View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:45 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Z125 Build for the Mrs. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: JDM Head Light conversion with HID
Post Z125 Build for the Mrs.
Project z125 for the wife.

So the last week we lost some fairly good deals on craigslist, and dealt with a jerk all the way out in San Dimas, CA. After some searching we ran into a Zuma for 1600.00 it was really beat up and not even worth it for that cost. A few more days passed and that seller dropped it down to 1400.00 bucks, mehh… not to bad. I quickly called the guy up and told him 1300 cash money and it was ours.

So now the build has begun!

Current walk around of its condition

Things needed to be replaced or restored. Side left panel is cracked, and the front colored plastic is busted. The seat latch is broke and torn.

How-To: Tweaker Blinkers or Led Conversion Signals -- viewtopic.php?f=57&t=20785
How-To: Painting your plastic panels -- viewtopic.php?f=57&t=20367
Enviromoto Downhill Bar Install / Review -- viewtopic.php?f=54&t=20737

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:29 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Re: Z125 Build for the Mrs.
Currently waiting on new rear shocks to lower the bike for her. I will most likely be cutting 8 coils from the front shocks, so she can be flat footed as best as possible. Last night i worked on the rear panels. One panel is fine but has a broken tab. The left side was cracked. The method of repair is ABS BLACK GLUE, and Fiber tape for drywalling.

I will also show you guys how fabricated a new latch for the seat. Had to brain storm with ZumMike about what to use. He suggested a HF screw driver. HEHEHE it worked. Also used map gas so I could get the correct bends.

Seat covered up with a old wet shirt so I don’t lit things on fire

Couple of tacs and then final welding with the mig

Latch works!

Seat is now being held down with the latch instead of the bunngie cord. =P

How-To: Tweaker Blinkers or Led Conversion Signals -- viewtopic.php?f=57&t=20785

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:38 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Okay now on to fixing the rear cracked panel and stripping off the old shotty paint job.

I used a die-grinder to open the cracks up. Then I used the fiber tape as a backing and applied abs glue and let it sit for about 15 minutes before filling in the panel with ABS Glue.

Final block sanding and high build primer will be used for the final body work on the cracked panel.

The right side was pretty straight forward strip with 220, follow up with 400gritt, degrease and primer.

More work will be done hopefully tonight… Stay tuned!

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:44 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Props to you and Zumike on the screwdriver idea!

I'll be interested to see how this restoration ends up!

Stage6 19mm PHBG (38pj/84mj/W7 1 lean)
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stock airbox, UNI filter, snorkel removed
Stage6 HPC 10mm crank
Stage6 Pro Replica, derestricted
Malossi MHR Overrange (24.3g)
Malossi 107mm Delta Clutch (yellow Malossi springs)
Malossi 107mm MHR Wing Bell
Malossi Yellow Contra Spring
Malossi Torsion Controller
Top Performance Reed Block and CF Reeds
RFY Shock
Stage 6 F1 Mirrors
Stage 6 14/42s
NGK BR9HS
Michelin Boppers
Trail Tech Vapor
LEDGlow Underglow Kit

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:54 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
I did say use rod first, but I know everyone doesnt keep rod handy so next cheapest thing was using the free screwdrivers you get at harbor freight

I always get those, and free tape measures can come in handy one day

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: Zuma 125
Good Job! I'll be following this thread.. :)

Blue with TST Variator with 10/12 rollers, Koso clutch and race bell, Daytona belt, 13/39 up gears; Nikasil BBK with Forged piston and race cam; Simota air filter; HoBao Billet 3D multi level super heat sinks, Dual Headlight mod with LED 6k bulbs, Phongeer Quiet exhaust, Lowered Forks, Cut down Seat, Lowered Rear Shocks.
Matte Black with TST Variator with 10/12 rollers, Koso clutch and race bell, Daytona belt, 13/39 up gears; Nikasil BBK with Forged piston and Koso Roller race cam; 3.5mm Stroker Crank, High flow HER Race Head, RC Cold air intake, HoBao Billet 3D multi level super heat sinks, External oil blow-by catch can, Koso Oil cooler, Dual Headlight mod with 6k LED bulbs, Koso High torque starter, 30mm Koso TB and Intake, 10 hole 150cc SRP Injector, High output coil, Phongeer Medium Flow through exhaust, Innovate LC-2 AFR with DB Meter, Koso Mini-Temp Gauge, JBPro with custom map based on TB Map 2.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:15 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

So some updates. Finally got around to flushing out the cracked panel and priming. Also lowered the front forks by removing 8 of the coils. Aftermarket rear shocks should be coming in today when i get home.

