View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 How-To: Fix All LED TurnSignal Flashing & NonFlashing Issues 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2009 Yellow Zuma 125, RC Scooters 168cc Stroker BBK
Post How-To: Fix All LED TurnSignal Flashing & NonFlashing Issues
***UPDATED NOTE: This Also Fixes the Non-Flashing Issues associated with running the OEM Turn Signals at the front with Only LED Turn Signals at the Rear or vice-verse... OEM Turn Signals in the Rear with Only LED Turn Signals at the Front. In Fact this How-To will fix most non-functioning LED related Turn Signal problems such as the 4-Way Blinking, 4-Way Non-Blinking, and 2-Way Non-Blinking issues. These problems are all caused by the OEM Load Based Turn Signal Circuit & OEM Relay, and this How-To will guide you through the process of how to restore your turn signal functionality.

I've analyzed the OEM Turn Signal Wire Diagram in the FSM, and the best solution to this whole issue of how to avoid the 4-Way 'Flashers' when using LED Turn Signals and an LED specific Turn Signal Relay is to prevent current from flowing through the Turn Signal Indicator Light in the gauge cluster. This is the source of the problem because if there is excess current available on the circuit, it will flow through that Turn Signal Indicator Light and send power to the other side, thus giving you the 4-Way 'Flashers' issue.

People including myself have previously relied on Load Resistors/Equalizers to quick fix this issue; however, the Load Resistor/Equalizer mod will do very little to help you conserve power (this is part of the benefit we all would like to have when switching to LED Turn Signals vs. the OEM bulbs). The Diode LED Turn Signal Mod will conserve the Maximum Power that is Possible when you make the switch to LED Turn Signals and it makes those Load Resistors/Equalizers pointless. Keep in mind, that this Mod requires the use of an LED specific Turn Signal Relay for your LED Turn Signal Lights to flash at the proper timing rate. The OEM Turn Signal Relay will more than likely make your Turn Signals Flash so fast it'll be like a strobe light turn signal.

This is how the OEM Turn Signal Wire Diagram looks:

This is how the Modified LED Turn Signal Wire Diagram looks:

The diagram is pretty self explanatory, but I'll elaborate for those who may be confused about how to do this mod...

You'll need to get some 14-18awg wire (black will do, since it's going to be used as a ground wire), and a quantity of x2 Diodes with Part Number: 1N4004 & Catalog #: 276-1103 (There's 3 diodes in a package) for $1.19... You should be able to find these parts at your local Radio Shack.

You'll need to tap into the gauge cluster wire harness and find the Chocolate color Wire and the Dark Green color Wire that go to the Turn Signal Indicator Bulb Socket. You'll need to cut both the Chocolate and Dark Green color wires, I suggest giving yourself plenty wire length on both sides of the cutting location. This will aid in splicing things back together with the diodes in place.
This is the Gauge Cluster Wire Harness, it should have a bundle of three different connectors (2 white and 1 black).

We are most interested in the Chocolate and Dark Green wires connected to the Black harness connector.

Take the Chocolate color wire from the Turn Signal Indicator Bulb Socket and connect/solder it to the new Black 14-18awg Wire and insulate the solder/connection point with heat shrink. Find a suitable grounding wire nearby, the constant grounding wires should all be Black on the wire harness.

I chose this source grounding wire since it was located in the same wire harness bundle (It's the Black wire attached to the larger white connector).

Conveniently the OEM harness has a Ground Wire Splicing point located about 4-5 inches away from the connector, just cut back the black outer sleeve to expose the wires for a good 4-5 inches to find it. I just attached the New Black 14-18awg Turn Signal Indicator grounding wire to this pr-existing OEM splice and soldered it in place.

Just use some Electrical Tape to insulate the Grounding Wire Splice point.

To install the Diodes correctly, pay close attention to the orientation of the Gray Stripe on the Diodes. The gray stripe is offset on the body of the diode and this offset indicates the side of the diode representing the direction that current will flow through the circuit. If you install the diodes backwards, it will block the flow of current to the Turn Signal Indicator on the gauge cluster... Connect/Solder the ends (located nearest the gray stripe) of the two diodes together along with the Dark Green wire from the Turn Signal Indicator Bulb Socket. Insulate the Connection/Solder point with heat shrink or electrical tape.

