View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 I GOT the handlebars turned straight...finally... 
Newb
Newb

Post I GOT the handlebars turned straight...finally...
Ok...there IS a way..and a fairly EASY way to realign the handlebars so they are straight with the front tire...
Put it up on the center stand...Turn the bike to the right...
Get a flashlight....
If you looks close, under the top plastic cover under the bar mounts..you will see a pinch bracket that uses a 14mm bolt ..I used a sharp tip marker and mark up and down, (on both sides of the pinch opening) exactally where the pinch bolt was positioned on the steering shaft.. for reference..
Then I took the 6 side screws out of the leg shield and the center bolt as well...
Then I easily popped/wiggled the left top of the leg shield loose from the front cover....I almost popped it''s self loose...then I could gently pry the two plastic pieces apart enough to get a long handled swivel jointed ratchet with a 14mm socket onto the front nut...
Then I wiggled a 14mm open end wrench onto the back bolt head....
There was just enough room to do this with the leg shield pried away from the front shield...I used a rag crammed down the crack to hold them apart...
I loosened the nut about 4 or 5 turns and pulled on the bars fairly firmly and they moved on the shaft...As I hoped...
Tightened the 14mm back up and popped/pushed the leg shield back into the front shield...
Put the 6 leg shield screws and center screw back in place..
Entire process took less than 15 minutes...and done...
Note: 1/32" at the stem equates to a lot at the bars...so it probably doesn't need to be turned a lot...

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]