being used up. I'm looking at getting a manual petcock, and this ya-2gu-24500-02-00-1 part number apparently will fit. Hoping someone can chime in and confirm.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:06 pm
Scooterologist

Turns out the hesitation at 3/4 throttle plus was caused by the carb bowl being starved and causing my issue. Adjusting the float helped tremendously and now everything is running well.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:40 am
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 05 Zuma, 08 rear pulley/clutch, Multivar, 7 gr. sliders, Mal. front half pulley, malossi torsion controller, mini tach
Welcome back, glad you were able to solve the problem. I myself am in the the process of upgrading my scoot but like yourself, in the beginning, I have been soaking up the info from these scoot forums. Have a pile of new parts (tpr bl trophy 70, polini pipe) that are ready to go except... a carb. If you were to buy a carb again, with your personal experience, would you buy the same one. From what I'v gathered, some say a smaller (17.5mm) carb=easier tune, better mpg, less potential power, runs lil hotter. Bigger carb (21mm) = more potential power, future proof, harder to tune, runs cooler, less mpg. I'm on the fence on this one so your input would be appreciated.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:26 pm
Scooterologist

Man, I have not checked in for the longest time it seems. Riding season is approaching quickly and I noticed this post late. I hope your build went well Supasupafly. Not sure what carb you decided to go with but I'm sure by now you settled on something and made your own build. I hope my trials and experiences helped you out, but everyone that does their own work runs into some kind of issue I'm sure.

My 2 cents on carbs, I prefer having a 17.5mm carb just because as soon as you kit your ride by increasing the displacement, you will need that minimum 17.5mm carb to get the best mpg and decent performance out of your setup. My build goal was to be a good daily commuter that was reliable and able to have more pep than the stock setup. I've learned quite a bit tinkering with my bws50 and the forums helped guide me to make decisions that follow my build.

I'm still fine tuning the setup since putting on a new cylinder and upgears. I think it's more of a transmission tuning issue now that I have the air/fuel set decently. I'll update the signature if there are any changes that I do.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:12 am
Scooterologist

After doing some spring maintenance and getting the scooter prepped to ride, I noticed some issues when I started it up.

Firstly, I have to kick start my scoot to get it going, but I chalk it up to a weak battery so I will charge it up and see what happens from there.

Second. Once I got it going, I noticed a rattling sound in the transmission, and it got LOUD! I took the case off and found my front fan pulley where the star washer sits is hammered out and looks like it's been loose. The crank splines were flattened, and the star washer ends were broken :O Stool.

So, I filed the crank splines so that the flatness issue is fixed, and I took a look at my variator and pieces to see if maybe I left something out. It looks like everything is in order. I have some thoughts on how this would've happened, but I need to try out some things first. I do have a Malossi Multi Var. The multi var fan - sliding piece that sits on the crank spline, sits deep in the variator.

I installed it last year without putting a washer behind it thinking that you don't need it. Thinking about it though, the variator sliding fan sits deep in the variator, which means the front half of the variator would essentially be contacting the starter gear. There would be some space where the rollers sit and the actual contact of the variator roller ramp until the cranks starts spinning and centrifugal force takes over. The space would have enough play to cause that rattle at low cranking speed and low idle, and I imagine that would explain it.

This is all speculation at this point, so I'll give it a try and see how it goes. If I'm wrong, then back to drawing board, but if I'm right... sweet. I'll take some pictures later and upload them when I can, so in the future, maybe someone with a similar issue can utilize this, or not make the same mistake that I did.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:34 am
Scooterologist

Took apart the front half of the cvt. Found the fan pulley and variator were good, no issues. Took out the starter clutch, and that's where the issue was. The starter clutch is supposed to spin freely in one direction and hold the other way. Mine was binding..

After I took the starter clutch gear apart, I found that belt debris had packed in the recesses where the dowels sit to engage the starter clutch. After some cleaning and freeing up the spring mechanisms in it, I spun it by hand and it was good! Just lubed up the roller bearing that rides on the starter clutch gear, reassemble and no more noise.

It's worth noting too that I did put a spacer in front of the starter clutch gear to give the variator more clearance instead of bottoming out. That helped too and gained a bit more top speed. Not having that starter clutch gear bind, also helped smooth out my acceleration and deceleration. Before, it would slightly surge and drop speed if I left off the throttle somewhat. I just chalked it up to the stiff contra.

I will post pictures of the starter clutch gear and the variator issue I had in a future post. Just thought I'd enter this now before I forget. This is also a good way for me to keep record of what I've done to my scoot so far. Can't wait to ride again!

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:50 am
Newb
Newb

Any update on this build?

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:37 am
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 05 Zuma, 08 rear pulley/clutch, Multivar, 7 gr. sliders, Mal. front half pulley, malossi torsion controller, mini tach
It's been a long time, thanks for updating us with your experiences. I am embarassed to admit that I have not finished my build. Yes I got a carb, as a matter of fact, 3 of them, 17.5, 19 and 21 dells. It's ridiculous, I also have 3 cylinder kits and a pile of new parts collecting dust, plus a spare motor. I have not given up hope yet, work space was my problem but that has changed now. I hope your scoot is running strong, good luck.

Sun May 06, 2018 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2