View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 RC test mule 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: RC test mule
CHRIS !! You gotta educate these guys -and- get us a huge MAGNET on this !!
I like it.
I'd like it better if it had a magnet.
ZUMIKE wrote:
oh that's the oil screen bolt
that already comes with some sort of heatsink fins

I thought it was the drain bolt

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:35 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

BioMedHMC wrote:
CHRIS !! You gotta educate these guys -and- get us a huge MAGNET on this !!
I like it.
I'd like it better if it had a magnet.
ZUMIKE wrote:
oh that's the oil screen bolt
that already comes with some sort of heatsink fins

I thought it was the drain bolt

i did mention about a magnet............... nothing happened.

i just need a small NEO-Magnet and i will just JB weld it in.

HOEDAR ECU, GJMS, HOBAO, KOSO, PG,
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16410 <------ RC R&D

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

i was fortunate to test a takegawa roller cam kit last year.

easy to install and setup.

on 1st start up you can tell by the way it idles it's different from my RC street/race hi-lift cam. idle is smoother and throttle response is intant with a lot of bottom end torque. loved the cam for short trips around my area. the scooter would instantly jump and hit 35mph pretty quick. re-throttle was pretty quick and snappy, instant response. only con was midrange to top speed. it would lose steam once u get pass 35mph and feels pretty slow in the 50-60mph range and took forever to hit top speed (70mph). basically didn't have much power from 8,000-9,000rpm. re-tuned the cvt and messed with the forceworks with no luck.

i really wanted to degree the cam and put it on the dyno to see the HP/graph. unfortunately the roller rocker snapped when i was doing a test run. heard a loud metal pop and motor just shut off. i thought i put a hole in the piston or cracked it cuz that's what it sounded like. till this day i still don't know what caused it. it was a stock ported cylinder head with stock valves/springs. it's not bent and the valve lash was adjusted. it snapped off clean and instantly.

Attachments:
takegawa.jpg
takegawa.jpg [ 122.68 KiB | Viewed 1803 times ]
SANY0414.JPG
SANY0414.JPG [ 2.66 MiB | Viewed 1803 times ]

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:29 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Race Concept wrote:

are the roller rockers available by themselves?

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:42 am
Profile WWW
Scooter Addict

Chris should be able to get you either Taida's version or Koso's. Both brands have a set.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:40 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

DerHahn wrote:

Seeing as the roller rockers happened to be the weakest link in this mod, it would be the furthest thing I'd consider installing. Takegawa is known for making some high quality parts, but if they failed to properly cast or reinforce the roller rockers, then I'd avoid going that route no matter who makes the part, unless a serious improvement in design/materials/manufacturing occurs.

How-To: Fix All LED TurnSignal Flashing & NonFlashing Issues
How-To: BWS Asian HID Projector Headlight Retrofit
Taida King Cam (New In Box) For Sale: $90 Shipped
KillerScooter/BTX Foot Pegs/Bar (Scuff Marks & Slightly Bent Mounting Tabs, it Still Works Great!) For Sale: $50 Shipped
PM me for Pics...

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:34 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

JohnnyFYX wrote:
DerHahn wrote:

Seeing as the roller rockers happened to be the weakest link in this mod, it would be the furthest thing I'd consider installing. Takegawa is known for making some high quality parts, but if they failed to properly cast or reinforce the roller rockers, then I'd avoid going that route no matter who makes the part, unless a serious improvement in design/materials/manufacturing occurs.

just what I was thinking
sure its a cool part, but then it just snapped
and luckily caused no other damage

unless its a freak thing and there are hundreds of the same ones on the road with no problems

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

having worked as a machinist for years in the past, i know that there can always be some bad castings here and there. but i've always liked the roller rockers. even the stock engine could benefit from less engine resistance

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:40 am
Profile WWW
Scooter Addict

Although i agree that Takagawa parts tend to be very high quality, those may have been a lemon, the loss of mid-high power is odd. but to be a stickler, i did say that Taida and Koso both have their own kits. So maybe the angle on theirs maybe different and not as much loss on the mid-high, who knows. i for one want to find out!

*note to self, buy roller rocker arms and matching cam shaft...

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:50 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

DerHahn wrote:
Race Concept wrote:

it's a kit, roller rocker arm with matching camshaft.

some of takegawa parts are made in taiwan. u can say this is the 1st generation since it has been out for 2+ years. only recently other companies in taiwan is starting to introduce it.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:04 am
Newb
Newb

Here's my 2 cents...
I'm nearly 100% sure that roller rockers require a different cam profile to work properly. A cam for use with roller rockers should have a more oval shape than the tear-drop shape of a standard tappet cam.

Anywho, I'll hold off the roller setup for the day my Zuma gets a 200cc or greater BBK.

