View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE HOW TO TUNE A VARIATOR 
Newb
Newb

Post Re: YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE HOW TO TUNE A VARIATOR
x10BWS wrote:
This is for noobs with 70cc or aftermarket exhaust:

There are many questions asked "What weights do i need?" Well, it varies depending on few things such as your weight & the rpm where your cylinder and exhaust makes the most power. What works for me may not work for you.

Those who say "You'll loose top end speed if you go lighter weights, but you get faster acceleration" That's huge BS. There is no speed lost in a perfectly tuned variator. No "sacrificing" top speed for acceleration & vice versa.

It's called CVT, CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE TRANSMISSION for a reason, you should always be in powerband. Or be able to get into peak powerband instantly ONCE you go WOT at whatever speed you're at. When you're cruising along @ 50% percent throttle or whatever.

For example:
Let's say you're cruising at 30mph @ 40% throttle @ 6500 rpm. You twist the throttle to WOT. If it doesn't quickly jump to 8500 rpm (or whatever your peak powerband at) and you need to wait until RPM slowly build up to 8500, your weights are too HEAVY. It should jump to your peak power RPM in a second and accelerate hard.

You are going straight from 0 to 40MPH. When it was at 30MPH you are still pulling hard through 40MPH right?

If you are cruising @ 30MPH and want to get to 40MPH, it should accelerate just as hard as the 0-40MPH (when it was at 30MPH).

When tuned perfectly, your RPM stays at your PEAK powerband or can get into it easily (when WOT) until your variator fully shifts.

[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af329/Reevitup/pw4_zpsc65b0a5e.jpg[/img]

Now here's what it looks like when your weights are too heavy. The variator keeps wanting to shift but the engine isn't making enough power to pull it, so your variator downshifts because of the slow RPM. You cannot get into powerband if your weights are too heavy.

This is what happens when your weights are too light. It revved PASSED the peak powerband (much much less power).

These graphs are based on RPM VS SPEED. You need tune your variator to YOUR cylinders & exhausts PEAK HP @ RPM. These graphs are only for example.

This may be a bit confusing, but hope this helps :)

This tutorial rocks , you saved my day :cheers:

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4