View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 OEM contra spring life? 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 09Zuma125,simota a/f,c3 mirrors,red instrmt LED,Koso tail,LV Exhaust,Dr. P var,11g sliders,12t u/g,Polini Bell,Piolt SCs
Post OEM contra spring life?
I've been half assing a search on the life of the OEM contra spring...

Anyone know or recommend how many miles they last? I'm a little over 12K and have been feeling some shuddering above 40 mph...I've had in service for most of the Zuma's life a Polini clutch and evo bell. Still have my OEM spring and think it may be getting spent? Also running Dr. Pulley variator, that could probably use a cleaning...

:cheers:

Thu May 19, 2016 5:58 pm
Scooterologist

Post Re: OEM contra spring life?
There are service manuals here on zuma forums. Find the service limit measurement and compare it to your spring. You'll need a caliper to measure it. Springs tend to loose their stiffness over time. If you can't find the specs let me know and I'll look it up at work.

2003 Zuma 70, Dual headlight mod, C3 mirrors, Michelin Boppers, Athena 70 sport, Stage6 19mm Dellorto, Motion Pro throttle cable, Stage6 choke cable (mounted next to key switch), Stock airbox (snorkel removed), stock air filter, Yasuni R exhaust, Malossi Fly 107mm clutch with BLACK Malossi springs, Malossi RED contra spring, Malossi contra spring seat, 2008 rear pulley assembly, stock variator, 4 gram rollers, Still tuning of course.. does it ever end?

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:08 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
if its aftermarket you can't go off service manual specs as they all vary in size

they are cheap enough, just replace if you think its getting too soft

I have replaced mine 2 times already
and I have over 12,000 miles

I just replaced as normal maintenance
don't really have a way to check them

personally I like the rrgs 1000 spring

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 09Zuma125,simota a/f,c3 mirrors,red instrmt LED,Koso tail,LV Exhaust,Dr. P var,11g sliders,12t u/g,Polini Bell,Piolt SCs
I've got a spare OEM I got from a forum member that has low miles on it...I haven't noticed any change in performance but I've got 13K on the Zuma so I wasn't sure about the maintenance on it.

What are some signs that it may need to be replaced?

I recently switched back to the OEM clutch because I could never get rid of the squeal from the Polini clutch. Everything else has been pretty good otherwise.

Thanks for the replies!

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]