View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Getting a Spare Key Made??? 
Scooter Addict

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 125, 2001 Honda Shadow
Post Getting a Spare Key Made???
Anybody gotten a spare key made for their Zuma?

Mine only came with 1 and I would like to have a spare. The local Yamaha Dealer ordered one and it took over a month before they could get it.

Well it came in and it is the whole key set, by this I mean 2 keys and the round silver part that the key goes in. $40 for the whole thing which is actually less than I would think this cost for all that but I don't want all that. All I want is a spare made.

Is the little part on the back that moves the lock cover different for each bike or will 1 zuma key open the lock cover on all Zumas. They looked the same at the dealer.

I just need a spare key made. Any suggestions?

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:45 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125
Post Re: Getting a Spare Key Made???
cbolling wrote:
Anybody gotten a spare key made for their Zuma?

Mine only came with 1 and I would like to have a spare. The local Yamaha Dealer ordered one and it took over a month before they could get it.

Well it came in and it is the whole key set, by this I mean 2 keys and the round silver part that the key goes in. $40 for the whole thing which is actually less than I would think this cost for all that but I don't want all that. All I want is a spare made.

Is the little part on the back that moves the lock cover different for each bike or will 1 zuma key open the lock cover on all Zumas. They looked the same at the dealer.

I just need a spare key made. Any suggestions?

The magnetic switch cover key is different for every Zuma. As far as I know they can only be purchased through the dealer so people who don't want to pay for a Zuma can't just get a key for a free Zuma. If you don't mind having the lock cylinder accessible you can pull the headlight housing off and remove the lock bezel (it's held to the cylinder with one screw that is behind the legshield.) If you do that then any locksmith can make a plain key.

Serenity: 155 cc kit w/ WPC treatment on piston, High lift cam, 140 cc/min injector, KOSO Delta clutch, 1000 RPM contra spring, TST variator with 10g/12g rollers, Two Brothers Exhaust w/ P-3 powertip, rear LED signals, Yamaha rear rack, Heads-up battery display, Power Mate, Scratch built footpegs and front rack, Yamaha Majesty gears, Yamaha BWS 125 short windscreen.
http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14734

Last edited by K-Moe on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:50 am
Scooter Addict

Any idea what is involved in switching them out if I decide to buy it?

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

cbolling wrote:
Any idea what is involved in switching them out if I decide to buy it?

When I bought mine the dealer told me that replacement keys are matched to your vin # and will work in the existing lock. If that's not the case look in my last post for the answer to changing out the lock bezel.

Serenity: 155 cc kit w/ WPC treatment on piston, High lift cam, 140 cc/min injector, KOSO Delta clutch, 1000 RPM contra spring, TST variator with 10g/12g rollers, Two Brothers Exhaust w/ P-3 powertip, rear LED signals, Yamaha rear rack, Heads-up battery display, Power Mate, Scratch built footpegs and front rack, Yamaha Majesty gears, Yamaha BWS 125 short windscreen.

Last edited by K-Moe on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:54 am
Scooter Addict

I mean do you know how much mechanical work is involved if I buy the set from the dealer. Am I going to have to take all kinds of plastic off?

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:56 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

cbolling wrote:
I mean do you know how much mechanical work is involved if I buy the set from the dealer. Am I going to have to take all kinds of plastic off?

If they will only sell you new keys with a new bezel then you have about 20 minutes of work. The lock cylinder is the silver bit just to the left of the horn in the first pic of this thread viewtopic.php?f=57&t=5891
The procedure to remove the front is here viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7667 I use a plastic putty knife to slide between the panels to release the plastic tabs without the risk of having my finger cut off :mmmhmm: .

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:00 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
even now for me getting that front off is very hard and ive been in there a dozen times. it uses weird hidden clips and stuff and you have to rip it out carefully and pray you dont break the plastic. the part that slides off over the fender is the most difficult
once the front is off the lock thing is easy to get too. Last time I had my front apart I saw that one screw was missing and my ignition just fell out. So I had to scrounge around for a screw and red loctite it in. who knows where it went or if it was missing for a while

I would just get a key from a locksmith unless your tearing into the front to do other things. go get some hid's and make it worth while to take the front off

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125- (1) Yoshimura TRC Exhaust (2) Two Brothers Racing "Juce Box" Fuel Controller
My keys came with a little metal tag with one letter followed by three numbers. The owners's manual says that's to order replacement keys.

I would think a dealer would have a way to find that code with your vin. Image

Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:08 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

like zumike stated, use locktite on the lock cover screw if taking it off or getting that far into. several of us have found that screw loose or missing after having vibrated out.

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: Honda Ch150 with red duct tape on the sides! Yamaha Zuma Without red duct tape on the sides!
cbolling wrote:

you take the front panel off and there is one screw that holds the whole ignition cover on.
Should be pretty straight forward.

Mine came with 2 keys. if you bought it from a dealer just complain to them or Yamaha that they didn't give you the spare.

http://www.zumaforums.net/Gallery/v/mrbuttons/

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Scooter Addict

Yup. Mine came with 2 keys too, plus the key code tab. If you didn't get 2 keys and it was brand new, I'd be wondering where my other key is!

Maybe there is a shady mechanic at the dealership looking to steal yo dookie...oh snap!

But seriously, you can get an exact copy of your key from either the VIN number or the Key Code on the tab.

My experience with Suzuki is that keys cut by code alone are VERY rough. My dealer had to order 2 before we realized it wasn't the wrong key, but it wasn't 'deburred'. But that was also on my gixxer which has 6 tumblers, I don't know if a zuma has that many...

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:37 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
It's not the key blank so much ...
Yamaha Zuma 125 scoots have this "SHUTTER" for the key.hole.
The replacement key has to have the correct "magnetic" hex thing for the "shutter".
dougs1219 wrote:
But seriously, you can get an exact copy of your key from either the VIN number or the Key Code on the tab.
My experience with Suzuki is that keys cut by code alone are VERY rough.
My dealer had to order 2 before we realized it wasn't the wrong key,
but it wasn't 'deburred'.
But that was also on my gixxer which has 6 tumblers, I don't know if a zuma has that many...

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:01 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 1990 Zuma II *SOLD* 2009 Zuma 125
I have 2 Z125's

The Magnet lock cover release tabs are actually numbered. If you look directly at the tab face on the back of your key you will see a number on it, its kinda lightly printed in there but it is there. Mine is 18 and my wifes is 19. Mine doesnt work on hers and hers doesnt work on mine. I havent found anyone with matching magnet numbers to try it out on and see if it works when the magnet numbers match but I would assume it would. Go to your dealer and ask to look at the set. check if the new keys have matching magnet numbers to yours. if they do ask to try it out on your own scoot in the parking lot and if it opens the cover then just take them down to a locksmith to get them cut. $40 is cheap to me to get a spare set of keys to this bike with matching magnets.

2009 YW125Y Zuma 125 Hers is Yellow*SOLD*

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 am
Scooter Addict

1st of all, to those that asked, I bought it used and only got 1 key.

2ndly, I was on my way to the dealer a few minutes ago to just buy the set of keys. $40 really is pretty cheap for the set and the cylinder. Then I realized that there was a problem. I stopped on the way and got some gas. :doh:

If I get a new set of keys, how will I open the gas cap? :confused:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:25 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125- (1) Yoshimura TRC Exhaust (2) Two Brothers Racing "Juce Box" Fuel Controller
Did you ask your dealer if they could cross reference your vehicle identification number with the key tag code to get an original replacement key?

If they say they can't or won't, I'd call Yamaha customer service.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next