View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The scooter camping season begins! 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post The scooter camping season begins!
Got the Zuma packed up for some camping tomorrow. I'm carrying a bit more than I need on this trip (like a spare belt, reeds, and tools, plus the tire pump and more gas than I would need this weekend) because I'm kind of trying out the gear list for my trip down to Christmas Valley I'm doing in a few weeks ( https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Sand ... 23&t=m&z=8 ).

As it sits now. The stuff on the back will be considerably smaller as the tent I'll take down to CV will be my tiny backpacking one. I have my bigger one with the better floor this time because it's a wet weekend around here right now (but not too wet for some camping off the back of a scooter!). There is also an 8x10 tarp in there to make a little lean-to by the fire.

Also I'll have my ALICE pack along. As seen here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18103

I should have the little Zuma plenty overloaded. ;)
Really the only different additions from last year is the tools and pump, and the Zuma was still 50cc then. I've had almost a year to tweak it in just how I want it for this kind of thing. :)

Going with a few guys from the scooter club so good times will be had, there is plenty of whiskey (for me at least) on-board as well :cheers: . And some ammo and a "party popper" if we end up near a good spot for some target practice.

I'll report back if any good pics get taken. :)

The real fun is the looks on people's faces as you ride by. And I decided to ride into Portland in the morning to meet them rather than closer out here on the way to the camp spot we want to try out. So Portland will get a good dose of "WTF?". :D

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19720

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:25 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
Post Re: The scooter camping season begins!
TeamCatFlap wrote:
So Portland will get a good dose of "WTF?". :D

I just got mine !!
Have a safe trip !! Enjoy !!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:20 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

That was good times. :) and the spot got named (I have a tradition of naming all the spots I find by something that stands out at the spot.) "One Eyed Newt Camp" there was a large newt hanging out next to the big stump in the middle of camp. It was missing an eye (looked like it had been missing it for a long time). I think someone got a pic of it.

Some pictures.

The road in. This is a tame part. Rocks and greasy mud a few inches deep was the order of the day on a couple miles of the road, and those couple miles also happened to be a bit steep in some spots, was the last drop down into the valley to the river. The rest of the forest roads in were pretty smooth and hard packed.
George brought his 250cc SYM with very slick street tires. Almost lost it a few times but always managed to save it from going down. :)

Camp.

My little corner of the forest for the weekend. :)

Some fire action. And I usually always have a string of blinky LEDs in the camp gear to hang somewhere.....

Cooking with Zuma.

Morning tea.

All packed up and ready to head home. We wanted to stay longer but jobs Monday morning and the fact we ran out of whiskey made us leave....

And I learned a bit about how I want to modify the way I pack things. A few tweaks and such and I should be ready for the Christmas Valley ride in a few weeks. :D

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:52 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looks like good times !!
And I never realized that the Zuma would double as the kitchen/dining room.
What kind of temperatures did you get after the sun went down ??

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:21 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

It got kinda chilly, but not too bad. I didn't have a thermometer with me. Well, I have one on my phone but I always have to take it out and set it somewhere for a bit so it can change from pocket temp to outside temp.
We were at about 2,400' or so.

Just have to have a platform on the rack (I add that one to make hauling the tent and such more stable) and park it so the rack is somewhat level. Instant camp table. :)

My cheapo Garmin GPS mount broke on the way out there. I now have a new RAM mount on order. :)

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:03 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I really like your LED string idea for camping out in the boonies.
Are they solar ??
I wrap a battery.powered set around my scoot during Christmas ... with some horse.bells.

It's a good thing that zombies stay in the more urban areas, right !! !!

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:29 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

They are a battery set, take 2 AAs and have a alternating flashing and solid on setting. Seem to last forever on a set of batteries. I found you can get purple ones that look pretty cool (and have a slight black light effect) around Halloween and white ones around Christmas, at a local store. I actually have a set of each strung up in the cage (it has no headliner) and use them as lighting inside while camping so you can get stuff and such with enough light to see but not blinding bright. I've also wrapped a few sets of them around the roof rack and set them to flashing for night runs on the sand dunes. :)

I'd like to pick up some of this for using to tie tarps tent stuff as well at some point. Be able to see it in the dark easy.
http://www.glorope.com/shop/nylon-glo-rope/

I guess Harbor Fright has some of the 1/4" glowing rope for a few bucks for 50'. But I'd bet it does not hold an 8 hour charge. Might try it out though as it would be cheap and easy to get.

