View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Full-face with high visibilty-visor, and lightest weight? 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Full-face with high visibilty-visor, and lightest weight?
I'm talking about the rider's own visibility and peripheral vision. The visibility as it concerns other driver's ability to see you is easily adjusted.

Well, my girlfriend's father just got in an accident yesterday. He had a 3/4ths helmet and came out alive, but with 50 stitches in his face. It was a slip and fall around some curve in Oklahoma and he lost consciousness there (he's also fairly old, getting close to 70). Luckily, his riding partner was there and she lifted the bike off him and got help. Also, other drivers stopped and got the bike out of the road and made sure help arrived. He wants to wear a full face, going forward.

My old full face is probably in need of replacement too. It's been out of commission for awhile when I was between bikes, and who knows if it's been dropped or not.

I figured I'd do my best to help find us the best helmets we can.

So I'll be searching and hopefully updating, but if anyone already knows the answer or something close to it, lemme know. I plan to talk shop with him tonight.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:15 am
Scoot Master

Post Re: Full-face with high visibilty-visor, and lightest weight
Do you have Cycle Gear close to you? Good place to try on helmets and they have a 7 day exchange incase you find the one you bought does not fit properly.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:20 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I'm in the Metro Denver area and he's in Mena, AR (Mid-Arkansas, Next to the Oklahoma border).

I have lots of motorcycle shops near me like Fay Myer's Motorcycle World and other places, as well as a Yamaha dealership. Not sure about Al (GF's father).

By the way, I came across this review of the NEXX XR 1R Carbon. I knew it was known for being light, but the visibility is praised pretty heavily too. Upon further reading, it sounds like the Carbon version of the XR 1R may only be as little as 25g lighter than the standard version. I'll consider calling up Nexx and maybe a local gear shop to see if I can get true weight comparisons. Nearly $200 for 25g is definitely not worth it.

If their sizing is accurate, I could at least dial in the size online, if I can't find the helmet locally.

The reason I think light-weight is important, is for at least being an easy transition for him, since he's been riding his whole life but I don't think it was with a full-face. Plus the ability to turn your head and look at blindspots that much more quickly.

Last edited by AeroKen on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 am
Scoot Master

I started with open face helmets and now prefer full face. Aerodynamics is more a concern than weight (if you don't have a windshield). I live everyday with neck pain from an old injury and even though my FF helmet is a little heavier, it's hundreds of times better on my neck than than my open face "sail". Just keep that in mind as your looking at them, as far as visibility goes, the only thing i lost was the ability to see my feet easily while standing , so it's a non-issue for me.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I agree. I think I'm pretty much fine with my standard full face on the heavy side, with normal-visibility as opposed to extra.

But I figure, better safe than sorry, and I don't think his wife well let him settle for less than the best; he'll be lucky to be allowed on the bike again as it is.

Him being 67ish; he could probably use the lighter weight too.

Me, I might as well join in the fray and get the best helmet I can, for my next one (maybe a bit later).

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't even notice the ff helmet, and it's not especially light, nothing fancy, both DOT and the other certification (I forget what it's called)...and it fits properly.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on helmets.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's a visibility issue with me ...

I don't feel that I can see peripherally as well in a FF ... and the best that I can do is a MODULAR HELMET.

I wear glasses ... and I'm not interested with the struggle to take them on.off.on.off just to put a helmet on.

So ... MODULAR ... and I can see my feet !! !!

SIZING ... FITS PROPERLY ... more important that you know !! !!
My helmets always "wear.out"

They don't fit well anymore because they get sloppy ... too loose. And that's when it's time to replace them.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:02 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

How does that happen, BM?

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

BioMedHMC wrote:
It's a visibility issue with me ...

I don't feel that I can see peripherally as well in a FF ... and the best that I can do is a MODULAR HELMET.

I wear glasses ... and I'm not interested with the struggle to take them on.off.on.off just to put a helmet on.

So ... MODULAR ... and I can see my feet !! !!

Yeah, the more I look into it, the more I'm leaning towards modular now. Both me and the other person this topic is about wear glasses, too.

As far as best of the best, and readily available locally (to try on), the Schubert C3 is high on the list for modular helmets. At $700 though, it ain cheap.

The AGV Migilias look good and are under $200. I'll be trying out both.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 pm
Scoot Master

I didn't bother with looking at prices, cause it really is all in the fit. I did end up with a pricey helmet, but it felt the best around my head.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:58 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

If this is what you're asking about ?? ??
That I said that :: My helmets WEAR.OUT ... GET SLOPPY ?? ??
They just do.
The styrofoam compresses and does not have "the memory" to return to it's original SNUGGNESS.

I'll replace them ... definitely within 4 years, maybe sooner ??
I've got one 3/4 that is now A REALLY NICE BIRDHOUSE !! !!
It actually wasn't my idea ... it was the Momma.Bird's ... and once she moved in ... and now that the kids (x3) are here ... who could evict "the family".

I might make somemore helmet birdhouses !! !!
I'll see how this one goes ... I really hope that one of them (any of the them) will return next season.
Nick Batzdorf wrote:
How does that happen, BM?
BioMedHMC wrote:
SIZING ... FITS PROPERLY ... more important that you know !! !!
My helmets always "wear.out"

They don't fit well anymore because they get sloppy ... too loose. And that's when it's time to replace them.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:32 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

He felt the Schuberth C3 was a bit too pricey, unfortunately, but he's looking try on full-face helmets and is going to keep an eye on weights and modularity for when he finally is ready to start riding again.

Me, I decided I'll try out the Airoh J106 in large. Wasn't too pricey, and I like the style/weight. Not fully modular, but I've only ever worn plain full-face helmets, so I can deal with the hassle. The size and egg-shape looks about right for me, so we'll see.

If it doesn't fit like a glove, I'll sell it.

4/24 - Update:

I received the helmet last night (plain white). It does in fact fit me perfectly. I figured the egg shape would work, and I measured my head a few times and the Large Airoh J-106 always fit within those numbers.

With all the full-face attachments, visors, etc, it weighs 3lbs 1oz (1,389 grams) which is pretty dang light, for the price I paid. Without the jaw and clear visor (but still with the plastic circles reattached to the side, because it looks silly with mounting holes on the side of your helmet) it's 2lbs 4.5oz, and the sun visor which can also be removed (why would you do that and get rid of the jet-look?), weighs a mere 2oz (bringing total weight down to 2lbs 2.5oz; but then you gotta wear riding glasses/goggles). I weighed everything with my cooking scale, which I've used to measure miniscule amounts of yeast to make some pretty killer pizza dough, so I trust it's accurate.

It's really comfy. The liner is removable if replacement is needed down the line. The sun visor pops up and down easily over my glasses. The jaw can be removed rather easily too, but putting it back on pretty much requires taking off the helmet; this helmet is far from being modular on the fly, but it does offer the benefit of giving you two styles of helmet in one. I suppose you might be able to practice putting the jaw back on with the helmet still on, and get good at it though.

I would definitely trust the jaw to withstand a single impact as well as the rest of the helm. It's not nicely padded like the rest of the helmet, but it doesn't touch your face in normal use. If I hit the pavement jaw-first, I'd be worried about snapping my neck more than anything; not fun to think about. I bought mine from Motostorm.it and it was a pretty good deal, even with the international shipping.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]