View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Oil in the airbox? Drenched air filter 
Scooterologist

Post Oil in the airbox? Drenched air filter
So 2 days ago I got to my buddies to get ready to leave out on a road trip. on the way to his house the zuma felt really sluggish. I checked my zuma 125s oil and it was low. We went to walmart and bought some 4 stroke oil 10-40w. We left for the road trip and I left my zuma parked in his garage . We got back last night about 2 am... I put in 25% of the bottle and got all my riding gear on. exhausted I forgot to put the dip stick back in and started my bike. My buddy saw oil spit out and quickly stopped me. I put the dipstick in and headed home. I could not get above 45mph on the way home. It would accelerate then loose power then give me a jolt of acceleration again. I pulled my bike out this morning and there was oil leaking from the aitbox. I unscrewed all the screws and oil came pouring out. about 3 inches of oil was standing in the air box. What would cause this?

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:42 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
Post Re: Oil in the airbox? Drenched air filter
did you over fill the oil?

you have a breather hose going into your air box, may be a gray color
you also have a drain hose coming out of the air box, red color with a cap

if you overfilled, oil blew out the vent into the air box and did what happened

or, you never drained the red line and over time its got full, and if the oil vapors have no where to go they soak into the filter

I would suggest drain all the oil into a measuring cup
I think the bike holds 950ml of oil

see what you took out
and replace with the correct amount

Bike must be level when checking and dont screw in dipstick
just drop in the hole and read it

you want to be in the XXXXX marks
I shoot for the center of the XXXXX

as for the filter
now is a good time to upgrade if you havent
I think drow sprots sells the blue simota filter
its like a k&n type
you can oil it, clean and reuse it too

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.drowsports.com/simota-yamaha-zuma-125-high-flow-air-filter/

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
I believe that you've overfilled your crankcase too

that will cause all the other problems that you described

having too much oil may do more damage than not enough in some instances

try to clean up the mess ... you should be fine

cleaning the oil out of the airbox is going to be the challenge

be really.really careful cleaning the TB ... that's where to FI/ECU sensors live. They're dilicate

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:16 pm
Newb
Newb

Jxnskates wrote:
So 2 days ago I got to my buddies to get ready to leave out on a road trip. on the way to his house the zuma felt really sluggish. I checked my zuma 125s oil and it was low. We went to walmart and bought some 4 stroke oil 10-40w. We left for the road trip and I left my zuma parked in his garage . We got back last night about 2 am... I put in 25% of the bottle and got all my riding gear on. exhausted I forgot to put the dip stick back in and started my bike. My buddy saw oil spit out and quickly stopped me. I put the dipstick in and headed home. I could not get above 45mph on the way home. It would accelerate then loose power then give me a jolt of acceleration again. I pulled my bike out this morning and there was oil leaking from the aitbox. I unscrewed all the screws and oil came pouring out. about 3 inches of oil was standing in the air box. What would cause this?

Were you able to find a solution to your problem?
The exact same thing happened to me, and my oil levels were normal, even less than full. Now, the engine will turn, but won't start.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:16 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

if you have been burning oil, you may have fouled the spark plug

change that out and try to start it
if yours is a 2009, there is a fuel pump recall because they went bad

if that doesnt help, the biggest sign of hard to start engine, that has been known to run could be out of spec valves which need to be checked every 2000 miles

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

ZUMIKE wrote:
if you have been burning oil, you may have fouled the spark plug

change that out and try to start it
if yours is a 2009, there is a fuel pump recall because they went bad

if that doesnt help, the biggest sign of hard to start engine, that has been known to run could be out of spec valves which need to be checked every 2000 miles

Hi Mike. It's a 2009 Zuma, with a new fuel pump, new spark plug, brand new bbk, new camshaft, new starter, timing is aligned, valve Springs in spec, all nuts and bolts torqued to spec, new seals/gaskets, new fuel injector, new belt, new timing chain sprocket, new cylinder head camshaft.

After building the new engine, the Zuma ran fine running under 40mph. Then, when we tried to go full throttle, it lost power and everything at 40-45mph.

