View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Zuma 125 Fuel Pump Tear Down 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Zuma 125 Fuel Pump Tear Down
no production dates? well i guess we all have to wait to see if it dies.

for those that did have issues, how many miles did you get before having an issue? perhaps if we've passed that we have made it into the safety zone.

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Tue May 18, 2010 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

With 3500 miles...I'd say you're safe. Mine had 900 miles when I bought if off the old guy...so not sure when he experienced it, but I'm assuming that's why he traded it back in! I had the problem right away. It's definitely heat related. It ALWAYS starts cold....and will restart right away after a ten minute ride. But if I ride for 30 mins plus....NOT! The pump won't make a noise at all. After a 30 minute cool down...the pump makes it's little noise and the bike fires right back up....ARRGGGG!!! Did get a hold of Yammy dealer -- they said ah yes, a few pumps go out, but no, Yamaha is not doing anything about it and the bike is out of warranty, of course, and they need $100 for a new pump and another $125 to install it. I'm a decent parts replacer...so anyone know how difficult a job it is to remove and install a new pump? :confused:

Thu May 20, 2010 8:02 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

editorwalt wrote:
With 3500 miles...I'd say you're safe.

actually the 125 is over 5,500 miles. but if that is the safety zone, then cool. i'd hate to miss out on summer riding for a damn pump.

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Thu May 20, 2010 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125
editorwalt wrote:
With 3500 miles...I'd say you're safe. Mine had 900 miles when I bought if off the old guy...so not sure when he experienced it, but I'm assuming that's why he traded it back in! I had the problem right away. It's definitely heat related. It ALWAYS starts cold....and will restart right away after a ten minute ride. But if I ride for 30 mins plus....NOT! The pump won't make a noise at all. After a 30 minute cool down...the pump makes it's little noise and the bike fires right back up....ARRGGGG!!! Did get a hold of Yammy dealer -- they said ah yes, a few pumps go out, but no, Yamaha is not doing anything about it and the bike is out of warranty, of course, and they need $100 for a new pump and another $125 to install it. I'm a decent parts replacer...so anyone know how difficult a job it is to remove and install a new pump? :confused:

I can't be sure, but it looks like there may be enough room to pull the pump without removing either the tank or the engine, though the service manual shows that the tank should be removed before servicing the fuel pump. The pump is mounted in the same way as in most cars (a bunch of screws around the perimeter of a ring that holds the pump and gasket in place). Drain the tank, unplug the electrical harness and fuel lines, remove and replace.

Serenity: 155 cc kit w/ WPC treatment on piston, High lift cam, 140 cc/min injector, KOSO Delta clutch, 1000 RPM contra spring, TST variator with 10g/12g rollers, Two Brothers Exhaust w/ P-3 powertip, rear LED signals, Yamaha rear rack, Heads-up battery display, Power Mate, Scratch built footpegs and front rack, Yamaha Majesty gears, Yamaha BWS 125 short windscreen.
http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14734

Thu May 20, 2010 3:00 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

BioMedHMC wrote:
Welcome to the ZForums !! BITE YOUR TONGUE !! "Maybe you should have bought a Rukus" ... what were you thinking ??

Have you thought about CHARGING the battery really well ... before you take it to the dealership. Good luck with the fuel pump but, we haven't heard about of any faulty ones for quite some time !!

editorwalt wrote:
yeah....just bought my Zuma 125 a week ago from an old man who wasn't truthful I think. Had 900 miles on it and no problems, he said. It starts fine when cold, but once it warms up, it will not restart until it sits for about 30 minutes. You turn on the ign and it cranks, but no fuel pump sound. Once it cools, the fuel pump starts working again (pump sound) and it starts right up. Maybe I should've bought a Rukus?
Looks like others are having the same issue. I'm calling the dealership today to see what they can do about it. :doh:

Yeah, but let me remind everyone that it's been cold 'for quite some time'. I think everyone seemed to think the issue was related to heat. Summer's comin'!!

Thu May 20, 2010 6:09 pm
Scooterologist

wow you guys have no room to complain about fuel pumps, (well of course you do but check this out) I've found the zuma pump for just $70 here Boatnjetski Ours for the C3s, mostly the 07s, have the same problems, and list most places for about $300. The cheapest i've found was at the same site for $206. Why the crazy difference????! :wth:

Thu May 20, 2010 11:00 pm
Scooterologist

Mine just died at one year old and 4100 miles on her.

