View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 88 Prebug Zuma 50… Travel Time 
Newb
Newb

Post 88 Prebug Zuma 50… Travel Time
Hey Guys,

First post. I have an 88 Prebug that I have been running around the small town I live at in East TN just outside of knoxville. I do a lot of camping and backpacking and really want to start camping off of my Zuma. BUT, my zuma is sketchy at times.

The Starter motor seems to not engage, but turns when I push the button. I have to kick start it but that really isn't an issue for me. The handle bars and front wheel are not fully lined up. Any tips on fixing it?

Finally after I am riding for a while when I come to a stop the bike will idle for a couple of seconds then die. It fires back up but to idle I have to lightly hit the throttle.

and finally I do off road/ back country travel on the scooter now. any tips or things to watch out for? It does fine right now where I take it but I am worried about loading it up with gear and doing it.

Thanks guys,

Glad to be a part of this place!!!

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:06 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '08 Zuma, "The Fly," '96 Jog "In progress."
Post Re: 88 Prebug Zuma 50… Travel Time
There's a limit on how out of alignment your bars can get because the steerer tube is notched, but there's a nut on the handlebars than clamps the handlebar assembly to the steerer tube. You can just loosen that enough to move it as much as it will, and retighten back to spec'd torque once you have it lined up.

As for the stalling at idle, we gotta know if you're stock before we can really address that.

Assuming you are stock (even if you're not, really), I would check the petcock function, making sure the vacuum line isn't leaking. And it's never a bad idea to clean your carb if it hasn't been done in a while (or ever).

I'd say really learn your bike inside and out if you're going to take it into the woods. Cleaning the carb is a great way to start that journey. These type of CVTs aren't ideal for offroad, so I'd keep it tame.

08 Zuma "The Fly" 50: Stage6 Racing Mk.1 (0.7 squish), Athena Race exhaust (S6 Pro), Malossi RHQ crank, Doppler 15/50s, Dellorto 21mm PHBG DS (60/42/90), Top Perf. Vforce3 reed valve, Malossi Multivar w/drive face, Malossi Delta Clutch & Wing bell (Yellow contra, yellow clutch springs on stiffest), Stage 6 R/T forks, Stage6 R/T 4 pot brake, S6 280mm big brake, Aerox 100 rims, S6 CNC'd controls, Brembo master cylinder, Hoca/Bando ignition, naked bars, manual petcock, Pirelli SL26s, dual light mod, re-profiled seat, LED signals, doodads and gizmos (TT Vapor, Harris Project R1 grips, silly stuff) and always running Amsoil Dominator.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:38 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks for the reply,

I was beginning to think this place was a ghost town.

The engine is stock as far as I know with the exception of the air intake is an open filter.

It seems to only do it randomly.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:17 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not a ghost town! Do make sure to do the standard search/read the stickies protocol otherwise questions tend to linger. You get a lot better responses around here if it sounds like you've already done some digging on your own, helps the regulars from feeling like they're constantly spoon feeding is all.

08 Zuma "The Fly" 50: Stage6 Racing Mk.1 (0.7 squish), Athena Race exhaust (S6 Pro), Malossi RHQ crank, Doppler 15/50s, Dellorto 21mm PHBG DS (60/42/90), Top Perf. Vforce3 reed valve, Malossi Multivar w/drive face, Malossi Delta Clutch & Wing bell (Yellow contra, yellow clutch springs on stiffest), Stage 6 R/T forks, Stage6 R/T 4 pot brake, S6 280mm big brake, Aerox 100 rims, S6 CNC'd controls, Brembo master cylinder, Hoca/Bando ignition, naked bars, manual petcock, Pirelli SL26s, dual light mod, re-profiled seat, LED signals, doodads and gizmos (TT Vapor, Harris Project R1 grips, silly stuff) and always running Amsoil Dominator.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:59 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also, open filter is bad bad bad. Quick way to seize.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:01 pm
Newb
Newb

Good to know.

I searched around for some info, but I didn't find everything I am looking for as far as the idle.

I have been riding with that filter for a year without issues. What would you suggest for a replacement? I am wanting to really get this thing tuned.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:16 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stock. You can probably find one on eBay.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:52 pm
Newb
Newb

So I must have an 89 produced in 88 because I have the pre bug 2 head light not the 88 one head light one.

Vertical motor 50cc 2 stroke motor.

Here is the filter I have
http://www.spmotostore.com/Race_Air_Fil ... 3.0030.htm

Here is what my scooter looks like, Just like this even down to the color. I really do enjoy this little thing.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]