View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Key broke in ignition :( 
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: '04 Yamaha Zuma -- No REAL mods yet....but dual headlight and triple brake light kit about to be ordered.
Post Key broke in ignition :(
So I just recently picked up a Vino 125 from my buddy. The key has been kinda hard to turn in the ignition and just this evening it snapped off inside it. Anyone know the easiest/cheapest way to fix it? Is it possible to disassemble the front panel and access the lock to push the key out? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 pm
Scoot Master

Post Re: Key broke in ignition :(
wow idk you could try taking the tumbler out and bringing it to a locksmith thats a thick key that sucks :doh:

2008 black zuma, Top Trophy 70cc kit, dual headlight mod, triple taillight mod, Leo Vince exhaust/springs and weights, Nology hotwire, BP8HS plug, 19mm Dellorto carb, Athena variator (Rip), polini clutch, saddlemen side bags/trunk, low windshield, blue neon "angry eyes with LEDs" Athena upgears

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:54 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
well by the time you take the body panels off and get the assembly out and taken to a lock smith to see if he can do anything with it you are proably better off just replacing it is ony 30 or 50 dollars (they list 2 diffrent parts on cheap cycle a steering lock and a key set)

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:35 am
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: '04 Yamaha Zuma -- No REAL mods yet....but dual headlight and triple brake light kit about to be ordered.
So I called the dealership and they quoted me $220 installed to replace the lock and key....that just wasn't an option.

I opened up the front panel...removed the ignition and found that the electrical part that attaches to the bottom can just be turned with a screw driver...which got me mobile and able to get it back home. Then I was able to disassemble the ignition and get the key out. Now I just need to get a new key. Can most locksmiths cut one for me? Any idea on the cost?

I got a half tank of scootin left till I run outta gas since it is a locking gas cap :(

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:31 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2008 Zuma 50 w/ 150cc GY6
Why not just take the registration and your ID down to the dealership and have them cut you a new key from the factory code? That's part of the services they have. One caveat, you are the registered owner?

'08 Zuma
GY6 150cc

'04 Zuma
Burgman 400 install

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:45 pm
Scoot Master

yeah man i lost the keys to an old scooter i had and the locksmith said he might be able to make a key for it then i figured out you can just get one made from the dealer if u have the vin

2008 black zuma, Top Trophy 70cc kit, dual headlight mod, triple taillight mod, Leo Vince exhaust/springs and weights, Nology hotwire, BP8HS plug, 19mm Dellorto carb, Athena variator (Rip), polini clutch, saddlemen side bags/trunk, low windshield, blue neon "angry eyes with LEDs" Athena upgears

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:05 am
Newb
Newb

Well I am not the registered owner yet as I just got it from my buddy and only paid him half of it so far. I have a bill of sale and the registration so that might work. If all else fails I can have my buddy go with me.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:24 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2008 Zuma 50 w/ 150cc GY6
Then take him with you, along with the registration, and head to the dealership for a new key. Shouldn't be more than $15 for the whole shebang.

'08 Zuma
GY6 150cc

'04 Zuma
Burgman 400 install

Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]