Not landed on my face in the dark due to tripping on a tie down yet. But I try to camp as much as possible and some trips end up needing things tied off and such due to less than perfect weather. So I guess it only a matter of time. And it might look kinda neat.

And we don't have fireflys out here in Oregon. I'm from Michigan originally and kind of miss them. So a few odd lights in the forest is fun sometimes. ;)

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:42 pm
Scooterologist

I love the ammo cans. How did you attach them?

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:05 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shin Pond Hunter wrote:
I love the ammo cans. How did you attach them?

Here's a good picture of his attachment.
Look at the right side can and you can see the pipe.clamps (x2) that are attached.
He's also removed the top fold.down handles on the cans ... that must have been very noisy !! !!

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:11 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Yeah. They are attached with some U-Bolts from the hardware store. I forget exactly what size they were. But they are slightly bigger than the rack diameter. So I wrapped the rack in some rubber tape really tight. Double nutted the u-bolts to the rack. then drilled the holes in the cans where I wanted them. Inside are washers and lock nuts. I then cut off the extra u-bolt sticking out inside past the nut.
On the bottom inside corner of the boxes they will hit the body. I had some 1/2" thick foam rubber tape (Some kind of weather stripping) that was adhesive backed. Cut a couple 2 inch long pieces and stuck it to the body. To hold the cans out away from the paint. It's stuck to the body because if I had stuck it to the can it could get dirt between it and the body and vibrate the paint off. This way its solid on the body (and peels off easy) and any paint damage will be done to the can.

Here are a few more pics from various angles. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19720

And yes. I figured the handles would be really noisy on a scooter. :) As I was drilling holes in the cans already. I figured they are sacrificed and the handles came of right away as well.

Only thing is they are not lockable (that could be changed though). But I only really carry stuff (can of pledge and soft towel to clean the helmet, some rags and napkins, tire plug kit) that if I leave it out parked somewhere and someone peeks in, they wouldn't want the stuff anyway, just makes room under the seat.

they sure came in handy for camping though. That little bit of extra room makes the difference. The one with the tire plug kit also held a small bottle of water and the roll of TP (Always important). ;)
And I drank too much whiskey Saturday night, needed all the water I could get to feel human again Sunday......

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:30 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 155
Sounds like my kind of camping trip! So just wanted to say thanks for the link to the GloRope, I had to order some. They do a nice job of selling it on the web site so I hope its as good as they hype it up to be. So I'm gonna try the basic Glow Nylon Rope for camping and some Glow Dyneema 3/8" Rope for on the boat. Only wear and tear over time will tell if this was worth it, I mean after all it is just rope. At least it's USA made :patriot:

Yoshimura TRC Carbon Fiber Exhaust,KOSO LED Tail Light,NYC Lightweight Fan,GJMS Speedo Cable Holder,Simota Hi-Flow Filter,NCY Direct Ignition,Magazi Led Signal Mirrors,Embedded LED Rear Signals,GJMS Fan Cover,GJMS Oil Cap,GJMS Rear Stabilizer Bar,GJMS GP-5RT,GJMS Forks,Frando HF2 Radial Caliper w/GJMS Mount,GJMS 260mm Rotor,Swageline SS Braided Line,GJMS Axle Pulleys,GJMS Ti-Coated Front Axle,Accel Bar,Accel Steering Stem,NYC Grips,NYC Throttle Control,GJMS Lever Set,RX1N/PGO Digital Guage,12t Majest Gears,CF Swing Arm,RC 155cc Kit w/2nd gen SRP Injector,High Lift Cam,Aluminium Nikasil Cylinder,Lighter Cam Gear,3D Billet Heat Sinks,3D Cam Breather,BMW e46 HID Projector,Prototype LED Front Signals,CF Parts,TST Varaitor 11g/12g Weights,Ariete Bridgeport Angled Valve Stems,Pirelli Diablo Tires,FRC Torque Drive,PG HD Clutch Bell,HD Clutch,1k Torque Spring,NCY Torque Spring Bearing,KS CNC Floor Board Plugs,Daytona +2mm Kevlar Belt

