View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Best BBK + UpGear path (otherwise bone stock scooter) 
Newb
Newb

Post Best BBK + UpGear path (otherwise bone stock scooter)
Hello,

I've read everything on the forum I can on BBK for the 50F. Me and wife own a 2014 and 2015 Zuma 50F. I've done nothing to either scooter except the variator washer trick. We live in mostly flat Michigan. Our scooters made enough factory power to achieve flat ground summer speed to the point of cutting into the rev limiter. After the washer trick...we almost never bump the rev limit on flat ground...it bought about 5mph in increased speed. We GPS at about 40mph.

100% reliability and driveability is our goal. We would like to get to a healthy, honest 45-50mph solo on flat ground to aid in back road, 2 lane cruising. Sometimes we may ride 2 up (I'm 190, she is 110...so overall payload of 300#ish)...would be nice to have better hill climbing. We are not acceleration junkies...so do not plan any transmission mods.

We have been waiting for more information/products to bubble up over the years on the best BBK path to follow. It seems that not much new has surfaced here over the years.

Our current plan - is to perhaps try the Malossi 66cc kit with the fuel management system. I've located it for $360 these days. Plan to only do one scooter to see results. Also - since we are so near the rev limit on bone stock machine....figure we will need to up-gear to turn the additional HP into useable top speed. It would be nice to have similar acceleration to the current 49cc stock machine....

So, what are the thoughts on just the Malossi 66cc + I think 13/44 up-gearing?

I'm 50 yr old....a mechanical engineer, and have extensive mechanic skills...so this should be a simple project. I really want to avoid the tribal knowledge, black art to a zillion transmission tune paths if possible.....unless I'm really missing the boat on that side of the equation.....it just seems that there is really no rock solid well defined path for those mods.

We enjoy the $18/3yr moped sticker, no insurance and no M/C endorsement....else, we'd be on the 125cc path. We like the simple life.

Bottom-line: reliability with a few basic mods. Plan to keep the BBK and gears to about a $450 project per scooter.

Thanks for any advise or opinions.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]