View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Open Intake. Good or bad? 
Scooter Addict

Post Open Intake. Good or bad?
The screws to my intake filter box are gone and I was propositioned with the idea of taking it off and having the open intake. I'm calling on the experience of those who have tried it, do you like it or is it a waste of time? I'm not looking for performance gains or anything, just thought it may be easy and inexpensive.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:46 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Post Re: Open Intake. Good or bad?
the fi should compensate for the extra air
but you will be louder
and i think the crank vent goes into the airbox so you should set up a catch can or something along that lines

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:50 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

you will need to take care of the breather line, most put a small filter on it, as it blows out air while the engine is running and small amounts or oil so if you can mount the end facing up high it will allow the oil to drain back down that tube and not clog up the filter
you only need a filter to keep stuff from getting into the engine

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Cob Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Shorty Stock Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s
2007 Honda Metropolitan FOR SALE

Image Image Image

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:50 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

jmkjr72 wrote:
the fi should compensate for the extra air
but you will be louder
and i think the crank vent goes into the airbox so you should set up a catch can or something along that lines

from what ive read the computer only adjusts from idle to 2000 rpm
after that its on a programmed map so depending on the setup you could go lean, all depends on the setup
stock probably be fine, just check the plug to make sure

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Cob Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Shorty Stock Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:52 pm
Scooter Addict

Ha. Very quickly went over my head. I wonder if there is a vid out there of somebody putting together an open intake.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:01 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is what the airbox delete would look like.
You will need some sort of airfilter on each of the hoses that had previously attached to the airbox.
brian.dion wrote:
do you like it or is it a waste of time?
I'm not looking for performance gains or anything,
just thought it may be easy and inexpensive.
Attachment:
DSCN1224.JPG
DSCN1224.JPG [ 619.4 KiB | Viewed 483 times ]

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:11 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

go to home depot in the plumbing section
they will have rubber 90 or 45 elbows about 1-1/2 not sure the exact size needed and you can fab up your own custom intake
ive read the length may have an effect maybe the number of bends. im no air intake expert but ive read plenty of threads about this

best bet and cheapest is leave your stock intake resting right where it is with no box around it, because if the intake is tuned then yours is set right

just find a clamp on filter that fits and also think about water how that will effect airflow if your filter gets real wet. if your not riding in a rainstorm then it may be fine

or clamp that filter right on the throttle body hidden under the seat so water may not be an issue

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:18 pm
Scooter Addict

I like the idea of deleting the box and leaving it under the seat so there is no/reduced effect of water in the event that it's raining when I ride. I ride rain or shine because this is my commute to work vehicle...granted work is less than a mile from my house.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]