View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 help with valve adjustment 
Newb
Newb

Post help with valve adjustment
2011 yamaha zuma 125 2900 miles. Tried all day to set my valves to the correct gap but have no clue what i am doing wrong. Started with the engine dead cold this morning and couldn't get the smallest feeler gauge to fit any valve (all tight) So I thought i found top dead center by turning the white fan counter clockwise and watching the valves lift up and then lined up the arrow with the eching on the metal part of the fan. loosened the nut and turned the set screw to the proper gap. Tightened everything back up (smallest feeler gauge for all valves within spec) Started the zuma and it clicks really loud like the gaps are huge??? maybe???. I have watched dynamo's video and another one with a guy doing a vino but they were no help at all does anyone know of a video that shows every step including finding top dead center because i have no clue what that means or how it is achieved. I would bring the bike in to a shop at this point but there are none around that are not 2 hrs one way away. I have read every write up and watched every video I thought this was fairly easy i guess not for me.

Help!

sincerly

Beyond frustrated Thanks!

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:13 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
Post Re: help with valve adjustment
there is a dedicated write up here on how to set the valves

but to answer your question tdc is on the intake stroke

so spin over the engine until the intake valves press down
now slowly spin to line up the mark on the flywheel

then verify on the cam sprocket its lined up

check the intake and exhaust valves now

when you use the feeler gauges you want a little drag when pushing in, and pulling out
you dont want it to slip in with no contact at all

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 13 zuma 125 - stock
I've had luck finding TDC by taking out my spark plug and spinning the fan. put your hand over where the spark plug was and when you feel air pushing out towards your hand, then you can line up the mark with the notch. I've used this method for my zuma a few times and it worked out.

On another bike i've done since that, a tutorial mentioned feeling valves and if they wiggle a little bit, you're at TDC... if not, then you have to go another rotation. It worked great on that bike but not sure if that translates to the zuma 125 or not.

Also, make sure your feeler gauges are the correct unit of measurement (i messed that one up before somehow and the valves were wayyy too lose)

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:50 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2013 Zuma 125 ; 2013 Honda Ruckus both stock.
I did mine first time at 2500 miles. I am a novice, but had no problem. I was sure I was at TDC with a screw driver check to feel the piston at top. I did not find it very difficult.

Here is a general link that may help you.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/cs111a.htm

Spitfire Windshield
Highway Bars with folding peg
Koso brand Led afterburner tail lights
Neon Green ground effect lights

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:04 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: Zuma 125 (162cc BBK) TMAX 530
Take a look at the service book. Its instructed step by step. If you look at my early posts, I learned everything from the service book and had no knowledge of scooters or motors prior to that.

Dynamo

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]