View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
 RC test mule 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post RC test mule
hello fellow bws / zuma 125 fanatics.

some of you have known, i picked up a white 08 bws 125 this past weekend. this will be my test mule for some of the items i will be introducing later on.

it was a last minute purchase and i rushed down to the scooter shop on a friday afternoon.

once i left the shop and put a full tank of gas i was on my way. 15 minutes later i got a flat tire :doh: come to find out the tire was repaired and plugged before. riding it like you stole it broke the plug free.
waiting on the side of the road for the truck.
back at the shop getting a new tire.

on saturday i installed the forceworks fuel managment unit and a complete cvt upgrade.

tst variator kit with 10 & 11 g rollers
PG 1,500 rpm torque spring
PG heavy duty clutch bell
FRC race clutch
FRC race torque drive
simota re-usable air filter

in the end i was able to raise the top speed from 50 mph to 60 mph (factory speedo varified), this is sitting up. i am 6 feet tall and weight 190lbs. the scooter is a 08 and has 7,000 miles on the odometer. engine is all stock.

forceworks is in default mode meaning there is no adjustments. reason i installed it is for dyno testing and updating the forceworks owners manual since there has been changes.

HOEDAR ECU, GJMS, HOBAO, KOSO, PG,
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16410 <------ RC R&D

Last edited by Race Concept on Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:36 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Re: RC test mule
1st inline for take off/test parts!!!!!

It looks too stock to be yours!!!

Great man, I cant wait to see the progress on it.

2009 YW125Y Zuma 125 Hers is Yellow*SOLD*

Tue May 03, 2011 8:39 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shoxg wrote:
1st inline for take off/test parts!!!!!

It looks too stock to be yours!!!

Great man, I cant wait to see the progress on it.

smart man :patriot:

yes some parts will be for sale once im done with it. i will post it in the used section.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:47 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

the stock washer that goes inbetween the boss and drive face is 1.23mm thick and 20.86mm outer diameter.

TST comes with two washers

1. 0.98mm thick and 21.27mm OD

2. 0.52mm thick and 21.35mm OD

play with these washers to find the best performance for your situation. if you was to add the two tst washers it would come out to 1.5mm.

stock 1.23mm + tst 0.52mm = 1.75mm

all this different thickness will effect how far the belt will sit down low on the variator and how high up will it sit on the rear torque drive. this has a effect on low end and top end.

for instance if i was to run just a tst 0.52mm washer the varaitor is closer to the face drive and made the belt sit higher on the variator at idle. if you look at the rear torque drive the belt is not on the top anymore. same problem zumike experienced. this effected low end grunt but great for top speed as the variator has a easier time to push the belt higher.

for a stock motor i ended up with the two tst washers at 1.5mm total and three 10g with three 11g rollers. low end lagged a little so i added the 1,500rpm torque spring. this brought back the low end. with that setup i was able to increase the top speed from 50mph (stock) to 56 mph (tst + 1,500 spring). once i added the FRC race rear torque drive i was able to hit 60mph. with a longer stretch of road and full tuck im sure i can hit 62mph. all this is speedo varified so actualy GPS speed is much lower.

i also tried 1.75 and 2.21, this was awesome for low end and mid range. great city setup. not so great for top speed, took longer.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:48 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stock outer daimeter is 113mm

TST outer diameter is 117.54mm

this has a effect on top speed as a larger daimeter allows the belt to ride higher if the rear torque drive allows it, also belt length can play a role.

if you notice the ramp and thickness. the stock one has a shorter ramp since it's outer wall is thick. this has a effect on how far the roller weights will go to push the metal ramp plate. most aftermarket has a longer ramp and outer walls are thinner. this allows the roller weight to roll further out and push the metal ramp plate more and in effect push the varaitor closer to the face drive. all this allows the belt to sit higher for more top speed or better top end.

ELMARKO the variator to double check how high the belt rides up the variator.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:48 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

also people have asked about the grease seals on the stock variator and why a aftermarket one doesn't.

this item cause more resistence and if it leaks grease will be on the belt that will cause slippage.

taiwan aftermarket varaitors are desgined so it does not require grease. different materials are used so it can slide freely on the boss without drag. just make sure to clean it from time to time as grime can build up and cause it to stick in worst case. if there is too much slack and the boss wobbles in the variator then it's time to change the variator.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:50 am
Scooter Addict

Chris, ... Which rollers (?) .... ( the lighter /or heavier ) go in which of the TST ramps ????

Marty ... :confused: , :cheers:

Image Marty in NJ

2009 Black Zuma 125, 31,000 miles + , Dual headlight Mod., RC 1,500 Rpm Clutch Spring, Koso LED Tail Light, C-3 Mirrors + Extenders, Custom Chinese Take-out Font Graphics, Traditional Chinese Letters on front forks ...