I drained and refilled my crankcase and transmission oils.

Fuel is pumping fine, spark plug is sparking. No check engine light. It's quite a puzzle.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:50 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

probably had too much oil in it then
thats why it was blowing out
its stamped either on the engine, or that plastic cover how much oil it holds

I suggest draining out the oil, measuring how much you took out
then put in what it needs

then see what it says on the dipstick and always use that mark from now on

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

ZUMIKE wrote:
probably had too much oil in it then
thats why it was blowing out
its stamped either on the engine, or that plastic cover how much oil it holds

I suggest draining out the oil, measuring how much you took out
then put in what it needs

then see what it says on the dipstick and always use that mark from now on

Hello Mike.

I drained the oil out (around half a quart), then put in half a quart to avoid any chance of overfilling the crankcase.
The oil level on the dip stick reads around XX, so it shouldn't be over filled right now. Tried to run the engine again, but it will only turn and not run.

I found another forum post that describes exactly what happened to me before the whole oil-in-airbox issue:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=26239

Any ideas?

Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:15 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

around half a quart?

get a measuring container, measure exactly what you take out
and what you put in

cant get any easier then that

find one that does ml
thats the size the list on the engine, so if you get the correct measuring container listed in that then you wont have any guessing

since you mention installing a big bore there are quite a few things that could go wrong

cir clips on piston came off
piston rings not timed correctly
piston ring gap not to spec, I can go on and on

if you followed the service manual when installing, then could be something internal that has gone bad if your not getting any check engine codes
guess you need to do a compression test on the engine should be around 170+ if its all working properly

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

I got the same problem, thank god (s) that Zumike is around and he's down to share the knowledge.

I did check oil level, and seems OK to me.

I just got my Zuma and I'm trying to clean / fix everything I'm capable of. I'm gonna do the oil change with the measuring cup as soon as I get the Yamalube in my mail.

Attachments:
20160914_144651-1.jpg
20160914_144651-1.jpg [ 157.06 KiB | Viewed 3869 times ]

ZUMA125 2014 // WiFi controlled RGB Halo headlights // LED dual headlight conversion
Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:44 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

a little oil in the air box is normal

the engine crankcase vents into the air box so your bike can take those fumes and burn them through the exhaust
its an emission thing

it collects any oil and drips into that pink or red/clear tube which you empty once in a while

its possible that oil drops make there way to the filter instead of collecting to that tube
the filter if stock, is also oiled from the factory a little
so the oil isn't that bad

but if its covered by a lot of oil then your reducing the air flow which is bad

I recommend using the simota filter sold by drow sports
its like a k&n it can be cleaned and reoiled

keep the drain tube empty

I found the motul oil I use has almost 0% oil residue in my drain tube
my guess is whatever its made of doesn't vaporize as much as xxxxx brand oil does
which then doesn't collect as much in my air box (im still using stock air box too)

but when I used normal cheap oil I would always have some stronge yellow liquid that I needed to drain out every oil change

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

Motul oil uh!? Which one is the one you use?

It wasn't a little bit of oil. Unfortunately I didn't have my phone close to take a picture but that thing had a 1in. pool of oil. once I opened it just started pooring oil all over.

So the drow filter lasts longer? How many times can you clean it before change it?

ZUMA125 2014 // WiFi controlled RGB Halo headlights // LED dual headlight conversion

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:54 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I use motul 5100

as for the simota filter, I didnt put enough miles to clean it

but I figure it could probably go 10,000 without cleaning it
and it looks just like K&N material so you just spray degreaser
wash out with a sink

then barely spray oil on it
should last the lifetime of your bike

I now use the koso filter
dry foam pads
and won't ever clean those either
I don't put enough miles on it probably the foam will rot away before ever needing to change it so I kept the simota just incase that ever happens as a backup filter

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

Hey Zumike what else would you recommend me to look / clean / change ? As I said. I just got this 2014 with 6k miles on it. I'm going thru the service manual and owners manual and it gets a little overwhelming for a total newbie.

I'd appreciate any pointers

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]