Here's how the Diodes are Connected... It's kind of hard to see the Gray Stripes on the Diodes, but just make sure the wires/(pins) on the side of the diodes with the gray stripe are connected together and the other side of the diodes are connected to individual wires.

When you insulate the solder points, it may become difficult to know which wire needs to be connected to the Turn Signal Indicator Bulb Socket's Dark Green wire. I marked the wire with a short length of heat shrink to identify it when necessary.

Here I've completely insulated the Set of Diodes... You can tell which wire is the "output" side of the Diode circuit by the extra piece of black heat shrink. You can use a permanent marker just as well.

Now, Connect/Solder the available end of one of the diodes to the available end of the cut Chocolate color wire (coming from the wire harness Black Connector) and insulate the connection/solder point. Next, Connect/Solder the available end of the remaining diode to the available end of the cut Dark Green color wire (coming from the wire harness Black Connector) and insulate the connection/solder point.

Dark Green and Chocolate wires coming from the Black Harness Connector are now Insulated with Heat Shrink.

After you've finished connecting all the wires on the harness, you can use some electrical tape to bunch them neatly back together.

Lastly, if you've already installed a Load Resistor/Equalizer, then you can remove these components from the circuit as they no longer serve a purpose. With this Modification, you'll save the Maximum Power possible when you switch to LED Turn Signals. The bonus factor is, this modification is cheaper than the others too. :cheers:

Here's a video of the Result, works as expected!

***UPDATE***
Just an FYI, I have about x50 (maybe even more) of those diodes and plenty of wire, shrink wrap and solder to make this kit for anyone who may be interested in saving money vs. the other more expensive brand or buying the materials and spending the time to make your own.

As for the crimp connectors, I can no longer include them in the kit for the original $4 shipped offer; however, for $4 shipped... I will include extra Shrink Wrap with Pre-stripped and Tinned wires for ready-made soldering purposes.

It will be $7.50 shipped for a kit with crimp connectors as these items cost a bit more than the other materials I'm using in this kit.

I ship this kit via USPS First Class Mail (5-7 days max shipping time). I can offer Priority 2-3 day or Next Day shipping, but the shipping costs will be in addition to the original $4 (without Crimp Connectors) or $7.50 (with Crimp Connectors) price for this kit.

So here's what the $7.50 kit includes:

Here is a wire diagram that's specific to the Diode Mod Kit that I make for forum members to eliminate any confusion that may result if you're using the images shown in the general How-To above... Other than the color of the wires and the arrangement of the wires, the kit I provide is exactly the same as shown in the How-To. :cheers:

I do not make any money off these kits, they are sold at materials cost. This is a special offer and convenience to Zumaforums.net members only. I do not sell these anywhere else. If you're interested in getting a kit, feel free to send me a private message for my Paypal address and I'll have the kit shipped out within 24hrs of payment. :patriot:

To clarify to all forum members & answer most PM's, my offer to make these kits will continue to be open & available to this community until the day that I post a message/update in this thread topic that I have discontinued to offer my services to make these kits. If you want or need this kit, simply PM me which kit you would like and a request for my paypal address.

Please send Paypal as a Gift or include an additional 3% to cover the Paypal fees because these kits are priced at material's + shipping costs... I do not make a profit on these kits.
Thank You.

How-To: BWS Asian HID Projector Headlight Retrofit
Taida King Cam (New In Box) For Sale: $90 Shipped
KillerScooter/BTX Foot Pegs/Bar (Scuff Marks & Slightly Bent Mounting Tabs, it Still Works Great!) For Sale: $50 Shipped
PM me for Pics...

Last edited by JohnnyFYX on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:33 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125- (1) Yoshimura TRC Exhaust (2) Two Brothers Racing "Juce Box" Fuel Controller
Post Re: How To: Prevent 4-Way Flashing When Using LED Turn Signa
Have you done this to your bike yet? I think I get it, but a photograph would help.