Mon May 24, 2010 12:46 pm
Newb
Newb

Well...my Zuma 125s Fuel pump also went out.
It's now confirmed that my husband did nothing wrong to his.
When the Zuma gets hot, as in the Florida Summer, get ready for the Pump to fail!
Now I have a pump on backorder.
I'll do the work on this one too, so my Zuma is not kicked around a Yamaha dealership for weeks.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

LaurenOE wrote:
I'll do the work on this one too, so my Zuma is not kicked around a Yamaha dealership for weeks.

Amen to that! I'd never let a dealership touch any of my scoots ever again....

Any updates on getting one of the Faulty pumps you got, cut open so we can see what the innerds look like?

Oh and thanks again! This info is always helpful!

09-BWS 192cc (Army Issue - Camel Spider Tan, 1ea)
65mm Forged Piston: Custom Port job on 24mm Large Valve Head: 32mm Koso TB: 10-hole injector: Stock ECU: Stock Cam: Stock Crank/Rod: LeoV Exhaust: Modified Stock Airbox with Uni-Free Flow inside: Polini Sport Clutch: Stock Vario/9g: Custom LED Blinkers: Yes, its fast; No, you can't ride it!

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

I cut open my husband's fuel pump, I threw mine away.
Basically what it looks like is that the pump must be overheating in one of two ways.

1) The "Filter" that is built into the pump doesn't let enough gas flow through, and thus causes the pump to run faster/hotter to deliver the required fuel.

2) The Fuel Pump is an axial type, with the gas swirling around on the inside of the motor. The tolerances of the internal impeller/armature are too tight. When the impeller/armature heat up and expand, it touches or comes in contact with the magnets that drive the fuel pump causing binding and overheating.

Having all those electrical contacts in the fuel is of course safe since there is no oxygen source or ignition possibiliy in the liquid gas.

Since the filter on the outside of the new pumps looks the same, I think #2 is what is happening.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Very interesting - Given your diagnoses and disection, what do you recommend (if anything) as a "Fix" or "Future Concept for a Fuel Pump"

Its obvious, your technical/mechanical ability, so I'm curious as to what you think could possibly be done to prevent this. If the new pumps are the same, then the same scenario can happen over and over.

How can we prevent this?

65mm Forged Piston: Custom Port job on 24mm Large Valve Head: 32mm Koso TB: 10-hole injector: Stock ECU: Stock Cam: Stock Crank/Rod: LeoV Exhaust: Modified Stock Airbox with Uni-Free Flow inside: Polini Sport Clutch: Stock Vario/9g: Custom LED Blinkers: Yes, its fast; No, you can't ride it!

Last edited by Tilt2play on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: no scooter anymore!!! dookie got stolen and tossed out the back of a truck, bent frame had to part it out
if i were going to go off the fuel filter theory then this is what i would do. i would find a way to remove the inbound fuel filter as cleanly as possible to take that resistance away from the pump. then i would put an out bound fuel filter some where before the fuel injector. you would be taking the pressure off the intake of the pump and putting it on the outflow. if the notice to scoot not operating right then you could check the filter first before you bought a whole new pump.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:05 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

how do you get the internal filter out of a sealed pump without destroying it?

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: no scooter anymore!!! dookie got stolen and tossed out the back of a truck, bent frame had to part it out
not to sure. i have a brand new spare pump just in case the one in my scoot goes out. i can take a look at it when i go over to storage tomorrow. i think there are a couple of lock tabs that you can free up just like on the gas cap. i will check and let you know.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:02 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, interesting idea Will - and it could be a solution.

And thats what we should attempt to reveal here: A Solution.

The current fuel pump design is flawed - how can we improve this (ourselves) to hopefully prevent any future fuel pump issues for others...

Of course, one could hope Yammy would figure this out and redesign - its easier, and more profitable to them - to provide a faulty pump which will incur profits everytime one goes out. So instead of fixing the problem, they treat it like modern medicine. Offering up a pill, you have to buy every month, to keep you alive....instead of offering a cure..

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next