2006 Yellow, Honda Reflex, NS 250-A , Mirror Extenders, PVD 1 Weight Tuned Variator -( 21 & 26 gram rollers, Total = 141grm., ( Stock = 156g ) ... Now not only does she look a bit like a Ninja Bike, she actually rolls like one, sorta ...

Tue May 03, 2011 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

+10 mph?
did you do video and gps before and after?

which one upgrade did the most change, or was it all at once
has acceleration changed at all?
can you guarantee that much difference in top speed if someone bought that whole kit you just did?
of course rider weight could change that some so that would have to be accounted for

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Tue May 03, 2011 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thanks for the pics and review!

That must be one tired scooter, mine gets up to 61ish stock before hitting the rev limiter! With the TST (10& 12g's) I'm getting to 65-67mph on flat ground no wind in a tuck with temps in the 80's. This is with a Two Brothers exhaust (not sure if it even makes her faster) and I weigh 150lbs 5'10". I'm sure my size plays a huge role in the speed difference!

Tue May 03, 2011 9:48 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

ZUMIKE wrote:
+10 mph?
did you do video and gps before and after?

which one upgrade did the most change, or was it all at once
has acceleration changed at all?
can you guarantee that much difference in top speed if someone bought that whole kit you just did?
of course rider weight could change that some so that would have to be accounted for

that is not GPS speed. if it was it would be much slower. that speed is on the stock yamaha speedo.

can't say it's one upgrade.

the variator and playing with the shims improve low end and mid range. i have to purchase a digital scale to verify the bws stock rollers. i installed three 10 and three 11g rollers that made it heavier and lag a little. the 1,500 rpm spring brought back the low. this allowed the heavier roller to keep on going and improve high end. the race rear torque drive opens more so this made the top end even easier and less lag. playing with the shims to find the right medium is what did the trick. this allowed the rear torque drive to work in unisen with the variator.

next is to install the daytona belt that is +2mm longer and this should improve top end even more.

as for video, i need to figure out a way to mount the digital cam. would be nice if there was a timer too. it's the distance and time it takes that is most noticable with different changes in shim.

btw with the 1,500 rpm spring you will notice more engine braking or drag when decelration untill the clutch disengage. also will notice more vibration as some call it that's due to the stiffer spring causing more load on the cvt system. the spring bearing will smooth this out and also make the spring last longer since there is no twisting motion anymore. the spring just moves freely and just compress or decompress as it should be.

Last edited by Race Concept on Tue May 03, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 03, 2011 9:54 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dizle wrote:
Thanks for the pics and review!

That must be one tired scooter, mine gets up to 61ish stock before hitting the rev limiter! With the TST (10& 12g's) I'm getting to 65-67mph on flat ground no wind in a tuck with temps in the 80's. This is with a Two Brothers exhaust (not sure if it even makes her faster) and I weigh 150lbs 5'10". I'm sure my size plays a huge role in the speed difference!

very nice!!!

yes weight and full tuck makes a huge difference on a stock motor.

all my tests are heavy populated city streets. so the distance is short, i don't even bother to tuck and just sit straight up.

Tue May 03, 2011 9:57 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rasta_Scooter wrote:
Chris, ... Which rollers (?) .... ( the lighter /or heavier ) go in which of the TST ramps ????

Marty ... :confused: , :cheers:

hello marty

heavy rollers go in the ramps marked (S)

the lighter rollers go into the ramps marked (L)

Tue May 03, 2011 10:01 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

smelly had some device that recorded 100 meter run or something, somehow would start when he applied throttle, I think it connected to a magnet to the wheel

when you said (factory speedo varified) I assumed you meant it was calibrated
I can reach 60 indicated right now with only the variator and contra, but mine is about 4-5 mph off according to gps

I thought you gained 10mph from what they do stock, but maybe yours was pretty worn down to start at 50, because if yours is 4-5mph slower like most of ours that scoot was a dog when you got it

now if you can find those easy bolt on parts like you did, that gives me an extra 10mph from what I have now, with normal acceleration I would be all over it

so what does that variator go for?
I like the 2 different ramps

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Now that its finally warm I swear my scoot gained 1 horsepower! Or maybe its the TST vario....

I was riding along PCH at Bosla Chica state beach in HB, going WOT tucked into the wind I was barely holding 60-62mph for a few miles. Turned around and with a bit of a tail wind I was at 67-68mph on FLAT ground! I was in a tuck, if I could have drafted I have no doubt I would have hit 70 but traffic was going slower.

The TST vario and exhaust are the only performance mods I have.

Tue May 03, 2011 5:18 pm
Scooter Addict

How much is that variator, all these high comments about it are making me want to get one. I have a Malossi and also the RRGS street variator sold by Drow. Not overly impressed by either and thinking of jumping ship for this one.

Tue May 03, 2011 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 482 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next