View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Any action here? 
Scooterologist

Post Any action here?
I know this is ZUMAforums, but the Vino 125 section seems dead. Anyone around?

I just picked up a mint 2006 (3K miles) on a whim to complement my Zuma. The Vino will be for cruising; the Zuma is just for FUN. :q:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 96 Jog 05 Vino 08 C3 04 Super 9 00 SR
Post Re: Any action here?
We got one of these for my gf, and I cant leave stuff alone, so soon I will be adding to the action around here.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:45 am
Scooterologist

Good to hear. I have the same affliction. It took me all of one week before I ordered an MRP pipe, Polini Vari, upgraded clutch and bell, and the requisite JDM signals and tail light.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:11 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I take it you havent put them on yet?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:45 pm
Scooterologist

Haven't even been delivered yet. Most of the parts should be in next week sometime, then it's just a matter of when the twins give me a chance to install. Could actually be Fall or later... :mad:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:57 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Probly might as well be. From what I have read all those pasrt arent going to gain you anything. Pipe will probly sound better, but little gain in performance.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:39 pm
Scooterologist

Actually, I've done a bit of research on this, and the best mod you can do to improve acceleration is lighter weights (12g rollers or 10.5g sliders). The second best mod is to replace the vari. The Polini kit is the more aggressive option and comes with lighter rollers, so that kills two birds with one stone.

As far as top end power/speed, there doesn't seem to be much of anything that makes a big difference. The pipe (with proper jetting and intake modification) should increase hp by about 10%, which should make up for any loss due to the lighter rollers. Worse case, as you said, the pipe will at least look and sound better, and I can ditch all the emissions garbage.

I had considered a 150 kit, but I didn't want to make it too big of a project right now; I'm looking forward to tearing down the zuma this winter. I may add a BBK to the vino next year.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:16 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Did you ever find any good mods for this?

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:28 am
Newb
Newb

Whats been said are the biggest things you can do.

10-12 g rollers in the variator.
ProvoScooter has a true 150cc BBK that does wonders for the V125.
I've heard some folks get some gains out of swapping out clutch springs.

What kind of riding do you do? City riding under 50mph? if so the lighter rollers will give you better low end juice. I just had my scoot break down (tore upt he belt) so I put in 12g rollers. Trying to decide if I needed to go a bit lighter, but I'm going to give it a week or so before I pass judgement.

Good Luck with your mods. I'm not sure how dead it really is here, just joined up for kicks, but if tis truly abysmal, check out the V125 section at TotalRuckus. There are 4 or 5 of us that ride Vinos that post up there occasionally, and it seems to get decent traffic most of the time.

- A

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:52 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
BROKEN BELT caught my eye !! !!
I can't say that it was a surprise ... but ... this is the first Vino that I've heard that has cut a belt off !! !!
Are you changing rollers on a aftermarket variator -or- Yamaha variator.

What we talk about concerning the BELT :: What is EXACTLY the cause ... so if you know :: TELL US !! !!
We SUSPECT ... too much weight on the rollers ... causing the belt to go up and over the edge of the variator.
Do you know how high your belt is riding ?? We use the SHARPIE.METHOD.
Hopefully you already know what this is.
You mark.up the face of the variator to make sure that the belt does not come within 3-5mm of the top edge.

Clutch Spring :: if you'r talking about the contra.spring ... then yes. We've changed that for better acceleration ... but ... the latest thing now is going back toward a softer spring ... less stress on the belt. We're still not sure why the belt is breaking.
spoolboyy wrote:
What's been said are the biggest things you can do.

10-12 g rollers in the variator.
ProvoScooter has a true 150cc BBK that does wonders for the V125.
I've heard some folks get some gains out of swapping out clutch springs.

What kind of riding do you do? City riding under 50mph? if so the lighter rollers will give you better low end juice. I just had my scoot break down (tore upt he belt) so I put in 12g rollers. Trying to decide if I needed to go a bit lighter, but I'm going to give it a week or so before I pass judgement.

Good Luck with your mods. I'm not sure how dead it really is here, just joined up for kicks, but if tis truly abysmal, check out the V125 section at TotalRuckus. There are 4 or 5 of us that ride Vinos that post up there occasionally, and it seems to get decent traffic most of the time.

- A
The Vino section is pretty much all your's ... go ahead and move right in. No one is even going to ask you for the first and last months rent. We'd just be really glad to see ya at home (YAMAHA) scoot and active in this section.
You centainly don't need to stay inside ... everything here is Yamaha (pretty much) 2T 50s, new 50F 4T, Vino, Zuma125, 155, and larger, C3, + other scoots, + other sections.

And we hope that you're not the kind of person to actually stick to the topic ... that hardly ever happens !! !!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:59 pm
Newb
Newb

Yeah, not sure what causted the belt to get cut. Basically, one side of the V-belt was worn completely flat and then it snapped. I think the belt jumped off the left side of the pulleys (facing the front of the bike) and got chewed up by the inside of the clutch. Not sure why it would have jumped the pulley though. I was running all stock stuff inside.

Today's work involved dropping some new 12g weights into the stock vari, and putting in a new gates belt. Sharpie trick is a good idea - I wish I had thought of it this morning. I may find myself in there if I tinker with the weight combos a bit more, (i have some 10g weights as well so I can mix and match to make 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14 gram overall weights). I just don't want to be replacing belts again anytime soon. I put two in the dang thing, I should have been good til 24k miles with that many.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I tend to visit a few scoot forums seasonally (I'm in Washington state), like TotalRuckus and ProvoScooter, so I'll add this one to my list.

- A

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
your vino have that glass window for the oil on your tranny cover like some ive seen

do you have to drain the oil to get in there, and replace gaskets each time to even look at the variator

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

Yeah, which sucks. There's an O-ring that keeps the oil from leaking out in it the fill and vent holes for the window. There is also a gasket for the aluminum belt/transmission cover, but its probably not 100% necessary. I bought two of them and put one on today, all it does is keep dust and crud from getting in with the belt and variator etc, but the aluminum fits pretty tightly, so if you had to run without it for a day or two, you'd be fine.

I wish I could run it without the cover on for a week or so just to keep an eye on it etc. I hear there's a plug of some kind out there for the oil reservoir holes, but I haven't looked hard for it, not sure if I'd trust it since there aren't any threads etc....

- A

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
That's what I do ... coverless most of the time ... just so that I can worry and check.
There's no belt dust there ... I can tell you that !!
spoolboyy wrote:
I wish I could run it without the cover on for a week or so just to keep an eye on it etc.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:31 pm
Newb
Newb

BioMedHMC wrote:
That's what I do ... coverless most of the time ... just so that I can worry and check.
There's no belt dust there ... I can tell you that !!
spoolboyy wrote:
I wish I could run it without the cover on for a week or so just to keep an eye on it etc.

What kind of scooter do you run?

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next