View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 HJC CL-16 Review 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: Stock 2005 Yamaha Bws
Post HJC CL-16 Review
Hey this is my first review but i though i would give it a shot. Tell me if i missed anything

I just bought a HJC CL-16 last-night from Yamaha for $140 and its amazing. I just took if for a ride in the rain to see how well it worked and i was shocked, maybe its bc my last helmet was a $30 ebay helmet :doh: but it was amazing in the rain the water just beaded of the shield and it was really warm. The shield itself got a little fog up more than i would like but since it came with a pinlock fog resistant insert lens that just attaches to the shield it works amazing. The helmet kept my head nice and warm during the ride when the rest of my body was frozen. It feels really sturdy and tough and comes with a dot and snell 2010 approval. Its built really well and i haven't found any flaws in it. It has to be one of the most comfortable helmets i have ever tried on the only thing that was a little more comfortable was a shoei but i can afford to pay an extra $450 just for a little bit more comfort. I personally really like the design it was very simple but it looked really nice, and if your not a fan of just silver like i bought there are a total of 14 different colours and designs. This is a amazing helmet and i think its the best bang for your buck, if you wanna spend $500-$700 on a shoei be my guest but for $140 i personally think it cant be beat.

Protection- It seems really sturdy a it comes with a full dot and snell 2010 approval- 10/10
Comfort- I found it really comfortable and warm in cold weather and it seemed like it allowed air to get through pretty well but not to much to make you freeze- 10/10
Design- I like the simple yet aggressive design and with 14 total designs there one for everyones liking- 10/10
Price- For $140 new you cant go wrong- 10/10

Overall- A really comfortable and sturdy helmet with a great design for only $140- 10/10
Attachment:
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0095.JPG [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 6075 times ]
Attachment:
DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 6075 times ]

Parts to add:
Exhaust: Leo Vince SP3 Exhaust
Engine: Top Trophy 70cc BBK, Crankshaft Motoforce Racing Minarelli horizontal 10mm gudgeon pin
Drivetrain: Stage6 Sport PRO Variator Kit, Stage6 16x13mm Variomatic weights 4.00g - 4.50g - 5.00g - 5.50g incl. Shells, Malossi Red Clutch Spring, Stage6 Racing Clutch-107mm, Stage6 WingCooler R-T RACING TEAM Clutch Bell-107mm
Intake: Stage6 Dellorto RACING 19mm Black Edition Carburettor, Stage6 Dellorto 5mm - 10 pieces 88- 110 Jets, Stage6 Intake System, Stage6 Racing Filter:
Accessories: WOLO Bad Boy Air Horn, Stage6 Subframe, JDM Taillight, Stage6 CNC Brake Levers, Stage6 CNC Kick Start, Stage6 Choke Lever, Stage6 R-T CNC-machined anodised 4-piston Brake caliper, Stage6 R-T HIGH-LOW Shock absorber, Stage6 Adjustable Racing Fork Fork Legs 30mm, Stage6 Adjustable Racing Fork

I need a in at stage6 :(

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:19 pm
Scooterologist

Post Re: HJC CL-16 Review
I have the same helmet in a different design. I picked it up when I wanted a full face.

It was the most comfortable helmet out of all the ones I tried. Lots of vents to keep you cool, tho I usually ride with the visor open a crack.
Another nice feature is the quick detach visor actually works, I've seen a lot of helmets where it's almost impossible to switch visors quickly.

May not be the lightest helmet out there, but for the money it's a good one.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:33 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
they are great helmets i have crash tested sevral hjc helemts the last one an fs10

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:36 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
jmkjr72 wrote:
they are great helmets i have crash tested sevral hjc helemts the last one an fs10

:haw: crash tested - very funny - or perhaps not very funny :doh:

HJC does make good helmets , I just find them a little too expensive for general use. If i were racing I would go with the best regardless of price. However for street I want a good value as well as good protection. But to each his own. I personally would prefer a helmet with a little more color on it so as to be more visible , that black design will just blend in.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:09 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
i have tested them on and off track
i think they are a great value just as long as you watch for them to go on sale

normaly i like to buy a new one in january febuary time frame as the new models for the year are coming out and you can get the old ones for cheaper

this year i got a $250 for $100 shipped the down side is they may not have the color you want

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:14 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

speedandstyle wrote:
I personally would prefer a helmet with a little more color on it so as to be more visible , that black design will just blend in.

totally agree with that statement. visibility (being seen) is important when on two wheels. i got the is-16 scratch with yellow for that reason. plus it fits with having a yellow zuma. :D

Attachments:
forweb.jpg
forweb.jpg [ 192.63 KiB | Viewed 6011 times ]

2009 Zuma 155 - 23k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image
Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 09 Zuma One-two-five
I bought a brand new cl-16 and after not even a month the visor mechanism has problems raising and lowering the shield, it seems that the right side always needs help lifting and lowering the visor. I've tried some dry lub to help it slide but that didn't help much.

Are there any tricks to get the sliding mechanism working 100%? Other than this problem I love the helmet for the price point.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:09 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

have you taken the visor off

sounds like it is not in the track proper

take and look and see if there are any diffrences in the way it sits in the track on one side vrs the other

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:34 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 09 Zuma One-two-five
Yes I've taken it off multipul times and even have a second visor and it still does it. Maybe the one mechanism is faulty? It worked well for the first week or so

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:43 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

the only time i have ever noticed that with any hjc i have had was when i didnt have it lined up right when i put the sheild back in

if you think its the mechanism take it back to where you bought it from and see what they say if its only a month old im sure they will be able to help you

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

per hjc they have a 1 year warranty

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:48 pm
Scooterologist

The tinted visor i have doesn't open as smoothly as the clear one that came with the helmet, I often need two hands to lift the tinted one (one to hold the chin part of the helmet down)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]