View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Uprating Electrics... 
Newb
Newb

Post Uprating Electrics...
Though I don't yet have a scoot of any kind, I have been wondering if anyone makes an uprated alternator, so I would be able to add foglights and, perhaps, a socket to plug electric clothing into, on very cold mornings. Or any other electrical gadget that could potentially overload a scoot's electrical system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:46 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2011 Blur SS220i / 2008 Buddy 50 / 2011 Ninja 650R / 2012 DRZ400S
Post Re: Uprating Electrics...
I like the idea of plugging in your clothing. Does not really get cold down here but when it does it goes right through you no matter what you are wearing.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:53 pm
Newb
Newb

That's the idea for uprated electics. Every time I go to A&S Powersports to drool over Vespas, I also check out the gear, and they have Gerbing electric clothing on the racks. My thing is, it gets cold enough in Northern California for ice on my windshield, so heated clothing would allow me to ride through the Winter. I also have dealt with fog, so foglights on my scoot would be a valuable accessory. Which is why I've asked this question. I've read how scoot electrics aren't made for heavy duty accessory use, without killing batteries. If I end up adding a bunch of electrical accessories, then I need to consider uprating the alternator, so my scoot's electrical system can handle the load, while keeping my battery fully charged on the road... day, night... hot, cold. All times of the year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2003 Zuma (5500 miles) with Dual Headlight Mod and Integrated Rear Turn Signals
There aren't any uprated alternators for the Zuma that I know of. Although you could potentially wrap more copper coils around the magneto, this might be too in depth for you and I'm not exactly sure how much more power it would give you.

You could also replace all the incandescent lights on your scoot with leds (led taillight, turn signals, and an led speedo light). That would reduce power consumption at all times, although maybe not enough for your use.

I'd also say that you wouldn't want to do the dual headlight mod, since that just adds 35W constant draw to your alternator. (On the Z50 at least).

Michelin Bopper tires

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:39 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2004 Yamaha Zuma (Athena 70cc)
Rick's Electric Motorsports can rewind stock stators on some things to accept more power like lights on a dirt bike, so they might be able to modify the stock stator on a Zuma to provide more output.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:47 am
Profile YIM
Scoot Master

scooters and mods: 09 ZUMA 125
Ive rewraped many quads and dirt bikes stators. about a 25% gain on output.

I could offer the service but it would require you to send me your stator have me rewrap it and send it back. Couldn't do an exchange program.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:11 am
Profile YIM
Scooter Addict

scooters and mods: Zuma 125
Lots of places out there hop up stators. Just do searches in your area. Find any performance shop and 9 times out of 10, if they don't do it they know who does.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:50 am
Newb
Newb

One thing you might want to consider. If you draw more power, be it from headlights or whatever, you will draw away more horsepower from the engine. With an uprated alternator, it will load down the engine more in order to create the additional power needed for whatever your running.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:48 pm
Newb
Newb

dbanner wrote:
One thing you might want to consider. If you draw more power, be it from headlights or whatever, you will draw away more horsepower from the engine. With an uprated alternator, it will load down the engine more in order to create the additional power needed for whatever your running.

Which is why, if fortune smiles in the future (if it smiles past the point where I can afford a basic scoot), I'd like to upkit... for a Zuma 125, I really like that 300cc kit. Should be enough extra juice in that to do the job.

Azkt84, thanks for the offer... since even the scoot is in my future (barring unforseen circumstances), I can't do anything at this time. However, thanks again. I'll keep you and your offer/advice in mind. Now that the subject of stators has been brought up (alternators... my familiarity is with cars), my brain has finally kicked in, and I do remember hearing about rewind services. One more upgrade to add to the ticket. Now, all I need is to work through my present financial difficulties, till the funds come loose that will allow me to join the two-wheeler world. Can't wait.... :cheers:

And thanks to everyone else for the info.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:06 am
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 - NCY 260mm Big Brake Kit ::: 2012 Zuma 50F - Polini variator, Stage6 clutch & bell
BretSV wrote:
Rick's Electric Motorsports can rewind stock stators on some things to accept more power like lights on a dirt bike, so they might be able to modify the stock stator on a Zuma to provide more output.

I emailed Ricks about this and they said Nope. However, when I spoke with ElectroSport here was their answer -

EMAIL FROM 3/5/2018

Hello,

The ESG632 has power output on par with the stock stator, it will produce about 10% more power.

Kyle Wood - Sales Manager
-------------------------------------
Procom Engineering / ElectroSport

2009 Zuma 125 (plated as 50) 2012 Zuma 50F
- NCY 260mm Big Brake Kit - Polini Variator
- Michelin Power Pure SC - Stage6 Clutch, Poorly tuned lol
- Dual LED headlight mod - Dual LED headlight mod
- KOSO Afterburner Taillight - Maxxis M6024 knobbies

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]