2012 Zuma 125, Leo Vince oval can exhaust, Simota air filter, Lightweight fan, HiT Clutch w/ red clutch and yellow pillow springs, NCY contra spring bearing, TST Variator w/ OEM shim, 11/12 sliders, 1k Spring, KOSO BWS LED Taillight. 155 bbk, high lift cam, light weight cam sprocket, 140cc fuel injector. GJMS suspension, 13/43 gear, GPS, RX2N 10k with a one-off black box for lean angle cutoff switch, 12v socket.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:13 pm
Newb
Newb

Race Concept wrote:

on 1st start up you can tell by the way it idles it's different from my RC street/race hi-lift cam. idle is smoother and throttle response is intant with a lot of bottom end torque. loved the cam for short trips around my area. the scooter would instantly jump and hit 35mph pretty quick. re-throttle was pretty quick and snappy, instant response. only con was midrange to top speed. it would lose steam once u get pass 35mph and feels pretty slow in the 50-60mph range and took forever to hit top speed (70mph). basically didn't have much power from 8,000-9,000rpm. re-tuned the cvt and messed with the forceworks with no luck.

i really wanted to degree the cam and put it on the dyno to see the HP/graph. unfortunately the roller rocker snapped when i was doing a test run. heard a loud metal pop and motor just shut off. i thought i put a hole in the piston or cracked it cuz that's what it sounded like. till this day i still don't know what caused it. it was a stock ported cylinder head with stock valves/springs. it's not bent and the valve lash was adjusted. it snapped off clean and instantly.

Another 2 cents...
Looks like (difficult to judge by the picture) the cam suffered some adhesion wear with offset load, then finally ending with galling and destruction. Does Takegawa offer springs to go with the cam? It also looks like the cam lobe closest to the larger bearing was also seeing some "float" of the rocker arm, as there is very little wear pattern between dwell and duration. Or possibly the cam had too much lift and was binding the spring.
A bad casting (as others have mentioned) can produce the same failure results if there was a micro fracture or casting seam close to or at the roller bosses.
Hopefully they will want it back for microscopic analysis and metallurgy to help find the root cause of the failure.

2012 Zuma 125, Leo Vince oval can exhaust, Simota air filter, Lightweight fan, HiT Clutch w/ red clutch and yellow pillow springs, NCY contra spring bearing, TST Variator w/ OEM shim, 11/12 sliders, 1k Spring, KOSO BWS LED Taillight. 155 bbk, high lift cam, light weight cam sprocket, 140cc fuel injector. GJMS suspension, 13/43 gear, GPS, RX2N 10k with a one-off black box for lean angle cutoff switch, 12v socket.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:42 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

ZillyScoot wrote:
Here's my 2 cents...
I'm nearly 100% sure that roller rockers require a different cam profile to work properly. A cam for use with roller rockers should have a more oval shape than the tear-drop shape of a standard tappet cam.

Anywho, I'll hold off the roller setup for the day my Zuma gets a 200cc or greater BBK.

roller rocker kits always come with a matching cam.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:32 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

ZillyScoot wrote:
Race Concept wrote:

Another 2 cents...
Looks like (difficult to judge by the picture) the cam suffered some adhesion wear with offset load, then finally ending with galling and destruction. Does Takegawa offer springs to go with the cam? It also looks like the cam lobe closest to the larger bearing was also seeing some "float" of the rocker arm, as there is very little wear pattern between dwell and duration. Or possibly the cam had too much lift and was binding the spring.
A bad casting (as others have mentioned) can produce the same failure results if there was a micro fracture or casting seam close to or at the roller bosses.
Hopefully they will want it back for microscopic analysis and metallurgy to help find the root cause of the failure.

most of the damage and wear is from when the roller rocker arm cracked on one side and this caused the roller bearing to roll uneven on the cam lobes. then it just snapped off and motor shut down.

these kits are designed to work on the stock valve spring. yamaha valve springs can take some major abuse. as long as you don't go over the RPM limit or run some radical cams. too big of a cam won't work well on a fuel injected engine (unless u go stand alone ecu). radical cams is mainly for carburated engines.

however the spring could be old? i have to put it on a spring tension tester at my friends shop.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

well the test mule is now in hawaii since i moved.

i am still always developing/testing to get the best bang for the buck for my kits. 155R has been upgraded several times and many of you actually have my 158R. reason i don't advertise it cuz the cylinder factory keeps running out of 59mm nikasil. but always abundant of 58.5mm cylinders. pistons is always in stock. so actually my 158R has been out for a good 4 years now. i would say 70% of the people who ordered got it.

my camshaft has gone through 3 changes now and the current one is the largest cam. only thing bigger is the roller cam kit. lift is about the same but roller is allowed little more duration so has better mid range torque. difference with the cam is the power band in midrange to top end. pulls way harder now and linear pull to top speed. just keeps on going!

so if you was to take my more recent 155R bbk vs a older one that's 4-7 years old. the newer one would pull away and have better speed. that has already been verified by customers. then his buddy who lost went and upgraded to the roller cam kit and beat him back lol. unfortunately the roller cam kit is not for everyone since you need to change the valve spring. the kit comes with matching stiffer springs. need special tools to change it. but if customers sends me their cylinder head i can do it for them if they bought the kit from me. or purchase my V1 high flow head same time and i can install it. this makes it a more bolt on setup.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next