Intermittent cross flash with an aftermarket flasher relay is why I'm using resistors now.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:54 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'll be doing this tonight! I'll post pictures and maybe a video clip when I'm done. :patriot:

KillerScooter/BTX Foot Pegs/Bar (Scuff Marks & Slightly Bent Mounting Tabs, it Still Works Great!) For Sale: $50 Shipped
PM me for Pics...

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:59 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
No ... it works ...
Kuryakyn has been selling a DIODE KIT for years now.
You can remove the LOAD RESISTORS. They aren't necessary, any longer.

johnysmokes wrote:
I think I get it, but a photograph would help.
cross flash with an aftermarket flasher relay is why I'm using resistors now.

Just for the record. It wasn't the relay that was the problem.
It was and is the console indicator bulb.

Attachment:
Zuma_125_Turn_Signal_LED_Wire_Diagram_Truncated.jpg
Zuma_125_Turn_Signal_LED_Wire_Diagram_Truncated.jpg [ 20.68 KiB | Viewed 27137 times ]
Attachment:
Kuryakyn Diode Kit For Metric Bikes 4709 Wiring Diagram.jpg
Kuryakyn Diode Kit For Metric Bikes 4709 Wiring Diagram.jpg [ 29.31 KiB | Viewed 27137 times ]
Attachment:
Kuryakyn Diode Kit For Metric Bikes 4709 Installation.jpg
Kuryakyn Diode Kit For Metric Bikes 4709 Installation.jpg [ 44.12 KiB | Viewed 27137 times ]
Attachment:
Kuryakyn Diode Kit For Metric Bikes 4709 @ J&P CycleS.jpg
Kuryakyn Diode Kit For Metric Bikes 4709 @ J&P CycleS.jpg [ 54.7 KiB | Viewed 27137 times ]

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:27 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Updated original post to include photos and video of the How-To...

PM me for Pics...

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Zuma 125- (1) Yoshimura TRC Exhaust (2) Two Brothers Racing "Juce Box" Fuel Controller
Excellent Job! Do you still need to use the aftermarket flasher with the diodes?

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:37 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 09Zuma125,simota a/f,c3 mirrors,red instrmt LED,Koso tail,LV Exhaust,Dr. P var,11g sliders,12t u/g,Polini Bell,Piolt SCs
Great post! NOW, I think I understand...I have been trying to wrap my head around the "power" savings with resisters in place for a while now. THANKS! Bookmarked for when I make the switch to LED signals!

One question tho...does the "signal click" need to be modified or is it affected? I noticed in the vid that there is a "beep" instead of a click...was that swapped? With what? Some think the noise is annoying but I kinda prefer it so I know the signal is working with engine noise and helmet on...

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:14 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

It would make sense to install the aftermarket electronic/solid state flasher relay.
1) because the OEM functions with a resistive timing duty cycle. The lamps themselves contribute to the fast rate (or slow rate) of on/off cycles.
2) itself, as a load to the turn signal circuit consumes less power.
3) flashes at a rate that cannot be changed by whatever LEDs and how many are in the circuit.
johnysmokes wrote:
Excellent Job! Do you still need to use the aftermarket flasher with the diodes?
If you do choose to leave the OEM flasher relay in the scoot ... you may get some crazy fast rate of flash.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

The "click" is the inherently functional sound of the bi.metallic stripes inside the relay itself to make the on/off duty cycle. (Resistive) Heating of the bi.metals causes it to bend, flex, change position.

Electronic flasher relays do not have any "click".

ltruby wrote:
One question tho...does the "signal click" need to be modified or is it affected?
I noticed in the vid that there is a "beep" instead of a click...was that swapped?
With what?
Some think the noise is annoying but I kinda prefer it so I know the signal is working with engine noise and helmet on...

