View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 new helmet on the way Caberg Trip AKA Rhyno 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post new helmet on the way Caberg Trip AKA Rhyno
My old helmet is starting to look nasty and the flip up front no longer latches so I decided it was time for a new one. My last helmet was a rather inexpensive made in China job bought off ebay so I wanted to get a better one. I wanted quality but without spending too much. I searched the web looking for reviews and to find out what was available and picked several that I liked and were in my price range{$200 or less}. The biggest issue I found was that here in the USA we get the high dollar brands and models or the cheap Chinese crap , nothing in-between! Long story short I ordered a helmet from Britain.

The Caberg Trip also sold under the name of Rhyno in some markets. It has all the features I wanted , looks cool and I hope fits well. The best information when looking at helmets can be found at webBikeWorld with some models having a video. Here is the link to the review of the Caberg Trip

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... berg-trip/

After I get it I will post a first impression and then after a week or so another one. I hope this helmet will last me for many years.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:40 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: new helmet on the way Caberg Trip AKA Rhyno
Does it have DOT approval since it's from GB?

Malossi Sport 70cc BBK - Stage6 PRO Exhaust - Dellorto PHVA 17.5mm 92MJ, 34Idle, A12 Needle Up One Position, Snorkel Removed - Athena Primary Drive Gear - Nology Hotwire - Malossi Reed Cage - Malossi Multivar - Stage6 Rollers 30g - Malossi Delta Clutch - Malossi Wing Clutch Bell - Malossi Torsion Controller - Malossi Yellow Contra - Motoforce Racing R6 Rear Shock - Slipstreamer Windshield - Dual Headlight - Triple Brake light - EMGO Trunk - Ram-Mount for GPS

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:25 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

prime1010 wrote:
Does it have DOT approval since it's from GB?

According to the review: The Caberg Trip meets ECE 22.05 standards. It is not DOT approved and at the time of this writing, it is not available in the U.S.A., but can be ordered from England. The Caberg Trip was also the first flip-up helmet to score 5 Stars in the SHARP safety rating scheme.

IMHO, it's a good looking helmet!

Clocks4Bikes Handlebar Clock, Termoscud Lap Apron (seasonal)
VA Tag: 96 MPG
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2012
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2011
Member # 1807
http://www.facebook.com/steven.levine1?ref=name

Gone, but not forgotten:
2008 Zuma 50--FAREWELL PARTY-SEPTEMBER 30, 2010
Co-SOTM November 2009
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2010

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooter commuter wrote:
It is not DOT approved and at the time of this writing, it is not available in the U.S.A., but can be ordered from England.

Well, just be sneaky and get one of those DOT stickers to slap on the back.

Malossi Sport 70cc BBK - Stage6 PRO Exhaust - Dellorto PHVA 17.5mm 92MJ, 34Idle, A12 Needle Up One Position, Snorkel Removed - Athena Primary Drive Gear - Nology Hotwire - Malossi Reed Cage - Malossi Multivar - Stage6 Rollers 30g - Malossi Delta Clutch - Malossi Wing Clutch Bell - Malossi Torsion Controller - Malossi Yellow Contra - Motoforce Racing R6 Rear Shock - Slipstreamer Windshield - Dual Headlight - Triple Brake light - EMGO Trunk - Ram-Mount for GPS

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:35 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

prime1010 wrote:
scooter commuter wrote:
It is not DOT approved and at the time of this writing, it is not available in the U.S.A., but can be ordered from England.

Well, just be sneaky and get one of those DOT stickers to slap on the back.

I am in New Mexico and there is no helmet law here - DOT or otherwise. I choose to wear a lid , actually I refuse to go without one! The helmet does not have a DOT but does have the EEC which is very similar to DOT. It surprises me how few people here wear helmets! Time and again people die or are turned into veggies because they don't need one. I hope it gets here quickly but we will have to see. The last thing I ordered from Britain got here in a little over a week but it was a book , I figure this will take longer.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:19 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

UPDATE!

