View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 6-22/23-13 Camping in Fossil *UPDATED 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post 6-22/23-13 Camping in Fossil *UPDATED
So it begins. In the morning I'll be rolling out for some camping in Fossil.
Yeah I know it's not happened yet. But I'll update this. ;)

The Zuma all packed up.

The planned route. I'll be meeting up with the rest in Boring.
http://goo.gl/maps/1OJQ4
Only about 10 miles of gravel on this one there in the MHNF. But we have some new people to riding scoots on gravel on this trip so that's fine.

So a quick rundown. I'll tweak it up as I go through stuff but I can throw some up now.

Met up in Boring with the rest of the group around 10am Saturday morning. Headed for Estacada and we all topped up our tanks then down 224 to the Ripplebrook Ranger station. They have a store there and it was a good stretch break.
Chatted with a big bike club that was headed down to Detroit and a few of them were telling us about their small scoots they run around on sometimes. They did think we were kinda nuts riding small scoots to Fossil though.

Headed out from there to hit the only gravel roads of the trip. Nicely graded and not too much loose gravel on top so it was a breeze even for those that have never ridden on gravel before.
Got through the forest and headed for Maupin where we got lunch and gas.
From there we headed up Bakeoven Road which was a blast for the first mile or so. Just kept switchbacking up a steep hill.
Got to Shaniko which is considered a bit of the ghost town and checked out the "Museum" It's an old barn with a bunch of old cars in various states of decay. I hear they are trying to put together fundage though to restore them.

Then headed on out on some other cool roads until we got to Fossil.
This is where things took a bit of a turn from my original plan. I planned on just buying a couple 22oz beers and calling it good.
But everything in Fossil closes at 7pm. No beer, no other refreshments, no gas.
But we did find a Pepsi machine. Don't really like Pepsi but hey it was a mixer and there were flasks of whiskey in the group.
Bought a few of those..... Should have bought one or two....

Went to set up camp.

Well the whiskey ran out. I still had a Pepsi left and being too lit to know better. Mixed it with Ken's camp stove fuel and chugged that down.
He fuels his stove with Everclear.
May as well have been white gas or something though for how I felt this morning........ :doh:
Oh well.

Two of the group left early as one just wanted to book it on the interstate and the other had some other plans.
the rest of us got packed up and headed out to the high school to dig up fossils (They have a area you can go dig). I found a few leaves and such.

Then we just backtracked the route out. In Maupin my odometer clicked over 10,000 miles, all of them mine. :)
And shortly after that the rain started. By the time I got home my pants were completely soaked. Gloves soaked. But hey at least I took my waterproof liner for my jacket so I was dry there.

Good times. Partied too hard in camp and the rain kinda sucked but other than that it was a blast.

A few pics.
Shaniko

Taking a break.

Another break in in the Clarno Unit of the John Day Fossil Beds area.

After getting to camp and unloading my gear I went on the hunt for firewood.

The super moon reflecting off the scoots in camp.

In front of the only store in Fossil this morning. Loading up on gatorades and such.....

10K!

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19720

Last edited by TeamCatFlap on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:37 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma, Duplicolor Deep Jewel Green, dual headlight mod, brake light led scanner.
Post Re: 6-22/23-13 Camping in Fossil
Awww, you lucky bastard. Have a great trip, take lots of pictures.

I like the bungee cord hole mounts. :D Just noticed those.

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Re: 6-22/23-13 Camping in Fossil
I'll try to get as many pics as I can. Might even get some vid. Try out the gopro knockoff I have.

Yeah the bungee holes are just from where the rubber "Yamaha" emblems were. I used to just pop one end out and turn it out of the way. Then I just pulled them out completely and it's just easier that way. ;)

Top Performance Trophy 70cc, Stage6 small end bearing, 2005 carb needle raised one notch, Malossi carbon reeds, 84 main jet from Yamaha, Throttle mod, LeoVince TT, Polini Speed Contol variator (#241-301), Hoca Racing drive face, 7g adige sliders, Malossi yellow torque spring, dual headlight mod, triple brake light mod with LEDs, LED plate light, less bulbous turn signals, 12v power port, Air horn, RAM GPS mount, 15W fork oil, Shinko SR 426 4 ply Dual Sport tires, Ducted trans cooling with a fan up under the cowling so I can still ride through mud.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:54 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Re: 6-22/23-13 Camping in Fossil *UPDATED
Well didn't get as many pics as I had hoped. But I put a few up in the first post.
I did get some vid. Might be a bit before I get a chance to go through it all though and do something with it.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:46 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma, Duplicolor Deep Jewel Green, dual headlight mod, brake light led scanner.
Love the firewood pic. Thats funny. :haw:

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164

I just had to post this for you ... you lucky scoot.campers !!

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:35 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

BioMedHMC wrote:

I just had to post this for you ... you lucky scoot.campers !!

Nice. :)

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:39 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ha !! Ha !! ... I mean ... DON'T LAUGH !!
This'll get'er done !!

TeamCatFlap wrote:
Nice. :)

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:55 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Would come in handy if it starts raining.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm also impressed by the fact that he's hauling another set of tires.
he probably has a spare belt AND ALL THE TOOLS, too !! Ha !! Ha !!

extra fuel ... jumper cables ...
and he's travelling TWO.UP

jdubbya wrote:
Would come in handy if it starts raining.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:02 pm
Scoot Master

scooters and mods: met/ruck hybrid, Zuma 125
The best modification you can add to your bike is miles. Looks like a great time!

Metuckus 50cc

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

pyrogen wrote:
The best modification you can add to your bike is miles. Looks like a great time!

I agree.

This was about a 400 mile round trip. :)

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:53 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Damn, u r one crazy scooter rider! :cheers: as for everclear.....yeah, the college years kinda sorta cured me of that lol!

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:04 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

jesquivel wrote:
Damn, u r one crazy scooter rider! :cheers: as for everclear.....yeah, the college years kinda sorta cured me of that lol!

Yeah I gotta slow it down. Feels like 40 is just around the corner and I still do the "I just turned 21!" thing a little too often..... :doh:

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:03 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

TeamCatFlap wrote:
jesquivel wrote:

Yeah I gotta slow it down. Feels like 40 is just around the corner and I still do the "I just turned 21!" thing a little too often..... :doh:

Oh just wait....40+ hits u like a freight train....lol! :sigh:

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]