If you want a sound, you have to add it back into the circuit with another device.
Piezo speakers have long been used for circuits that require an audible signal as part of it's function.
RadioShack has PIEZO SPEAKERS that are available for different VOLTAGE RANGES
and
dirrerent dB (loudness)
and
physical size ... your choice. There are several that will work well.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:39 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Like I said, it looks nice, however I'm a little intimidated by all the soldering. I have soldered some, but I'm not very good at it.

This union looks tricky. I'd be afraid of overheating the diodes.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:59 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Attachment:
Kuryakyn Diode Kit.jpg
Kuryakyn Diode Kit.jpg [ 6.19 KiB | Viewed 27126 times ]
J&P Cycle Accessories (actually,it's a Kuryakyn Diode Kit) will do the soldering and heat.shrink part of the modification for you.
This way, you can use whatever solderless connector -or- even wire.nut to finish the installation.
SOLDERING IS ALWAYS THE BEST.

johnysmokes wrote:
I'm a little intimidated by all the soldering. I have soldered some, but I'm not very good at it.
I'd be afraid of overheating the diodes.

Here's the link to the J&P Cycle DIODE KIT

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can make a Diode LED Turn Signal Mod kit for you if you want. It'll be $4 shipped. I'll include crimp connectors/splicers to simplify the install for the remaining connections and the grounding wire. PM me for a Paypal Address, if you're interested. I'll color code the 3 wires to simplify the installation process as well.

PM me for Pics...

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:34 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

You know how lazy I am ...
I'll take one !! !! I may get around to doing this after my hibernation is completed.
Thanks for the offer.
[PM] sent.
JohnnyFYX wrote:
I can make a Diode LED Turn Signal Mod kit for you.
It'll be $4 shipped.
I'll include crimp connectors/splicers to simplify the install for the remaining connections and the grounding wire.

PM me for a Paypal Address, if you're interested.
I'll color code the 3 wires to simplify the installation process as well.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:48 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

ltruby wrote:
Great post! NOW, I think I understand...I have been trying to wrap my head around the "power" savings with resisters in place for a while now. THANKS! Bookmarked for when I make the switch to LED signals!

One question tho...does the "signal click" need to be modified or is it affected? I noticed in the vid that there is a "beep" instead of a click...was that swapped? With what? Some think the noise is annoying but I kinda prefer it so I know the signal is working with engine noise and helmet on...

You can get the Piezo Buzzer from Radio Shack, this is the part that I'm using:

90dB Piezo Pulse (12ma @ 12v) $5.79
Model: 273-066
Catalog #: 273-066

I'm also using the SPEEDMETAL LED Signal Relay (web1006869) for Yamahas, it's available at your local Cycle Gear for $19.99 + Tax

Another LED Signal Relay that's popular is the ELFR-1 Plug-And-Play Electronic LED Flasher Relay available from http://www.customled.com/products/flasher_relay/flasher_relay.htm for $19.98 + Shipping.

For this Diode LED Turn Signal Mod to work properly you must have the LED specific Signal/Flasher Relay, because the stock relay will not provide the correct Turn Signal On/Off "Flasher" Timing. It will likely result in a Turn Signal Strobe Light with the OEM Turn Signal Relay.

To properly install the Piezo Buzzer into this circuit, simply splice the Red Wire from the Piezo Buzzer into the Red Wire of the LED specific Turn Signal Relay and the Black Wire from the Piezo Buzzer into the Black Wire of the LED specific Turn Signal Relay. The Piezo will now make the beeping noise whenever power is sent through the Relay to the Turn Signals. The 90db Piezo Buzzer is the best one to go with IMO, cause once you rev. up the RPMs on the motor while wearing a helmet, it's still audible but just enough to notice it... If you choose a Piezo buzzer with less than 90db, then it may be too difficult to hear the beeping noise under some riding conditions.

PM me for Pics...

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:20 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

JohnnyFYX wrote:
I can make a Diode LED Turn Signal Mod kit for you if you want.

PM sent. I used to work in the stockroom for a company that made cables and harnesses for the aerospace industry. Mostly military stuff. I won't hold you to that standard! :haw:

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next