View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 How to Replace Fuel Pump 
Newb
Newb

Post How to Replace Fuel Pump
I'd rather drink paint than deal with the pukes at the dealership, so I ordered the fuel pump and gasket online and replaced it myself. The gasket was $67 and the gasket $14.

It's pretty simple to do. I'd rate it a 3 on a scale of 1 to10. 10 being most difficult. The biggest difficulty is removing everything to take out the fuel tank.

I only took pictures after I was finished. Keep in mind, your scoot will be disassembled at some stages shown. Maybe some one can do a better write up in the future, but this may help some people.

TOOLS:
wrenches
socket set
phillips screw drivers
allen wrenches (T handle preferred)
torx T25 screwdriver (really the only special/odd tool needed)
Service Manual (the info in the manual is very basic, but offers some helpful information)

STEP 1:
-remove the seat and plastics need to access the fuel tank

The fuel tank is under the storage tub, so this needs to come out.

The red arrow shows one of the two Torx heads.

The only way I could remove this plastic piece (gold arrow) around the fuel cap was by unbolting the fuel cap assembly (purple arrow). This is where the T handle allen wrenches are needed.

STEP 2
-dissconnect the lines to the fuel tank.

A. vent line on the top of the tank. This is easy to disconnect.
B. electric connection under tank.
C. fuel line connection under tank.

The gold arrow points to the fuel line. The red arrow points to the fuel line connector.

Here is a zoomed in photo.

The red arrow points to the fuel line connector. The blue arrow points to the white plastic fuel pump. The green arrow points to electric connection.

To release the fuel line connecter, pull down on the plastic "U" and push in both buttons. There will be a little fuel in the line, but since the pump doesn't work the rest of the fuel is staying in the tank.

To release the electric connection, gently pry the side tabs out and pull hinged plastic down. With the hinged piece out of the way, the connection will just slide off.

Here is another photo of the same area, looking up from the ground.

The red arrow points to the fuel line connector. The green arrow points to electric connection.

Note the blue arrow points to a nub on the white plastic fuel pump which lines up with a notch in the steel ring that bolts the pump into the tank.

STEP 3:
-unbolt the fuel tank and drain the fuel.

STEP 4:
-look at the underside of the tank and the fuel pump. Not how the pump is lined up with the notch noted above.

-unbolt the ring holding the fuel pump in the tank.

-note how the gasket is aligned with the fuel pump and which gasket side is up.

-remove the fuel pump and gasket.

This is the evil little Chinese beasty with the gasket.

Here is a close up of the bad fuel pump.

The red arrow points to where the fuel line connects. The green arrow points to electric connection. The blue arrow points to a nub on the white plastic fuel pump which lines up with a notch in the steel ring

STEP 5
-install the new fuel pump and gasket. The service manual states you should install a new gasket with the pump and it doesn't cost much.
-Reinstall the fuel tank
-Reconnect the lines to the fuel pump and tank.

STEP 6
-reinstall the plastics and seat.

The seat was the only headache. It takes a few attempts to get the alignment correct. The seat needs to be unbolted, then adjust the seat mounting plate. Check alignment when closing the seat. Unbolt the seat and adjust the mounting plate if needed.

STEP 7
-add fuel
-ride around smiling and cursing Yamaha for installing a junk fuel pump

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:05 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: How to Replace Fuel Pump
Thanks for the write-up. Was your pump faulty, or did you change it as a precaution? If it's faulty be sure to save it, and file a complaint. You could list the resolution as you having changed the pump yourself at your expense.

Serenity: 155 cc kit w/ WPC treatment on piston, High lift cam, 140 cc/min injector, KOSO Delta clutch, 1000 RPM contra spring, TST variator with 10g/12g rollers, Two Brothers Exhaust w/ P-3 powertip, rear LED signals, Yamaha rear rack, Heads-up battery display, Power Mate, Scratch built footpegs and front rack, Yamaha Majesty gears, Yamaha BWS 125 short windscreen.
http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14734

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:12 pm
Scoot Master

Where did you order the pump? That's a great price.

Thanks for the write-up.

2009 Zuma 125 - Stock Engine, RRGS Finless Variator w/ 12 gram Stock Rollers, HighSpeed TD, RRGS Torque Spring w/ NCY Bearing Kit, KOSO Race Clutch w/ Samurai Bell, No CVT Covers, BTX/KS FootBar/Pegs, Stebel Magnum Horn, C3 Mirrors, Fairing Basket, Magnetic Drain Plug, Factory Windshield, Yamaha Rear Rack w/ Aftermarket Top Box

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:16 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

one problem with your write up. in order to remove the plastic cover around the fuel cap, don't use an allen wrench to unbolt things as you have stated. the plastic cover on the fuel cap itself gets removed by a couple of clips. you then close the fuel cap allowing the cover itself to be removed.

this can be verified by anyone who has installed the corbin seat. provided they themselves did a proper install.

edit: added image

Attachments:
capremoval.jpg
capremoval.jpg [ 28.82 KiB | Viewed 3182 times ]

2009 Zuma 155 - 20k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image
Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

So, there is a better way to remove that plastic piece.

Am I not allowed to edit my original post?

I ordered the parts at Apache Motorcycles - Phoenix online store.
http://www.apachemotorcycles.com/fiche_select.asp

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:50 am
Scoot Master

poke it w/ a stick wrote:

Thanks Poke!

2009 Zuma 125 - Stock Engine, RRGS Finless Variator w/ 12 gram Stock Rollers, HighSpeed TD, RRGS Torque Spring w/ NCY Bearing Kit, KOSO Race Clutch w/ Samurai Bell, No CVT Covers, BTX/KS FootBar/Pegs, Stebel Magnum Horn, C3 Mirrors, Fairing Basket, Magnetic Drain Plug, Factory Windshield, Yamaha Rear Rack w/ Aftermarket Top Box

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:51 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

poke it w/ a stick wrote:
So, there is a better way to remove that plastic piece.

Am I not allowed to edit my original post?

editing only works within a certain time frame. after that time has passed, it's a done deal.

the guys at apache are some nice people to work with. they don't thumb their noses at you like those not far away at metro motorsports. those guys suck!

2009 Zuma 155 - 20k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Scoot Master

Nice write up.. it was very helpful when I replaced mine.

One thing I noticed though was that your description of how to remove the electrical connection was a little inaccurate.

Quote:
To release the electric connection, gently pry the side tabs out and pull hinged plastic down. With the hinged piece out of the way, the connection will just slide off.

On mine there was also a button on the backside of the electrical connector facing the fairing which had to be pressed in order to release the connection. It didn't just slide off after I pryed the tabs out and pulled the hinged plastic down....

Thanks for this post it helped alot!

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Just did my Pump. All told took 36 minutes. The hardest part was getting the fuel line loose. Haha Ease Peasy!
Thanks for the write up Poke!
Oh and Yamaha said there would be NO refund because I didnt take it to the dealer to have it done. SCREW Corporate!

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]