View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 polini variator slow 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
Post polini variator slow
So I put in the new polini variator, thought it was to help with acceleration but its the opposite. It takes off twice as slow now. Came with 9g rollers and from all I know lighter makes acceleration faster.
One big difference is that shaft the vari slides on is considerably fatter then the stock almost twice as big which makes me think that the belt is starting in a higher gear as its not sitting down lower.

Im also using the blue spring it came with too. Is this a clutch thing? where I need stiffer springs because I was under the assumption all I had to do was install the variator

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: polini variator slow
LOL - dude, put your stock one back in -

my Polini Maxi Speed is sitting on the shelf - for a paper weight....useless...

09-BWS 192cc (Army Issue - Camel Spider Tan, 1ea)
65mm Forged Piston: Custom Port job on 24mm Large Valve Head: 32mm Koso TB: 10-hole injector: Stock ECU: Stock Cam: Stock Crank/Rod: LeoV Exhaust: Modified Stock Airbox with Uni-Free Flow inside: Polini Sport Clutch: Stock Vario/9g: Custom LED Blinkers: Yes, its fast; No, you can't ride it!

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Damn, WTF
I got a guy from drow sports calling poinin usa to see whats up. Do you think its because that shaft is fatter then stock, keeping the belt up higher?

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Im changing back to my stock contra, even though the polini spring says 10 or 15% stiffer then stock, using my bathroom scale method its lighter by 10 lbs compared to stock. They are also the same height but the polini is harder to drop in as it rubs on the rubber sheave thing.

So I put my stock vario back on and drilled my rollers to 10.3grams but still feels same taking off which is fine as long as I dont loose any more speed taking off unlike the polini

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is old and new, see the center shaft on the new, how much bigger it is, is this causing my belt to sit higher at start, causing the slower start.

I measured the ramp angle too, both exactly the same 15 degrees.
Now the new one is just a hair bigger total but I was expecting a different ramp angle. If its the same why even get it?

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, Zumike - i had the same issue man with my Polini -

It also seems like the Polini weighs more than the stock vario (Can you verify that if you have time???)

I got mine from Team Calimari and Susan talked it up and about how the guy from Polini came to the US just to develop that vario for the zuma 125 - well, that idiot should be fired...

I noticed a huge decrease in take off speed, but gained an extra 1.5-2mph on the top end, but the lack of take-off speed sucks bad with the Polini!

They only make a few sets for weights, and nothing lighter that what comes with it. from my understanding anyway....

I was kinda pissed i paid so much for nothing....

I thought about trying to sell it here on the Forum, but I would never give my fellow zuma buddies some piece of Sheot! I just ate the loss and let that sucker sit in my garage...holding down some papers...lol

09-BWS 192cc (Army Issue - Camel Spider Tan, 1ea)
65mm Forged Piston: Custom Port job on 24mm Large Valve Head: 32mm Koso TB: 10-hole injector: Stock ECU: Stock Cam: Stock Crank/Rod: LeoV Exhaust: Modified Stock Airbox with Uni-Free Flow inside: Polini Sport Clutch: Stock Vario/9g: Custom LED Blinkers: Yes, its fast; No, you can't ride it!

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Seriously contact louie from polini usa and get a refund. I also ordered more weights because I figured the 9g would be to light, now I have to return those too and loose 20% fee.

I sent louie all my pics but he doenst get in until 1/2 hr. But I would def complain he claims it works so good but also wasnt much familiar with my zuma internals. Maybe with a old thin belt but it runs fine but they dont advertise it needing anything else.

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

You know what, the number I was given for louie at polini usa is the same number for spi. Because ive even seen louie for an e mail contact at spi. Thats where I got the weights I need to return now from. Thats weird that they are the same store.

Yep they even answer polini usa when I called. So I guess spi is polini usa if that matters.

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

here is what I found out from spi/polini usa.
they were using the polini belt when testing that vari. Louie asked me to measure my belt, but I dont want to tear it all apart again. He said he would send me a longer belt but you see I already have a 900 mile belt, a brand new stock belt and I dont want to now hove to use a special longer belt. I feel like im the test subject. This should be done by them. Now if they want to give me free parts fine, but not if I have to pay myself to do there R&D

So tilt, call them and ask to have them send you a longer belt then sell it as one complete unit. Or pressure them into returning it if they stand behind there product.

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

So ive never heard back from Louie at all, he had my phone# and e mail. I did happen to call about a rma for the weights I had ordered from spi parts and talked to louie as they are the same people for polini usa.
Im guessing louie is the owner as the parts I got from spi has his name on the box, not a buisness name.
Sort of disappointed he really hasnt contacted me about the pics or anything, almost like he could care less about the problem. Guess that says alot for polini usa and spi parts. It was like pulling his teeth for a rma for the weights. I had ordered those incase the ones that came with the vario were too light, I see no reason keeping them if I tossed the vario. Plus it was about $36 to buy those.

So unless I know for a fact a part will work, im not going to shop with spi parts. Just didnt get a good impression from there customer service, very hard to get ahold of anyone, and I had left 3 times my name and number to be called back but never received a call, except once for the rma about 1 hr later. Also dont like the fact no one there seems to know much about the zuma 125, how they sell parts for it that dont work really bugs me. Im sure most people wouldnt be able to return a used part like I was able to from Drow Sports. That tells you the type of buisness he runs.