Left panel final coat of the ABS glue. This should fill in all the imperfections. This is used as filler. You can use a plastic bondo type filler over the primer, and not on the actual plastic. If you apply body filler directly to the panel it will not make a solid bond.

Image[/URL

[URL=http://s65.photobucket.com/user/dem0nk1d/media/z125%20noja%20build/IMG_20150908_071233_zpsbaeetqxe.jpg.html]Image

Left panel is 99% done as i said...

Next thing i did was heated up the brake lever and bend it back into place for the time being.

All fixed lays down nice and flat like it should. I use mapp gas if you were wondering.

Now i thought about restoring the front panel, but it is going to be too much work invested into it. I will order a new front shield and match it to the new color.

more to come...

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:52 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Time to get low down with it!

Front shocks are simple, unbolt lock them in a vise. Press down on the center cap, and remove the circle clip. Also to remove from triple tree there are circle clips locking them on the top of the shocks, so they don't slide out.

Remove the springs. Tightly wound coils are bottom of springs. I removed 8 coils.

And that's it reassemble and don't forget to put the locking circle clips inside the shock tube, and one right above the triple tree.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:57 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
next time grind out that ring that keeps the shocks from going up too far in the triple tree
and shove the shocks up higher

then you get up to 2 inches lower and the same travel as you dont have to cut any springs inside the shocks to keep that smooth ride

you will have to cut away some plastics above the shocks but thats not a big deal

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Silver Member
Silver Member

ZUMIKE wrote:
next time grind out that ring that keeps the shocks from going up too far in the triple tree
and shove the shocks up higher

then you get up to 2 inches lower and the same travel as you dont have to cut any springs inside the shocks to keep that smooth ride

you will have to cut away some plastics above the shocks but thats not a big deal

8 coils cut and she can touch the ground with the ball of her foot. there is still some suspension. so far so good. the bike should be pretty much dialed in on the looks today when i get home. will post last nights photos in a few.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:09 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

So last night put some more work into the wife's Zuma.

Stock whale tale will need to be trimmed slightly to clear the shock reservoirs.

My tool of choice for plastics. This is a vibrating saw, works wonders!

Trimmed up the whale tale

I use a file and then go back with 600 grit on a block

That's all folks for last nights work in the garage at 90F

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:24 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Little update from the weekend.

Friday night i painted the new front panel, and right side panel. Sat i worked on changing the handlebars out, preping the last of the body work on the left side panel, and working on relocating the front turn signals with lowered and shortened bars.

New front panel directly from Yamaha. Notice it comes with the plastic in the center to hold everything square. Makes a perfect location for hanging the panel for paint.

New sexy seat.

New front headlight plastics

Front Panel Painted

Right panel ready for paint

Left panel still prepping for body filler. You can only use body filler on ABS plastics if it's done directly on the top coat of primer.

I then use a high build primer to act as a secondary filler and block sand everything

Frame will need to be painted as previous owner painted over the factory powder coating.

New headlight plastics

And now all put together

Oh handlebars i found at the bike shop

to be continued....

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Little more updates blinkers relocated and stock brackets trimmed and cut to fit the short handlebars, and the "Choso" China Koso Knock Off came in.

Oh yes and she said she loves the bike! (WOOT)

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:32 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 09 zuma 125, mods; mirrors, K&N air filter, Renthal grips (soft)...
nice restoration that things looks brand new now.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:33 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

jcrumb wrote:
nice restoration that things looks brand new now.

'
thanks man, i just put in some load resistors to fix the rear led taillight. other than that i have a few more ideas i want to get done, but they can wait. little by little. I rebuilt the bike over a weeks time after my day job. =P

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:26 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next