View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Carhartt pants? 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Carhartt pants?
Hi everyone,

I've noticed that Zuma Forums has Carhartt advertisements in the front/intro page. Or maybe it's just a cookies thing since I've been looking into them for myself. Ever since I've been seeing one of the Ruckus guys wearing the Carhartt Washed Duck Double Front Dungarees while he's been riding his scoot, I've been looking into this for myself.

He said that his Mom recently took a fall on her bike while wearing them and didn't get any road rash at all from it. Although they don't have any padding (you can wear knee pads underneath) or are kevlar-like material, the front of them have two layers of material. Plus the price for them isn't too bad. You can buy them on-line, J.C. Penneys, Sears, or a lot of outdoor stores.

Does anybody here wear these while riding?

--rudge

2003 Yamaha Zuma • Malossi Sport cast iron 70cc big block kit • #84 Main Jet • #46 (Vino) Pilot Jet •
Bopper tires • Dual ZumaLight harness • JDM Tail Light • Doppler Oleopneumatic Shock • Tiny Tach •
6 gram Dr. Pulley Slider Rollers

http://www.zumaforums.net/Gallery/v/rudge/
http://tapastic.com/series/Kickstart

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:48 am
Profile YIM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Carhartt pants?
Ive supermaned 2 times on street bikes on the freeway going 60 when someone hit me. One pants were a thin crappy cargo type. No marks on the pants, small scraped knee. I had a nice motorcycle jacket with pads in the elbows, but they just moved out of the way and allowed my elbow to burn into the asphalt. So I ended up with a solid black plug melted into my elbow, luckily no bleeding. Another reason I gave up on all the gear, if it just slides out of the way why even wear it all.

Other crash I had pants that were very nice 5.11 tactical pants, ripped the whole knee off and wore away, again skinned knee. Had a orange vest on and somehow the back side wore holes into it, I still wear that too.

So I guess the thicker material you can get the better, but depending on the speed I would still plan for injuries. The thing is for me its not really comfortable to be all bundled up all the time, since here the weather is usually nice. So I just wear ordinary clothes.

I would think leather pants and jacket would be the best, its light and flexible.

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've got a few pairs of double knee pants. That's why I got them.
But, I got them through a mail.order catalog ::

The Sportsman's Guide

Go for the "Buyer's Club" and you'll get even better prices.

rudge wrote:
Does anybody here wear these while riding?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:50 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

i have crashed at 30 mph with carhart insulated bibs on
they work ok but after that i bought armored riding pants

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I wear carhart pants all the time, never really thought of them in terms of abrasion protection. Nothing but the poo poo brown pants for me.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm
Scooterologist

i have a pair of brown and a pair of green carhart pants with a brown carhart jacket. the tight weave makes for great cold weather gear. jeans and t-shirt in the summer with gloves. my hands are usually the first thing to hit the pavement.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:26 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Real Carhartt's are tough as I can attest. There are many imitators out there so stick with the originator. There is a reason that people in the line trades use them almost exclusively. Carhartt is one of the few cases where you still actually get what you pay for.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

ZUMIKE wrote:
I I had a nice motorcycle jacket with pads in the elbows, but they just moved out of the way and allowed my elbow to burn into the asphalt. So I ended up with a solid black plug melted into my elbow, luckily no bleeding.

That was most likely a fitment issue. Just because a jacket is your size doesn't mean that it fits correctly. I tried on at least a dozen jackets before I got one that fit me right.

Serenity: 155 cc kit w/ WPC treatment on piston, High lift cam, 140 cc/min injector, KOSO Delta clutch, 1000 RPM contra spring, TST variator with 10g/12g rollers, Two Brothers Exhaust w/ P-3 powertip, rear LED signals, Yamaha rear rack, Heads-up battery display, Power Mate, Scratch built footpegs and front rack, Yamaha Majesty gears, Yamaha BWS 125 short windscreen.
http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14734

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:52 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I use my carhartt clothing when I need rugged wear (working on the scoot, trudging through the snow/ice/cold).

I completely approve of Carhartt jeans for entry level crash/skid protection.

Hya

2. Stage 6 Full Circle Racing Crank
3. NGK BR7HS
4. Malossi Over-Range Race Transmission 29.7grams (malossi rollers)
5. Malossi Yellow Torque Spring
6. Malossi Delta Clutch
7. Malossi Wing-Bell Clutch Bell
8. Malossi Sport Clutch Springs for Delta/Fly (Currently running white)
9. Malossi Up-Gears
10. Polini Airbox (This is the most pimpin part I have on my scoot!)
11. Pirelli SL26/Michelin Bopper combo
12. Hyazuma Special Throttle Cable (This one is B2TB!)
13. Arreche 19mm Carburetor
14. Arreche Manual Choke
15. Laser XPRO Expansion Chamber Exhaust (Low tone = Happy Nieghbors)
16. Nuova Ray High Performance Scooter Ignition (Prog. rev limiter and detune switch)

Touch my parts again and I'll cut you up into tiny pieces and make a salad!

Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:53 pm
Scooterologist

Duluth Firehose jeans are a good choice for reasonably heavy duty pants.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens ... or=content

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:36 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Over the last few years I have seen the quailty drop in carhart. For work now I wear the Duluth trading company pants now

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]