View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Some scooter camping. 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Some scooter camping.
Over the weekend I met up with some of the guys from the scooter club I ride with in Portland for a bit of scooter camping.
Met them in Sandy and showed them the back way to Hood River over Lolo Pass. Was a great ride. Only about 5 miles of gravel (I wish there was more....). We had some food in Hood River and then decided for ease of getting supplies to just camp at a nearby campground along the river. Sunday we had some breakfast and headed over to WAAAM http://www.waaamuseum.org/ to check out the machines. They take just about every single plane, car, and motorcycle (and they have a few old scooters) out once a month and drive, ride, fly them around. Pretty cool. We missed the monthly "learn to drive a Model T day" by one day. They have two of them that they take out and show people how to drive them so you can take 'em for a spin.
Then it was back up Lolo Pass and home. Had a great time and just cooked my contra spring. Once it gets warm now I can only climb at about 10mph with the engine totally bogged. Got a white Malossi one the way to me and am going to come up with some kind of case venting I can still do stream crossings and ride through deep mud with. Thinking I'll have to snorkel it with a tiny 12v fan forcing air through. (Maybe I should have just bought a big cross terrain bike for the type of riding I do..... But the 50cc is just too much fun!)

A few pics.
Me on the way up before my contra spring turned to mush. Funny how the mountain is only like a mile away but looks like it's 20.

Near the top. That little Metro was out climbing me..... the shame. (Though he has done a lot of little tweaks to it)
the owner of it has ridden his 750 Kawasaki to Yellowstone from Portland and said it was not nearly as tiring or fun as taking a scooter to Hood river.

Camp taking shape. Had to move tents around to get all 4 in the site.

"Dirty Gatorade" (Fierce grape and whiskey)

Packed up sunday morning. We lost the Bajaj but gained back another rider that met us out there.

A few pics from WAAAM.

Back up at the top of Lolo on the way home for a stretch the legs and fuel break.

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19720

Last edited by TeamCatFlap on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:03 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Some scooter camping.
Looks like a hell of a fun trip. I would love to take a trip like that, I can just never seem to get the time off work to do it. :mad: Maybe next summer though.

TP Tophy BBK
Stock airbox-w/UNI filter pad and snorkel removed
Dellorto PHBN 17.5mm carb-90 main/30 pilot/50 starter jet A12 needle w/clip at middle notch (still tuning)
Polini Evo reeds
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stage6 Pro Replica
Malossi Multivar-33gr total weight
Malossi Delta clutch- red MHR springs and MHR weights
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Rear Pulley Assembly from an '08 Zuma
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers
JDM Fender With Clear Lenses
flush mount front turn signals

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:55 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

It was good times. :) Hauling gear on the Zuma was not as bad as I thought it would be. I've just gotten so used to long backroads trips in the 4x4 that I had to re-think my gear list a bit.

I only ended up covering about 160 or so miles. Easy day trip as well. (I'll proly end up making the run one day to try out the scoot after I rework the trans.)

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:30 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

This is exactly the reason i wish scoots we're more popular in my area. I've seen a couple around but they are all much older than I :p I agree with you on te gravel road thing, we have this road Valle the fire line and it's a maintained gravel road that stretches at least 30-40kms, so awesome :) I'll post some pics when I get my baby back up and running again.

Leo Vince TT Exhaust
Carbon fiber reeds
Stock Airbox Snorkel Removed
Malossi Variator 7g weights
Malossi Delta Clutch, Yellow Contra, Yellow Springs, Pivot plates closest to pivot (Hardest setting), Winged Bell
Stage 6 14/42 Upgears
Dual Headlight Mod
Orange Trail Tech Tach/Hourmeter
Vented Trans Case
Shaved tail
Rear Turn signals relocated to brake light assembly, flush mount front signals
Tun'R carbon fiber mirrors

Sat May 25, 2013 2:14 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Yeah a good gravel road is a blast to ride on.
Something a little technical can be a good time too if you are in the mood for it.
I've been on some that were not so fun though....

China Hat road (FS-18) in Central Oregon.
When I rode that on my CV trip it was deep loose gravel on the sides. And the worst washboard I've ever seen everywhere else for about 47 miles. The rest of the road was better but that 47 miles......
That was a miserable ride. The rest of that trip was a blast though. Other gravel roads were great, and the paved stuff was epic. :)

Get some pics. I do like to see Zumas off the pavement. ;)

Tue May 28, 2013 12:05 pm
Newb
Newb

Hi, I want to post ride reports along with photos of some of my rides. What is the best way to upload? Can I write the article in office word, then cut and paste, or should I simply re write my stories here and insert the pics as I want them? My photos are on my pc, not stored on a website.

I'm in New Zealand. Thanks,

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:55 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last edited by BioMedHMC on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:49 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last edited by BioMedHMC on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

well i wasn't up at midnight. some of us get early in the morning

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last edited by BioMedHMC on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:35 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

the on call sucks. i changed positions and turned in the cell phone. haven't had to worry about for the last 5 years and i like it that way.

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last edited by BioMedHMC on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:23 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

being used to it and liking it are 2 different things

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

TeamCatFlap wrote:
It was good times. :) Hauling gear on the Zuma was not as bad as I thought it would be expert référencement Paris. I've just gotten so used to long backroads trips in the 4x4 that I had to re-think my gear list a bit.

I only ended up covering about 160 or so miles. Easy day trip as well. (I'll proly end up making the run one day to try out the scoot after I rework the trans.)

I really thought it was camping scooter literally speaking, so caravan and scooter. But here the images amaze me.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]