Now louie did want to send me a polini belt if I gave him a measurement of my stock one, but I dont want to go that route. That center shaft on the vario is way too big for the 125 plain and simple.

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

ZUMIKE wrote:
So ive never heard back from Louie at all, he had my phone# and e mail. I did happen to call about a rma for the weights I had ordered from spi parts and talked to louie as they are the same people for polini usa.
Im guessing louie is the owner as the parts I got from spi has his name on the box, not a buisness name.
Sort of disappointed he really hasnt contacted me about the pics or anything, almost like he could care less about the problem. Guess that says alot for polini usa and spi parts. It was like pulling his teeth for a rma for the weights. I had ordered those incase the ones that came with the vario were too light, I see no reason keeping them if I tossed the vario. Plus it was about $36 to buy those.

So unless I know for a fact a part will work, im not going to shop with spi parts. Just didnt get a good impression from there customer service, very hard to get ahold of anyone, and I had left 3 times my name and number to be called back but never received a call, except once for the rma about 1 hr later. Also dont like the fact no one there seems to know much about the zuma 125, how they sell parts for it that dont work really bugs me. Im sure most people wouldnt be able to return a used part like I was able to from Drow Sports. That tells you the type of buisness he runs.

Now louie did want to send me a polini belt if I gave him a measurement of my stock one, but I dont want to go that route. That center shaft on the vario is way too big for the 125 plain and simple.

I really hate when guys buy AFTERMARKET PARTS and expect stock pieces to work in conjuction for it.

Buy the belt and stop giving yourself even more head aches.the face on the polini variator is larger meaning a higher topend if you actually took the time to tune it.if the boss of the variator is larger you NEED a larger belt which can help more in performance....

and guess what that belt may be wider in length so you will need tuning spacers....

GAWD

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

First of all did you even look at my pics, the face is maybe 3 mm larger so basically its the same size as belts never work there way to the top edge.

If it was described in the product description that I need to buy a belt, then I would of not got it.
Here is the ad
"The Polini Zuma 125 Variator Kit will help you increase the top speed and acceleration of your Zuma 125. Factory Yamaha Zuma125 variator is design to limit its speed at about 60 mph. Polini Zuma 125 Variator diameter is large and than the factory which gives you a higher top speed. Polini also use lighter roller weight which helps in acceleration. "
I put it on, acceleration crawls, top speed the same. So it doesnt work like advertised.

Please show me where it says oh by the way you need even more parts to use this. This vario is not made for the 125, its made for a majesty or whatever its called. Also the 3 people I called for help about this never said you need a new belt to use this, that was only figured out after all the time I put into sending pics and testing out different scenarios. Like I was doing all the R&D to get it to work.
Also I did buy 2 sets of rollers incase the ones provided were too light. Who even knows if a different belt will work, the belt sits too high in the pulley. It says acceleration, and top speed. You cant have both with such a high belt.

Its crap for a stock setup, and its probably crap with a bbk. Its not made for the 125, just some marketing guy noticed it fits so they slap a label on it and sell it to suckers.

Funny how other brands just slip on with stock parts. Im not one to sit around and accept a bad part, I will actually post pics of the problem and find a way to solve it. Which I did. I did a quick search here and didnt see any pics of why it sucks, all I read is it sucks.

I have ordered something else for 1/3 the cost and from other people here they say it works with no extra parts needed, so I will see if that works. Im not forcing anyone not to buy the polini, if they want to good for you. But I will not spend $140 only to find out it does nothing like it says. I dont mind buying rollers but a whole special belt, no thank you. There is no guarantee that the new belt would even work without buying even more parts. I like to keep things simple. Just drilling out my stock rollers have helped more then the polini and that cost me nothing.

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125
X7rocks wrote:
and guess what that belt may be wider in length so you will need tuning spacers....

GAWD

Wider in length?

Serenity: 155 cc kit w/ WPC treatment on piston, High lift cam, 140 cc/min injector, KOSO Delta clutch, 1000 RPM contra spring, TST variator with 10g/12g rollers, Two Brothers Exhaust w/ P-3 powertip, rear LED signals, Yamaha rear rack, Heads-up battery display, Power Mate, Scratch built footpegs and front rack, Yamaha Majesty gears, Yamaha BWS 125 short windscreen.
http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14734

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:36 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also may not have mentioned it here, but the contra spring provided is not 10 or 15% stiffer then stock , its softer then stock. I use a bathroom scale to check and it was 10lbs lighter, and I had 2 blue polini springs both 10 lbs lighter. may be another reason proving that the vari kit doesnt go for a 125, most likely another scooter brand

here is the pdf for it http://uk.catalogo.polini.it/dep/PI219.pdf

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

if your top end drops from lighter weights then guess what you need? a stiffer contra.
K-moe when i mean wider the edge or the "face of the belt"

If the drive boss is larger then you will obviously need a larger belt not only to make the lowend come back but to also make the belt reach the top of this larger variator (the ruckus guys learned this the long hard way by not listening and found there topend to be much higher)

If the variator ramp plate can fit then it was made for the engine. Try my method out and try to tell me you did not gain top speed.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next