View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Started, stalled, no start until it sat for some time. 
Scooterologist

Post Started, stalled, no start until it sat for some time.
I had what I hope was a freak situation - I went to start the Zuma, started fine, but stalled out after maybe 10-15 seconds when I "bliped" the throttle slightly. Then it would not start. Key shut off - no start. Wait 5 minutes - no start. Crank for 30 seconds - no start. Crack throttle and crank - no start. Went to Wendy's had a sandwich, fries and frosty, went back and the Zuma fired up normal.

This is my first EFI bike, if it was a carb set up I'd say the cylinder needed to "air out" from an over accumlation of exhaust from the misfire and stall. No idea what the scam is with EFI. I want to understand why no start?

Clearly next time I will give a bit more warm up time and also smooth throttle, but I just want to know what happened with the EFI. On the old SR five kicks compression release open, key off, then start. On the carbed bikes some lengthy cranking to clean out and fire. But I gave what I thought was adequate time for clean out turning the engine over - no dice. Why?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

Post Re: Started, stalled, no start until it sat for some time.
Did it again today. This time it had sat for maybe a half hour to 45 minutes before trying to start. It started a bit, but my thumb slipped off the button and it shut off - not to restart again after trying about every 1/2 hour, then finally when my friend arrived with a truck to haul it home, I hit the button and it fired as if nothing had happened.

Is it a case of the bike shuts off and there's a charge of gas in the pipe confusing the Oxygen sensor to stop the fuel injection until it airs out or what?

This sucks that I can't trust a vehicle with 3400 miles to start reliably.

Any comments?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

And now today for the third time.

Seems this thing is a piece of crap. I may as well sell it if it can't be trusted to start and run. Am I the only one with this kind of crap going on?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Check the spark plug boot... i had a similar issue when i had about 3k miles on the odometer. Turned out to be a bad OEM spark plug boot.

The only other issues that could cause it is a loose ground on the motor by the starter motor or by the ecu... or possibly that the wire harness has shorted somewhere under the floorboard (but this typically may happen after you get 15k to 20k miles... its caused by vibrations on the harness where it contacts the metal frame under the floor board)

Other possibility is a loose battery terminal... Check the easy stuff first before you inspect the harness for damage. I am betting its a bad spark plug boot. You can replace it with pretty much any universal automotive plug wire boot at your local auto parts store as long as you instal a spark plug that has a terminal nut instead of the bare threads. The OEM wire is just twisted onto the metal spike of the Coilpack. I prefer to use the strait boots vs the 90 degree type... Most of the 90 degree boots are too short to reach the spark plug.

How-To: Fix All LED TurnSignal Flashing & NonFlashing Issues
How-To: BWS Asian HID Projector Headlight Retrofit
Taida King Cam (New In Box) For Sale: $90 Shipped
KillerScooter/BTX Foot Pegs/Bar (Scuff Marks & Slightly Bent Mounting Tabs, it Still Works Great!) For Sale: $50 Shipped
PM me for Pics...

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:06 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

if your zuma 125 has been parked for months here is the process to find out what's wrong.

1st. open the gas cover and key on. listen for the fuel pump buzzing sound. if got noise move on.

2nd make sure battery is fully charged and sits at 13v and power on 12v and while starting 11v. if drops too low it won't start.

3rd. check for spark and fuel spray from injector.

since yours does run but intermittent, check #2 voltage. for 125cc it's able to start on low voltage intermittently. as for bbk it won't start at all. this might be the case if it's been sitting for 2 weeks or longer or the rides you take is short and not enough time to re-charge. battery tender is suggested for cases like this.

HOEDAR ECU, GJMS, HOBAO, KOSO, PG,
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16410 <------ RC R&D

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:15 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=28115&p=364271#p364271

HOEDAR ECU, GJMS, HOBAO, KOSO, PG,
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16410 <------ RC R&D

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]