View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:20 am

Forum rules

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Attention++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Effective this week (8-12-11) The vendors area will be moving to a paid service to post vendor ad posts. This will be 30 dollars for a 6 month post, which breaks down to 5 dollars a month. This will include a Forum sponsor tag on your avatar, which will be required to make posts in the vendor section. Fees go towards hosting costs and keeping the forum the #1 source for Yamaha Zuma scooters.

Contact Jdubbya for details about getting a post in the vendor section.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Riding Zumas Across AMERICA. 
Newb
Newb

Post Riding Zumas Across AMERICA.
Hello ZF!

Longtime lurker, first post. Real quick -- thanks to everybody who has helped me over the years with your posts/write-ups/troubleshooting with essentially every Zuma problem ever! I have saved hundreds of dollars, lots of headaches, and even scored some parts from you fine folks. Mucho appreciated.

My friends and I are doing the Scooter Cannonball Run on our Zuma 125s this July and will scooting 3,700 miles from Florida to Washington in 11 days. As you can probably guess, this is going to be backbreaking, sweaty, and VERY taxing on our scooters. All of us are staying with the stock 125cc motors but doing full CVT upgrades (from RC), highway pegs, heat-sink covers (valves + cam chain), and will be rigging up some kind of backrest to help when we need to lean back just a bit for comfort. No extended range gas tanks, no stretch kits, and no other fancy stuff that Zuma folks like to dress up their scoots with. Simple, mostly stock, and hopefully very reliable.

With that said - is there anything that you think is absolutely necessary to help keep our scoots in running condition? I am thinking an oil-temp gauge (what's the safe temp range I should stay within?), removing plastics to allow more air to the engine, and taking off the plastic cover + foam filter on my CVT (unless it starts dumping rain).

Suggestions encouraged! If you don't have any, feel free to follow along at http://www.HighwayToHealRide.com or FB/IG @HighwayToHealRide. We're going to be filming this entire ride for a documentary so I will be sure to keep everybody posted when it's finished!

Cheers.

(yes, I know that is a CT70. It's just a promo photo)

Thu May 12, 2016 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Riding Zumas Across AMERICA.
I've driven (by car) from Yakima, Washington to Palm Beach, Florida and back. That was interesting (hell?) in a car so I'm sure that you'll love it on a scooter! It's an experience I'll never forget though and a few of the most memorable days of my life.
I wish you and your buddies a lot of luck. :)

Malossi MHR Big Bore 77 LC, Malossi RHQ crank, Roost 86 pipe, 28mm Keihin PWK Carb, Stage6 reverse intake manifold, Custom Subframe, Stage6 Vforce3 reed valve, Polini open air Filter, Malossi 2010 Over Range, Polini 2G clutch, Dr Pulley clutch bell, Malossi yellow contra. Aerox wheels. ProTaper bars. Buzzeti side stand. Many more upgrades to come...

2008 Zuma 50
2012 Zuma 50 (sold)
2006 Metropolitan selling/parting out!
2003 Derbi Red Bullet

Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

I've actually got a buddy scooting from Orlando down to Key West as I type this! Doesn't hold a candle to your trip but still sounds like a blast!

Are you talking about removing the engine shrouds? I know that's bad news on a 2-stroke, but the 125 might be able to handle that. Hopefully a 125 rider can chime in.

Stage6 19mm PHBG (38pj/84mj/W7 1 lean)
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stock airbox, UNI filter, snorkel removed
Stage6 HPC 10mm crank
Stage6 Pro Replica, derestricted
Malossi MHR Overrange (24.3g)
Malossi 107mm Delta Clutch (yellow Malossi springs)
Malossi 107mm MHR Wing Bell
Malossi Yellow Contra Spring
Malossi Torsion Controller
Top Performance Reed Block and CF Reeds
RFY Shock
Stage 6 F1 Mirrors
Stage 6 14/42s
NGK BR9HS
Michelin Boppers
Trail Tech Vapor
LEDGlow Underglow Kit

Fri May 13, 2016 3:09 pm
Scooter Addict

looks like theres 4 of you on zuma 125s. Theres some really good info in the forums and on the blogs of the guy who have previously done in on small cc scooters.

Fri May 20, 2016 9:57 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Pinned this to the top of the forum. Godspeed, we will all be following along with your journey. Check out my sturgis trip on a scooter.

You guys are in for the ride of your life.

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Sun May 22, 2016 10:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Scooterologist

Best of luck, a friend of mine is in that race, on an Aprilia 250. I would suggest carrying a spare belt and tools to replace it. An extra rear tire might not be a bad idea. I found that putting highway pegs on a 125 slowed it down almost 5 mph if you actually use them. A top case would be a good idea, and you can get both the case and a custom fit rear rack designed for both the Zuma and the case from Shad. Your main problem is going to be heat and humidity. A liquid cooled scoot would probably do better, but the Zuma should do fine. It's the riders that are going to suffer. I'm in AZ, and trying to ride in 120 degree heat is almost unbearable. Add in high humidity, and it gets worse. Take plenty of something to drink.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:47 pm
Scooterologist

I'd like to know the results of someone riding a 50cc across america. I've thought about riding through other states just to sightsee on one for the sake of traveling. Although mostly I'm staying in my state.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:15 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Removing air shroud on a forced air cooled engine is not a good idea you will over heat the darn thing
Removing body panels won't really make much of a diffrence other then make the scooter lighter

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Scooter Addict

Post Re: Looks like all the Zums are still intact
And heading into some rain in Wyoming...

http://www.scootercannonball.com/result ... pdates.php

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:51 am
Newb
Newb

Hope to go on a fun adventure like yours soon.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]