View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Getting a Spare Key Made??? 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125
Post Re: Getting a Spare Key Made???
zuma_scoot wrote:
It will not start without the key being programmed. the key "IS" programmed to function with the ignition. If you look on the side of your key you will see a black circle/dot thingy, this is where the chip is inserted to the key and the dealer is the only one that can do this and will need a vin to program it and thats where it gets pricey. With out that you will only be able to use it to open the gas tank, seat and switch.

There is no chip in a Zuma 125 key. The little circle you are referring to is a detent for the sprung ball bearing that lets the end of the key swivel and stay at 90º to the main part of the key.

Serenity: 155 cc kit w/ WPC treatment on piston, High lift cam, 140 cc/min injector, KOSO Delta clutch, 1000 RPM contra spring, TST variator with 10g/12g rollers, Two Brothers Exhaust w/ P-3 powertip, rear LED signals, Yamaha rear rack, Heads-up battery display, Power Mate, Scratch built footpegs and front rack, Yamaha Majesty gears, Yamaha BWS 125 short windscreen.
http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14734

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:43 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125- (1) Yoshimura TRC Exhaust (2) Two Brothers Racing "Juce Box" Fuel Controller
zuma_scoot wrote:
According to my salesman, it will be about 100 bucks to program the key to the ignition.

Yea... I think your salesman is pulling your leg. :raise:

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:23 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

zuma_scoot wrote:
According to my salesman, it will be about 100 bucks to program the key to the ignition.

ask your dealer how much crack he's been smokin' :2bong:

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 125. Dual Headlight mod, LED Gauges, Yamaha Rack, Koso Tail lights. More to come....
who knows man.... im just stating what he told me... i was trying to get another key aside from the spare for my g/f to have and i decided not to until he told me that... and i wasnt talking about the metal circle on the key swivel... theres is a black one obove that.... i saw it on my key. Personally i dont know if the scoot will start or not with out being programmed.... only one way to find out and thats to try it out...

8000k's HID's, Dual Headlight mod, Blue LED Gauge lights, Koso L.E.D. Tailights, Yamaha Luggage rack, Yamaha Wind screen, Yamaha Fairing Basket, Yoshimura Exhaust, Taiwan-Yamaha OEM Aluminum skidplate, koso aluminum foot gaurds, Koso Tachometer

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:32 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125
http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

Serenity: 155 cc kit w/ WPC treatment on piston, High lift cam, 140 cc/min injector, KOSO Delta clutch, 1000 RPM contra spring, TST variator with 10g/12g rollers, Two Brothers Exhaust w/ P-3 powertip, rear LED signals, Yamaha rear rack, Heads-up battery display, Power Mate, Scratch built footpegs and front rack, Yamaha Majesty gears, Yamaha BWS 125 short windscreen.
http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14734

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:26 pm
Newb
Newb

cbolling wrote:
Anybody gotten a spare key made for their Zuma?

Mine only came with 1 and I would like to have a spare. The local Yamaha Dealer ordered one and it took over a month before they could get it.

Well it came in and it is the whole key set, by this I mean 2 keys and the round silver part that the key goes in. $40 for the whole thing which is actually less than I would think this cost for all that but I don't want all that. All I want is a spare made.

Is the little part on the back that moves the lock cover different for each bike or will 1 zuma key open the lock cover on all Zumas. They looked the same at the dealer.

I just need a spare key made. Any suggestions?

Yes, I just purchased a 2005 49cc Zuma that had only one key, I took the key to ACE HARDWARE and had two extra keys made for $1.99/each and they both work fine; start-up, open seat & shut off.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:15 am
Newb
Newb

I just got two spares keys made for my 2005 Zuma 49cc at Ace Hardware for $1.99/each using my original Zuma key to copy from.... they work fine....