I got the helmet today - yea! :haw:

First impressions are very good. The overall quality is as good as I had hoped with the only flaws I could find being a tiny speck of dirt that got into the paint{in a hard to see place} and one of the vinyl decals has a bubble{but I may pull those off anyway}. It fits me well which was my biggest concern. Everything works great and I love having the front release button on the front{my last helmet had it under the chin and it was hard to activate while wearing gloves}. The slide down tinted visor is awesome! The pictures do not do the color justice at all especially when out under daylight.

I purchased this helmet from a seller I found on ebay-UK. I am happy with their service overall , my one complaint would be that I wish they had packaged the helmet a little better for shipping. Although they did add some bubble-wrap into the box and then wrapped the outside of the box with black plastic the box itself was crushed on one corner. If they had added some heavier cardboard into the box or better yet put the factory box inside another box it would have been perfect{although probably would have cost more for shipping}. here is the link to the seller's ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/MSG-Bike-Gear

After a week or two I will post again with a further update but so far I am very impressed.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:39 pm
Scooter Addict

that helmet looks sweet! nice dude! :cheers:

5.5g rollers
Leo Vince yellow clutch springs
Malossi yellow contra spring
Polini CF Reeds
Dual Headlight Mod
JDM tail light assembly
Shaved seat

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:52 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Update! It has been a couple of weeks and I have found the helmet isn't perfect but it is still a good one.

Biggest complaint is that it is on the warm side. Not bad right now but come warmer weather it is going to get hot. I had an issue with the visor fogging but after looking it over I found that the chin pad comes off and that the ducts for the vents are way too small. I enlarged them and now it defogs well enough without a draft on the face.

I absolutely love the tinted slide down inner visor although I cannot extend it all the way down as it touches my nose but even the 95% I can is more than adequate.

Unlike the two other modular helmets I have had the front release works great and the reason why is because it is made from metal - NOT plastic! On my previous helmets the release was all plastic and they broke but this helmet has metal wires that run from the plastic button to the metal latches - works good and should hold up much better.

The quick-release chin strap is great and much easier to use than the other ones with a ladder-lock buckle. One strap tends to get twisted when putting it on but I think I have found a way to solve this by stitching the belt to the comfort flap as they are currently two separate pieces.

Other than the above issues this is bar far the best helmet I have ever owned. I highly recommend it.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:28 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

4 month update!

This helmet has proven to be a great investment! I have had no issues with it. It survived a slight impact with nothing more than some chips to the paint. It could use better ventilation but does OK with the visor cracked open a little bit{mind you the temp is up to and over 100 degrees here}. Everything still works on it and other than the couple of paint chips and small scratches it still looks new. I still highly recommend this helmet.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:02 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Glad to hear the investment is paying off.

Slight aside--we're over 100 degrees here, too, and I've tried lifting the visor a bit for more air flow, but I felt like I was just forcing hot air onto my face. I've actually felt better keeping the visor all the way down. Thoughts? Any other options?

Clocks4Bikes Handlebar Clock, Termoscud Lap Apron (seasonal)
VA Tag: 96 MPG
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2012
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2011
Member # 1807
http://www.facebook.com/steven.levine1?ref=name

Gone, but not forgotten:
2008 Zuma 50--FAREWELL PARTY-SEPTEMBER 30, 2010
Co-SOTM November 2009
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2010

Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is Louisiana ... hot, humid, buggy.filled summers (8 months out of the year !!) ...
Of course there are options ... very comfortable options for riding all year long !!

scooter commuter wrote:
Slight aside--we're over 100 degrees here and I've tried lifting the visor a bit for more air flow, but I felt like I was just forcing hot air onto my face.
I've actually felt better keeping the visor all the way down. Thoughts? Any other options?

Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:12 am
Scooterologist

Caberg Trip has been replaced by the Caberg Konda

am thinking of getting one, thanks for the review :toot:

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

gfunked83 wrote:
Caberg Trip has been replaced by the Caberg Konda

am thinking of getting one, thanks for the review :toot:

Thanks for the heads up on the newest model! Here is the link to webbikeworld's first look at it http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... erg-konda/

Basically it is the same except for cosmetic changes , this one is more angled in the details and mine is more rounded.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]