View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Micro camp stove 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post Micro camp stove
Picked this up in preparation for the Northwest rally. You have to look at backpacking gear when planning bike or scoot camping. Every inch of space counts, and everything you pack should serve 2 purposes.

Paid 30 bucks for it at the local "has everything" store. Amazon has it for cheaper though:
http://www.amazon.com/Primus-P-224383-C ... ssic+trail

Quote:
When you open the box and hold it in your hand, the quality of the stove is immediately apparent. Solid polished metal, kitchen caliber, but backpack small (with a very nice stuff bag/draw string). The grate/wind screen design built into it is brilliant, and if you look real carefully, you can see the little teeth on the cross bars in the photo. I think we all remember in years past -- doing a balancing act on those old collapsible models -- and trying to keep your dinner from sliding off onto the ground, for the bears to enjoy later. I'm in the process of updating all of my stuff, and this is an awesome acquisition for the price. I also ordered two canisters of Gasone fuel for it (was having a heck of a time locating actual Primus cans). I think the Gasone listing is right on this page. Great seller (through Amazon), boxed well and shipped very fast. The Primus stove threads onto them perfectly. I'm set. And as always, thank you to the folks who posted before me, and had said good things about this one. I can't wait to cook something with it up in the Sierra mountains.

Got a little msr pot and lid that locks and you can fit the fuel canister in for storage. Trying to make the most of my space.

Attachments:
P1011750.JPG
P1011750.JPG [ 345.09 KiB | Viewed 3795 times ]

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?
Sat May 11, 2013 3:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Micro camp stove

I've been using one of these since the late 60s/early 70s ... picked it up somewhere !! !!

I call it an ALL.FUEL stove. Mostly I use gasoline in it.
You probably can find one at an Army surplus store for CHEAP !!

WalMart has a Coleman version of this military burner ... still uses gasoline ... something like $80.
I've got one of those too.

Basically, I like to stay away from anything that is going to make me have to go and find "special" fuel for it, like butane, propane, or coleman stove fuel.

I can always find GAS !!

Sat May 11, 2013 4:15 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

That would have been my first choice, since I'll have the trusty MSR 20 oz gasoline bottle for reserve fuel.

I was actually looking for an alcohol stove, but this will work for now.

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Sat May 11, 2013 4:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

HarborFreight does sell an adaptor ... so that you can refill your own small Propane bottles from the large BBQ 20# bottles. I use that too.
but ... as I said ... I prefer GAS. I think that it's a very HOT flame compared to propane, butane, coleman fuel.

jdubbya wrote:
That would have been my first choice, since I'll have the trusty MSR 20 oz gasoline bottle for reserve fuel.

I was actually looking for an alcohol stove, but this will work for now.

Sat May 11, 2013 4:53 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

may have to look into that adapter. have several propane tanks. but those little bottles add up.

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Sat May 11, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Mine uses 5 dollar 2206 fuel bottles. If you know of such an adapter for these, I'd like to hear it.

Its a propane/butane/iso-butane mix though.

Sat May 11, 2013 5:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

I have a square multi furl stove i have had for close to 30 years now

Even for my bigger stove i think i get more heat from my white gas stove top then the propane one for scouts

What wouldbe ideal is a whisper light
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/si ... te/product
You can run regular gas through these well we used to back in the day

Sun May 12, 2013 12:42 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

DerHahn wrote:
may have to look into that adapter. have several propane tanks. but those little bottles add up.

Yeah ... well worth the $20 ... and if you find a 20% coupon ... then you're set.
I've been using one to fill the smaller propane cylinders for years now ... so, I know it works as it should.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-bottle-refill-kit-45989.html

Sun May 12, 2013 5:04 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

jdubbya wrote:
Mine uses 5 dollar 2206 fuel bottles.
That's where they getcha. The small specialized fuel cells. I can't tell you how many refills that you could get outta a 20# tank of propane ... but ... it's gonna be A LOT !!

Sun May 12, 2013 5:08 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I got one of these (kinda/sorta) for free in the 60s ... so that's a few years old, too.
Gasoline burns at such a hotter temperature compared to coleman fuel, propane, and butane ... so you don't need much. You can throttle the burner back a lot.
jmkjr72 wrote:
I have a square multi furl stove i have had for close to 30 years now

Even for my bigger stove i think i get more heat from my white gas stove top then the propane one for scouts

What wouldbe ideal is a whisper light
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/si ... te/product
You can run regular gas through these well we used to back in the day

Sun May 12, 2013 5:18 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Yeah compact is the way to go.
A few of us in the group I scoot camp with made our stoves out of old pop cans. I run mine on denatured alcohol.
But the others run them on Everclear. They figure it works for cooking, first aid, and a sip or two if you are feeling up to it. :)

Funny thing is last time I was in REI I noticed that they sell a fancy version that basically looks like the one I made. Only its made out of titanium and costs $30 or $40....
Mine cost me $0.10 and a bit of time in front of the TV. ;)

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19720

Tue May 21, 2013 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]