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:12 am
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2012 Zuma 125
In case anyone is going to order a cover & key set, apparently the keys come in right and left versions, with 2 different part numbers. Here is what 2wheelpros says:

"Looking at the existing key with the plastic on the bottom and the metal on top, if the groove is on the right side of the key then use 5S9-WH250-10-C0 if on left use 5S9-WH250-10-A0"

Thu May 05, 2016 10:11 am
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 13 zuma 125 - stock
raygromer wrote:
In case anyone is going to order a cover & key set, apparently the keys come in right and left versions, with 2 different part numbers. Here is what 2wheelpros says:

"Looking at the existing key with the plastic on the bottom and the metal on top, if the groove is on the right side of the key then use 5S9-WH250-10-C0 if on left use 5S9-WH250-10-A0"

Is it just me or is that description impossible? Here is my key, I'm assuming the groove is circled in red but if you flip it over its on the other side... Not sure if the blue side is correct or the yellow side is correct to decipher this... I've never had an issue with this key being upside down like a house key. Am I crazy/stupid? (Entirely possible scenario)

PS thanks for the part numbers - super helpful and i'll definitely be ordering one when I figure this out... i've found my (1 set) of keys on the beach miraculously a few times and I probably shouldn't rely on that type of luck

Attachments:
image.png
image.png [ 749.09 KiB | Viewed 3791 times ]

Tue May 10, 2016 11:10 pm
Newb
Newb

I'm pretty sure they're not talking about the little notch you have circled, they're talking about the 1-1/4" long groove. Yours is on the left side (unless your photo is reversed). Look at the photos on page 2 of this thread, those are on the right side.

Last edited by raygromer on Sat May 14, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 11, 2016 8:59 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 13 zuma 125 - stock
raygromer wrote:
I'm pretty sure they're not talking about the little notch you have circled, they're talking about the 1-1/4" long groove. Yours is on the left side (unless your photo is reversed). Look at the photos on page 2 of this thread, those are on the right side.

Great... thanks for clarifying - i see it now

Wed May 11, 2016 10:00 pm
Newb
Newb

This is what I got when I ordered WH250-10-C0. Apparantly, the part number changed to 5S9-WH250-11-C0

Note the last character in the part number is zero, not the letter O

Attachments:
IMG_3963.JPG
IMG_3963.JPG [ 458.54 KiB | Viewed 3749 times ]
Tue May 17, 2016 12:07 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: I'm still a complete noob. I upgraded from a 2004 Zuma 50cc to a 2013 Zuma 125. There's a lot for me to learn.
I know that this is an old string, but a lot has happened since the last post that I would like to add to it. I too bought my 2013 Zuma 125 used and it came with two keys, but only one of them has the little magnetic Key Bow and there is no key identification number tag on the key ring.

When I talked with the folks at Yamaha, they told me that they can’t identify and copy the key using the vin number. It needs the key identification number to make a match. The only solution would be to purchase a whole new set of keys as well as a new key hole set up like the photo above in raygromer’s post. Oh, you would also need the gas cap lock as well as the ignition. The cost of this is over US$100, not counting any installation costs.

— Rick Rudge

http://tapastic.com/series/Kickstart

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 pm
Profile YIM
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2009 Yellow Zuma 125, RC Scooters 168cc Stroker BBK
I know it is not the best solution, but it is a quick/cheap solution... I had an issue where the tiny magnets (located in the ignition locking mechanism would not respond well when using my key to unlock the ignition. I tried both keys and it was the same result. I removed the ignition lock assembly and took it apart. (Make sure you do this in an area that is clean and easy to spot tiny springs and magnets when they fly out.) On my ignition lock assembly I noticed that the springs where worn out and did not provide equal support to each of the tiny magnets. If even one magnet does not rise to the correct position, then the lock will not unlock. I ended up just removing all the magnets and springs from behind the metal plate where the key goes to unlock it. I cleaned and lubricated everything with dry teflon spray lube and re-assembled everything. Now it will unlock with the key or any other object that you can use in its place. It is obviously not as secure as it once was when the magnets/springs worked... but at least it functions well enough. The ignition lock was never meant to provide great security... it is only a minor theft deterrant. Anyone with a truck/trailer and some help can take your bike. The ignition assembly can be accessed and replaced without ever having to unlock the cover plate.

How-To: Fix All LED TurnSignal Flashing & NonFlashing Issues
How-To: BWS Asian HID Projector Headlight Retrofit
Taida King Cam (New In Box) For Sale: $90 Shipped
KillerScooter/BTX Foot Pegs/Bar (Scuff Marks & Slightly Bent Mounting Tabs, it Still Works Great!) For Sale: $50 Shipped
PM me for Pics...

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3