Mango Tango Build Thread: http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19102

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:34 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Alpinevtec wrote:
Sounds like my kind of camping trip! So just wanted to say thanks for the link to the GloRope, I had to order some. They do a nice job of selling it on the web site so I hope its as good as they hype it up to be. So I'm gonna try the basic Glow Nylon Rope for camping and some Glow Dyneema 3/8" Rope for on the boat. Only wear and tear over time will tell if this was worth it, I mean after all it is just rope. At least it's USA made :patriot:

Nice. :) I'd be interested in how it works. Been ordering so much stuff lately (just in the past few days an LV exhaust and a new RAM GPS mount for the scoot), I need to let the card cool down a bit. ;)

I just stumbled on the site one day, and as you say if it's as good as they say it'll be very useful stuff.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well the Genesis Light Line or GloRope came yesterday. Talk about QWK shipping... I mean were literally talking over night! So I’m stellar impressed with that #1. Second this stuff is BRIGHT! The glow is awesome and I’m not talking like oh it glows, it’s like illumination glow on a small scale. Seems tuff as steel and it should be for the price. So now I just need to put it to use and see what I think after I pull a car with it or some other brutal torture test.

Yoshimura TRC Carbon Fiber Exhaust,KOSO LED Tail Light,NYC Lightweight Fan,GJMS Speedo Cable Holder,Simota Hi-Flow Filter,NCY Direct Ignition,Magazi Led Signal Mirrors,Embedded LED Rear Signals,GJMS Fan Cover,GJMS Oil Cap,GJMS Rear Stabilizer Bar,GJMS GP-5RT,GJMS Forks,Frando HF2 Radial Caliper w/GJMS Mount,GJMS 260mm Rotor,Swageline SS Braided Line,GJMS Axle Pulleys,GJMS Ti-Coated Front Axle,Accel Bar,Accel Steering Stem,NYC Grips,NYC Throttle Control,GJMS Lever Set,RX1N/PGO Digital Guage,12t Majest Gears,CF Swing Arm,RC 155cc Kit w/2nd gen SRP Injector,High Lift Cam,Aluminium Nikasil Cylinder,Lighter Cam Gear,3D Billet Heat Sinks,3D Cam Breather,BMW e46 HID Projector,Prototype LED Front Signals,CF Parts,TST Varaitor 11g/12g Weights,Ariete Bridgeport Angled Valve Stems,Pirelli Diablo Tires,FRC Torque Drive,PG HD Clutch Bell,HD Clutch,1k Torque Spring,NCY Torque Spring Bearing,KS CNC Floor Board Plugs,Daytona +2mm Kevlar Belt

Mango Tango Build Thread: http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19102

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Alpinevtec wrote:
Well the Genesis Light Line or GloRope came yesterday. Talk about QWK shipping... I mean were literally talking over night! So I’m stellar impressed with that #1. Second this stuff is BRIGHT! The glow is awesome and I’m not talking like oh it glows, it’s like illumination glow on a small scale. Seems tuff as steel and it should be for the price. So now I just need to put it to use and see what I think after I pull a car with it or some other brutal torture test.

Sweet! :) Good to know they get it to you fast. I seem to have gotten lucky with getting stuff within a few days on the last several orders I've done with places for scooter parts and such. Glad that for the most part the "please allow 4-6 weeks" era is over (I used to NEVER online/mail order for that reason, I'd drive 100 miles to go buy something from somewhere that had it in stock rather than wait, too impatient I guess....).

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

OK, so just for reference listen to this:

4/5/2012 I placed an order with www.chaparralmotorsports.com
6/7/2012
I get an email from them that my order has shipped
6/8/2012 The tracking says it will arrive today

See any issue here? They didn't call me, they never sent an email to say hey the item you ordered is on back order do you still want it. They didn't contact me at all to say hey this item is finally in/avaliable now do you still want it. It's just going to show up today after OVER 2 Months? COME ON! I have already bought the item else where so I'm going to have 2 now. I will NEVER order anything from them again, that's just really bad customer service IMO.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next