View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Project Dirty Verty. 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Project Dirty Verty.
so i picked up this 89 zuma this past july. paid a bill for it, was pretty rough body wise and did not run but it was complete.
Attachment:
photo-22.jpg
photo-22.jpg [ 220.89 KiB | Viewed 6258 times ]

initially i wanted to convert it to horizontal with disk brakes front and rear with a spare motor i had laying around,
Attachment:
photo-20.jpg
photo-20.jpg [ 153.3 KiB | Viewed 6262 times ]

but once i got it home, plans changed. i have a street scoot, and a project stroker monster sleeper scoot, I had seen some sick Dunlops for sale on Totalruckus and that was when i knew there was only one thing to do to this lil guy.......

DIRT SKOOT

For my birfday my girl(man im lucky) bought me a stage6 sport pro cylinder kit for the vert. i then ordered the polini evo reedvalve and manifold. mated that to my old malossi 17.5 dellorto with a uni. Scooped up an Athena Pipe from Ebay. now that i had all the parts i wanted to get started, i pulled the motor and rear wheel. (really wish i had flicked all this at the time). when i pulled the cylinder i found that the case was full of water. since i have too many projects, and this was the FUN FUN FUN project i didnt bother with swapping the crank. just sprayed the stool out of the case with WD-40 then 2stroke oil made sure everything was nice and smooth and slapped on the new cylinder and piston. then the manifold, then the carb, then the pipe. now to see if she would fire. NOPE realized the tank fuel rooster was not working well with the vac. so i pulled it off. all gummed up. tried again. started right up. idled great. that was day one.

next morning i went to installling the tires. man what a PITA that was. after finally getting the old worn out rear tire off, i could not get the knobby on. took a couple hours and lots of beer before i finally got it on with two irons. now. of course. it would not seat the bead. tried all kinds of ways of holding the wheel to the rim. blowing with my whack compressor didnt seem to have what it takes. so . plan b. pay for it. but it was sunday. and no one on sunday is open. went to pep boys, 3 local tire joints, and finally across town to this atv place that was open. NO ONE could seat this bead. i was getting really frustrated cuz i wanted to ride my scoot.

sad my brother and i headed home, stopped for gas and asked a random old dude for advice. Voila. he said in my day we just used lighter fluid. so we went home, poured lighter fluid around both beads and lit it. only one side set. genius. kept trying , NADA . so we used hair spray(way volatile) and BOOM both sides set and i had a smile on my face. here is with the wheel on.
Attachment:
photo-18.jpg
photo-18.jpg [ 144.54 KiB | Viewed 6260 times ]

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:43 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Post Re: Project Dirty Verty.
i have used starting fluid tons of times to set very stuborn beads
its the very best way to set a bead on a skid steer

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:53 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Now that she is running i had lots of setting up to do. when i brought the dirty beast back home from a long frustrating weekend, i sorted though my trans parts and loaded a malossi multivar, prodigy torque driver(set on high torque not speed) malossi kevlar belt, polini 2G clutch, set some 5 gram rollers so i can get it rolling started tuning the carb. got the main spot on and throttle is nice, but i still need some work on the needle. so i ordered these sweet FMF bars to go with the dope tnt stem i picked up from Greenmachine here
Attachment:
photo-21.jpg
photo-21.jpg [ 124.74 KiB | Viewed 6257 times ]

did i mention she had slightly bent forks. so i swapped in some bugeye forks, rigged the front wheel to work till i get the new front tire mounted on the new bugeye wheel with disk(waiting on new rotor, mine was super shot) put it all together and went for her maiden dirt journey.
Attachment:
photo-16.jpg
photo-16.jpg [ 212.49 KiB | Viewed 6259 times ]

oh i ordered a set of black plastics from spmoto so in the meantime i sprayed some of the red panels semi gloss to contrast on the Dirty when the new plastics come in. can kind of see this here.
Attachment:
photo-17.jpg
photo-17.jpg [ 191.54 KiB | Viewed 6262 times ]

I plan on keeping the underbelly white along with the wheels(ill paint the bugeyes wheels when i put them on) also need to find a seat. see the original fuel tank was trashed. so i found a replacement on ebay. 98 tanks from the disk front prebugs use a larger tank which in turn uses a different seat. i trimmed out the plastic on the seat to fit for now, but i am still looking for a 98ish seat and 98ish front triple.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:00 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Plastics came in last week, so after changing the color of all the red plastics, and rubberizing the entire floorboard i put all the panels on, along with new malossi rear shoes (ebay), and malossi CDI (the Head) had to wire that up special since the vert uses different style cdi. anyway, no rides on it yet after the cdi its been raining constantly. AAARRRRGGGGGHHH. on the plus side, Mud. haha most recent pics, taken today should be clearing up so hopefully this weekend i can play.
Attachment:
photo-24.jpg
photo-24.jpg [ 136.37 KiB | Viewed 6259 times ]

Attachment:
photo-25.jpg
photo-25.jpg [ 154.61 KiB | Viewed 6258 times ]

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:14 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Awesome project! Two thumbs up.

