View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Taida 203cc kitted CygnusX 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Taida 203cc kitted CygnusX
So a tuning software is needed for the more rev's. 15 is just to small amount of power, but i expect a ton of torgue.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:14 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: Yamaha CygnusX, Taida 203cc, taller gearing, work in progress
Finished the pipe and fitted the new muffler. Without the little insert it really barks now. It is very similar sounding to one of our Suzuki FXR150 race bikes with the open pipe. It is a bit lean so I'm expecting it to perk up once a bit more fuel is put in. I'll try and get it on the dyno tomorrow and will post a few photos and hopefully a short video of a dyno run.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:32 am
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: Yamaha CygnusX, Taida 203cc, taller gearing, work in progress
Haven't made it to the dyno but have tried a few jets. Can't seem to get rid of a weak spot which is causing havoc. The variator won't let the engine get over the stumble. I will try a few extensions just in case it's a simple length problem. I'll probably end up making another pipe but keep it only 29mm diameter the full length. This one is 29mm ID for 170mm then 32mm ID for 330mm.

It is a sweet ride with the stock pipe on. It pulls hard from idle and yet a quick squirt on the motorway sees 110Km/H without effort.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Attachments:
SAM_1259 (640x480).jpg
SAM_1259 (640x480).jpg [ 345.66 KiB | Viewed 4970 times ]
Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:06 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Could be weakness of a lack of fuel being delivered, what type of jets do you have in now?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 am
Scooterologist

I checked the jet size using a drill bit. Then I drilled an unused jet to the next size up drill . I went up a few more sizes until it refused to take throttle. I've gone back to the stock pipe and best jetting. I took my son for a ride today. Even 2up it pulls 80Km/H up a pretty steep & short hill and pegged the speedo over 110Km/H and a bit more on the motorway and was accelerating still. I also tried the stock airbox as I really aren't a fan of the noise from the pod filter. The airbox killed it so the pod filter is back on. I really don't think the stock pipe is all that bad. I will be trying the new pipe with various lengths added as I have now seen a few pipes on the net with looooong pipe to the muffler.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:04 am
Scooterologist

Oriiginally the pipe finished at the flange where the muffler bolted on. It therefore stepped from 31mm ID to 50mm ID. After talking to a friend who is pretty good with 4 strokes I decided to build a cone on the end of the pipe inside the muffler. The inside of the muffler actually has a plain 52mm tube for about 70mm from the flange face. So the cone I made had a small diameter of 31mm and a large diameter of 52mm and was 70mm long. I brazed it on the end of the pipe and then slid the muffler over it and bolted it to the flange as before. It still sounds the same but it runs sweet. I haven't tried changing jets yet and it feels a bit weak at larger throttle openings. Will try a jet or two tomorrow after work and try and run it on a dyno over Christmas to get some actual numbers.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:15 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

so how did this turn out? anyone ever hear back from this guy?

2009 Zuma 164 cc - Ported head, 28mm TB, oil cooler ( Race concepts: http://www.facebook.com/RCscooters?fref=ts ) , (Average 70 mpg * est) Top speed ( 70 speedo tucked in any weather.) , Mutt Muffler and tst variator, PG clutch, rrgs 1000 rpm spring, png bell. Daytona belt. 12/39 gears 10/12 rollers.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:52 am
Scooterologist

I'm still around. I haven't made any progress with this, still running the stock pipe as it's quiet. The other pipe is hugely loud. The scooter is running sweet and I'm still loving it. Been pretty distracted with other projects like my fuel injected 125 twin and my son's MB100 race bike + all the usual house stuff.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:24 pm
Scooterologist

Time for an update. It's still running sweet. Update complete.
Got a new house so definitely got house stuff to do now plus I've got into building a motorcycle dyno. It's taken months of weekends working on it but it's nearly there. My other play thing, the 125cc FZR twin has the turbo on it now which is why I'm building the dyno, so I can load it up and tune the A/F ratio. I've put Ecotrons fuel injection on it so it'll be easy to do. I've already been through the process without the turbo and got it so it's sweet to ride. Regarding Ecotrons, I think they would be a good system if anybody was building something "interesting".

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:14 am
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2013 BW 125, Taida 155cc BBK, forged piston, titanium retainers, 155cc min. injector
To make your muffler quiet you must use a perforated tube and muffler packing. The bigger the muffler and longer the perforated tube is the quieter it will be.

I am currently building a muffler for my BV350 because the Akrapovic is $723cdn. I am modifying the stock large muffler using a 2 1/2 stainless perforated tube with an outlet of 1in, the header is 1 1/2in. If I use a larger outlet tube like 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 it might be too loud. I used reducers to go from 2 1/2 down to 1in and shortened them has much has possible , this keeps the perforated tube has long has I can so it will be has quiet has possible. I will wrap the perforated tube with a stainless screen then steel wool, then I will use fiberglass to fill the rest leaving no empty pockets.

The inside of the reducers are smooth to expell the exhaust gases fast with has little restrictions has possible. No different then the ports on your cylinder head.

For your 200cc I would try a smaller outlet tube like 7/8 or 3/4.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:43 am
Scooterologist

Still going good, however, blew the belt going to work last week. Luckily wasn't betweem lines of cars or going over a bridge in lane 3 but just cruising at about 80Kmh. Got it home later that day and fitted a new belt and some 10g rollers I had. Original rollers are 9g. It's highlighted a little gap in the powerband quite low down which might be fixed by raising the needle one notch. Apart from that it's awesome. I should have done it ages ago. The transmission is far better suited to the 203cc engine now. Very relaxed easy cruise at 90-100Kmh with plenty to go. I must put it back on the dyno as I suspect it might have been revving beyond "best power" and a higher reading may be achievable. Transmission is stock other than the 10g rollers and up gears.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:54 am
Scooterologist

Time for my annual(?) post. Scooter is still going fine. My son now rides it to Uni when the weather suits, buses otherwise. I'm still not happy with flat spots and I can't seem to tune them out. I was thinking about a new CVK carb, or going fuel injected. Given that it's quite a change from a carb I thought I'd ask if anyone else has done a conversion and what they used. To be honest I haven't even checked the trigger tooth setup on the alternator rotor. I was thinking I might reuse an Ecotrons 2 cylinder system I have which I had on my cutdown FZR but I have a lack of confidence in the system, hence removing it and installing a Link ECU.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:53 pm
Newb
Newb

I have used wide variety of bikes for the past ten years and therefore is in a position to judge what is good and what is not. When one is okay in some conditions, it may not be so good in some other conditions and locations hence, I suggest buy bikes that suits your roads and climatic conditions. I think these are the two things we have to look into consideration when buying a bike for our use.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

Hard to believe it's been over a year.
The scooter finally stopped while my son was riding it home. From his description of what happened the crank has failed. I've pulled it down and it all looks OK with just a whisker of blowby on the piston.
No point putting it back together with all the same stuff so emailed Chris for some bits. Getting a new 66mm big block, roller cam, +8.8 crank, heat sinks, oil cooler, and all new transmission. I'm keeping the Taida 24/22 head and the upgears I already have. I have a carb off a FXR150 to try as I'm still not happy with the 30mm Keihin copy. It should be a good sensible commuter :) .
We ended up using the pipe I made and set the jetting using my Ecotrons Lambda meter. It ended up being pretty good, just a little loud.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2