View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 How To: Wiring in a 12v power outlet / GPS install 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
Post How To: Wiring in a 12v power outlet / GPS install
I just added a 12v power outlet to my Zuma 125 to power my Garmin GPS and anything else that you can plug into a 12v outlet. I only took a few photos while doing this, but if anyone wants I can go out and take more detailed pictures of all the steps. I'll try to be thorough in my explanation.

First off, parts used for this project:
A 12v waterproof outlet. Got mine on Amazon for $4.99

A RAM mount for my GPS. Both the handlebar mount and the GPS mount came to about $30.00 together on Amazon

A short length of wire, a double spade connector, four normal spade connectors (one of mine was a 90 degree angle connector... but a normal one will do), and a... round spade connector (sorry, I have no idea what the technical term is for these)

Now, onto the how to.

1) Take off the front panel on your Zuma. This is painfully easy, so I won't go into detail. If anyone doesn't know how feel free to ask and I will give you the steps. You basically undo 6 screws on the kick panel, a couple of allen bolts, and a couple of other fasteners and the whole front end comes off.

2) Now you're looking at the guts of the front end. This is a good time to drill a hole for the power outlet. I used a 1-1/8 inch hole saw to do the job. Mark off where you would like to put the outlet and go for it. There is plenty of space under the front panel, but just make sure that you put it in a location that will fit without interfering with anything.

3) Now you can put your power outlet into place and it's time to do a little wiring. You can install your power outlet without hacking any wiring up. Note the picture below: I used a double spade connector at the positive input to the horn (top left of photo). I bent the connectors and plugged the horn wire into one, and the power to the outlet on the other. I grounded the outlet onto the same stock ground location (top right of photo). Next you can plug your positive and negative wires into the appropriate places on your outlet and you are all done with the wiring portion.

4) Install your RAM mount in the location of your choice. It doesn't come with any instructions, but its about as straightforward as can be.

5) Put everything back together.

6) Enjoy your new 12v power outet.

Yavuz

Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
Post Re: How To: Wiring in a 12v power outlet / GPS install
I see that you've got that TRAFFIC.ANTENNA power cord for your Garmin (whatever they call it).

Does that work for you ??
I've got one but, either there's nothing ever to report -or- it's not working -or- not setup correctly.
I just noticed yours.

Thanks for the writ.up.

Did you consider that most all electronic stuff is going to USB for charging ??

Thu May 24, 2012 9:37 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

BioMedHMC wrote:
Did you consider that most all electronic stuff is going to USB for charging ??

i think the usb adapters are easier to get than the other way around.

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Fri May 25, 2012 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
The traffic feature does work for me, but it's normally not very accurate. It has to be on some kind of time delay, but I'm not really sure how long that delay is.

Regarding the USB charging - I have a small adapter that plugs into the outlet that lets you charge USB devices. I figure I will mostly use it for the GPS which is why I went with the socket instead of a direct USB port.

Fri May 25, 2012 5:54 am
Scoot Master

Nice writeup! I've been thinking of doing this mod.

2009 Zuma 125 - Stock Engine, RRGS Finless Variator w/ 12 gram Stock Rollers, HighSpeed TD, RRGS Torque Spring w/ NCY Bearing Kit, KOSO Race Clutch w/ Samurai Bell, No CVT Covers, BTX/KS FootBar/Pegs, Stebel Magnum Horn, C3 Mirrors, Fairing Basket, Magnetic Drain Plug, Factory Windshield, Yamaha Rear Rack w/ Aftermarket Top Box

Fri May 25, 2012 2:58 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
In Baton Rouge the traffic feature is all but USELESS ... I may as well use DIVINE INTERVENTION.
Well, at least you know that your's works.
Yavuz wrote:
The traffic feature does work for me, but it's normally not very accurate.
It has to be on some kind of time delay, but I'm not really sure how long that delay is.

Regarding the USB charging - I have a small adapter that plugs into the outlet that lets you charge USB devices.
I figure I will mostly use it for the GPS which is why I went with the socket instead of a direct USB port.
I follow your logic ... I was just making a comment that I'd heard lately, somewhere else ... about charging ports on a scooter.

And, if you do your lifetime maps undates ... the USB to the PC (laptop, whatever you are using) is the charging cable too !!

Fri May 25, 2012 7:11 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2012 Zuma 50F
Just made a similar modification, only I put the power outlet under my seat compartment. I got the all weather socket from west marine for $12.99

Attachments:
File comment: Pic of 12V outlet under the seat
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 107.92 KiB | Viewed 10429 times ]
File comment: Picture of seat
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 106.08 KiB | Viewed 10429 times ]

- Loving the ride!
Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:12 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2012 Zuma 50F