View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 08 Zuma having some issues 
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 08 Yamaha Zuma (Blue) - Dual Head Light Mod - Brake Light Mod - Throttle Mod
Post 08 Zuma having some issues
Havent started my Zuma for about a year or so, so it took me a few hundred kicks and a failed attemp to jump start it off my car battery but it eventually started. I decided only after my leg got tired of trying to kick start the scooter that I would attempt jump starting it off my car battery. The battery in the scooter has been dead for some time now, just never took the time to get a new one. During this prosses I heard a pop and realized my tail lights were no longer lighting up. Im not faliliar with the electrical system but thought there may have been a blown fuse but couldnt find one. Tried youtube, the manual and this forum and im still stumped. So no tail lights.

Before it sat for a year it was doing over 40 (had it gps but forgot) and everything worked fine. After getting it started and riding it for a bit, I noticed a drag on take off and I couldnt get it to go over 35. Checked the belt and looked fine (which doent always mean it is), noticed the variator bolt was loose (probably from all the kicking). So decided to remove everything for a closer look. I noticed the roller weights had flat spots so they were ordered. Removed the air box and checked the filter (at least what was left of it), ordered a new one along with the air box seal which was missing. Had to get a new rear tire and didnt remember there being a exhaust gasket so that was ordered. There is also some rust on the inner secondary but wasnt ordered because I dont have the tool to remove the clutch and im not really sure on what to do once I have the cluch off.

During the repair there was a bunch of rubber build up in the case so cleaned all that up. Removed the part behind the variator and there were three rollers that were jammed up by more rubber, cleaned them up and found three pins with springs holding the rollers in place. After getting everything cleaned up, and put back together (new roller weight, air filter and seal) I took it for a ride. Little to no drag on take off but it still wont go over 35.

Today I am going to install the new exhaust gasket, clean out the carb and do the sharpie test on the belt. Any ideas as to why my tail lights aren't working or why my scooter won't go over 35 are greatly appreciated. I also watched a few videos on how to clean out the carb, seems self-explanatory on taking it apart but not much detail on putting it back together. Do you just screw everything back down tight besides the idle screw and oil screw? Again thanks in advance.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos 2004 Zuma
Post Re: 08 Zuma having some issues
here is a good video on the whole cvt how it works an how to service
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EjW-iSP-Q8
This guy makes verygood repair video and he show you how to work with the clutch
Those gummed rollers would definetly cause you to not open the variator all the way and get to top speed.
Did a mouse eat the wires on your lights i had some nest in my zuma .

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe derestricted stock variator stock carb 72 mikuni main one clip rich
45 mph still breaking in Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r polini green springs stock clutch 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders Stock Carb 82 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:02 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos 2004 Zuma
Post Re: 08 Zuma having some issues
here is the link to the service manuals it is undder your user control panel
http://www.zumaforums.net/downloads.html

Ok as far as carb it is put it back together reverse order just remember to bleed the oil pump when done and snug fit jets as far as idle and mixture take note of how many turns out they are from tight and set them back to that .
Take good notes go slow and take pictures to refer back too .

As far as wiring just the tail light or the blinkers also does the horn work .
There is a fuse wired to the the top of the battery amongst the red and black wires you could check.
Swap a bulb to make sure it getting power do you have a multi meter to check if you have a complete circuit .

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe derestricted stock variator stock carb 72 mikuni main one clip rich
45 mph still breaking in Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r polini green springs stock clutch 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders Stock Carb 82 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]