YELLOW 2008 BWs 50 - Zumaforums Member #2057
dual headlight mod, C3 Mirrors, TinyTach, JDM Tail light, Low Canadian OEM windshield
Top Performances Trophy 70 cc, MotoForce 17.5 mm PHVA clone 90 main jet (still tuning) with Stage6 Choke lever next to key
Malossi Variator 6 x 5.5g rollers (still tuning) Malossi Delta Clutch Red springs, (still tuning) Malossi Yellow contra spring (still tuning)
YES Muffler(Canadian, eh)
Stage6 43/13 Primary gears. 10.94 final drive ratio
COMING: STR8 oversized fan, Motoforce Evolution crank

70 cc of scootin' pleasure

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

nice! i want to get some of those tires next time i need to change tires. i would love to find somewhere to ride it

LV SP3
Malossi 70cc cast iron kit
Malossi front brake pads and rear shoes
Malossi variator
Malossi delta clutch

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:21 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sweet. Another iteration in the name of freak-cool.

Too bad zumas aren't as popular to extensively mod as ruckuses... or is it rucki?

'08 Zuma
GY6 150cc

'04 Zuma
Burgman 400 install

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:24 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

you kidding. extensively mod. you can extensively mod the motors(minarelli and gy6) rucks are one of my fav scoots, but, everyone does the same things to them, funniest thing is they spend like 3 times as much money at those builds and for what. a scoot that cant turn well, and unless you spend tons or fabricate tons, will still be slow. to each his/her own. im sure if i had one it would be slammed stretched and 2stroked(dio) as well. hahaha

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:37 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Tampa Ryder33 wrote:
nice! i want to get some of those tires next time i need to change tires. i would love to find somewhere to ride it

just pick up a second wheel set and you can swap out anytime you want, real dual purpose. mine is slowly coming along but its def purpose built for fun in the dirt. I used to live in the city, but recently moved outside the city. 24 miles from work. Taking my dragster to work is a hassle at times, but having this thing out here is gonna be ill. can literally go anywhere, eventually i get it jumpable(within reason) and im sure to have to hose it down each time i take it out.

help me find a seat, front triple, and rear bugeye wheel thats really all i need, really to finish oh and a front rotor so i can utilize the front brake.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:42 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

found one more pic had to glue the front nose to the oem fender panel, TNT panels fit perfect everywhere but there, the nose pops out.
Attachment:
photo-26.jpg
photo-26.jpg [ 163.27 KiB | Viewed 6267 times ]

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:41 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Would love to see a video of you tearing up some dirt!

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:27 pm
Scooter Addict

looking freakin sweed dude thats what I call a tyre whered you get that?? those bars look sweet to you cant go wrong with them,, not made for my aprilia tho that sucks

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:46 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Snugg wrote:
Would love to see a video of you tearing up some dirt!

eventually i will that is for sure. ive spent the last two weekends inbetween rain and being on call at work getting the Evo on my Drag set up. let me tell you, i wish i had that C21 you got from hya. oh well. the SP pipe seems to be holding its own, its reving well over 13500, but Green the tach i got from you with the stem, keeps cutting out, ive tried hardwiring to my pvl, it gets no signal, i wrap the wire i get signal, but off the rectifier it would cut out right at 12k every time, full power out. so i ran the power directly to the battery for 12v. now it cuts out at random rpms between 13 and 13.5 so im having a hard time setting the overrange. been forced to tune by feel, which is hard cuz this is my first high end tune. Snugg, with your MHR im sure you understand, setting the clutch to bite at 10k is nuts. and thats another story all together. Rode it to work, fine, but we had 3rd coast scooter rally numbero 5 last weekend and i found that cruising with traffic on city streets is hard. i still need to get the needle dialed in. tried 4 PHbG needles with the 19 then last sat i switched to PVHB 22 dell and its much better. so this weekend ill try and get some real road time in. then ill get back to Dirty. TOO much mud right now. been raining ALOT. have to make cool splash guards and sheit for mud funn. lol

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:00 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

well here are some new pics..... taken this weekend, finally got the front end sorted, now im debating if i should even bother transferring the rear tire to the new bugeye rim or just keep on enjoying this beast.
Attachment:
dirtyverty1.jpg
dirtyverty1.jpg [ 158.85 KiB | Viewed 6268 times ]

Attachment:
dirtyverty3.jpg
dirtyverty3.jpg [ 186.91 KiB | Viewed 6272 times ]

Attachment:
dirtyverty4.jpg
dirtyverty4.jpg [ 124.8 KiB | Viewed 6270 times ]

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

go figure, everyone wants to have a sick fast street zuma, and i go and flip this female dog to the dirt........

Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next