View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Your helmet and you! (Glasses?) 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2013 Yamaha Zuma 50, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
Post Your helmet and you! (Glasses?)
(I did the searching for this and came up with little answers to the questions I had.)

This should be something for everyone, as all members opinons are needed/wanted. If you wear a helmet, what type do you wear, and why. If you dont wear a helmet, after you get into an accident you will be wearing one anyways. Ill bet money ahead of time it isnt going to be a SHOEI or ARAI. (sure, your chances for getting laid when you cant walk, talk, and you suck food through a straw are minimal. A sweet "post-accident" helmet might give you a +1 when trying to get some. Hindsight is 20/20.)

What type of helmet do you wear? Brand, make, model, year etc.
Full face? Modular? Half? Motocross? Trailer Park boys styled hockey helmets?

I am curious what the public is wearing and why the decided on the choice.

The question I have about all of it is can you wear glasses with your helmet and if you do how do you do it all year long. I am just now getting my scooter and Its cold now and I plan on riding mine 11 months out of the year. I also wear glasses, and have forseen the difficulties here where I live with fogging and not being able to see comfortably. (Ive looked at all the options but decided on motocross style helmet for best anti fogging and breathability.) I do not care about the cold weather, as I will have gear to aid with being chilly. I also pack a mean coat of man fur. What do you guys wear, why, and am I on the right track for evading the other helmet options at this point?

INB4 helmets are stupid, too hawt, /cry
Squeamish people dont bother clicking link. As for the people against helmets, its specifically for you. NSFW - WARNING!!!
http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/f10/scooter-accident-mans-head-squished-39392/

2012 Yamaha Zuma 125cc - Say YES to 666!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
Post Re: Your helmet and you! (Glasses?)
I wear eye.glasses.

My helmets are a variety of my favorites. Mostly I'll ride with a half helmet. So, there are no real problems with the glasses.

My favorite is my modular. A full.face but, the entire face moves upward. That makes no problems with the glasses.

We've got full hemlets, open face. Again, no problems with the glasses.

The only helmet.type that we have never worn is the full.face.
Difficult to put your glasses on & off. It's impossible to put the helmet on with your glasses still on.

Cold weather ... fogging ... don't do anything special most of the time. Have you tried rain-x on the inside ??

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 pm
Scooterologist

ATM I am waiting for delivery of my scoot. Should be here tomorrow or the next day. Think its been a very mild temperature recently, but winter is about to bombard the midwest. I plan on riding my scooter all the way up until December. Or even later. I tried a SHOEI and also an ARAI. They would work (full face) but I saw the complications with it. As soon as I would put the visor down if it didnt have a breathing deflector, it would be foggy no doubt in this mild weather in MO, let alone when its 32 degrees.

I am trying to be prepared for what is happening soon weather wise, and here in Missouri, its anything but predictable. Most of my trips are within a few short miles of my house, and I can stand intense cold enough for those expeditions and intend on braving through them. Up until its just about not possible to ride (with snow all over the ground).

I debated modular, and gave that up. Same thing. Unless it has deflector inside for breathing, I assume its going to be useless. As for the Moto X types since the goggles are separated from the helmet cavity, and the front is so open I would bet for this situation it would work. I dont care about how they look on a scooter as much as I care that it saves my noggin. And that I can comfortably travel with 100% vision. I have had contacts too, but they le' suck. Specially since I have astigmatisms in both of my eyes.

I do have some pretty nice anti fog stuff for some roller hockey gear. If it doesnt work, Ill just punt a child. And also peeps...

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
fog isnt too big of a deal

on mine I just dont close the lid all the way, I can leave a tiny slit wind can blow in and blows away any fog

plus whatever cleaner I use has an anti fog in it, some green liquid ive been using forever made by scoots

actually any time I ever had fog would be on a super cold day with the helmet being stored inside a warmer garage
so the instant it hits the cold air it would fog a little
but all my normal everyday driving I cant even remember the last time I had fog

could also be the lens mine is probably 6 years old and tinted, with all those years using the cleaning spray im sure it has some built up coating on it

years ago they sold a neoprene thing you velcro in the helmet to sit over your nose and stop all the hot air from fogging inside
but at that time I had one of those faces that lift open and it had a ton of air leaks
and then I couldnt use the lift feature with that fog thing strapped in

also helmets like this, they cover your ears which may or may not be nice
and have snap on covers
weird bubble
my friends all use these but im not into that look

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
I have a Caberg Trip modular helmet. It has the front part that flips up but is full face when down. I wear glasses and found it almost impossible to get a full face on without it snagging my glasses, even harder to get the glasses on afterwards. No problem with the modular helmet. I have had a couple of modular helmets but the locking mechanism busted because they were too cheap. My Caberg on the other hand has had no problems there. I also love the tinted inner visor and use it 99% of the daytime{never at night!}. The only bad thing is that Caberg does not import into the USA anymore so I had to get one from the UK. It cost me about $150 for helmet and shipping.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... berg-trip/

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:21 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

ive read there are new visors out that tint in the sun, and go clear at night
like those transitions eye glasses

but have never seen any yet in stores

would like one of those
ive been known to wear sunglasses in my tinted visor because my eyes are sensitive to bright light

even painted a 2 inch black strip at the top of my visor because it just allows too much sun to enter that high drives me crazy sometimes and my helmet even has a sun visor thing on top too like the dirtbike helmets

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
i have a selection of hjc full face helemts and i also have a 1/2 helmet that i wear on group rides or into car and bike shows

normaly i wear sunglasses under my ff
i also like to leave my face shield cracked open a bit
i also run a breath deflector in the colder months

i will attest to the quailty of the hjc helemts i have crash tested several 2 on bikes 1 on a quad and a many during circle track raceing

i will admit that even though i have been down i do not always wear a helmet some times i like the wind in what hair i have

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:33 pm
Scooterologist

Zumike that helmet is crazy looking! I think its kind of cool. Good to know about the fog too. Less fog with you guys means less for me probably as well. Depending on the winters you have where you live.
Speed. Those helmets look beefy, which is a good thing for modulars. Too bad they dont have them readily available here in the states. I bet shipping was le' raep.

As for the transition lens type visors, I wouldnt trust them for a second. I hate my glasses that have them same type of lenses in them. The only damn thing they are good for is in the winter when we are in total white out mode. They go black. Otherwise the f*%$ing things dont work. Worthless. I hope the company thats investing in the technology and production do the homework to make them more sensitive. Mine never seem to be dark enough and I squint all the time.

I am convinced that the fogging will be less likely a problem than I had expected. I have the juice to combat whatever issues I have, but was curious about your guys experiences who live in the colder parts of the states/wherever you live. I am just being smart and asking now before I have problems while riding. I will probably be getting a moto helmet just to be on the safe side. I hate how my glasses get all janked in FF helmets. Its uncomfortable and worrisome that I will probably end up toasting a pair of my spectacles just from taking them on and off. Then I will buy different goggles for different times of day and seasons. Cheaper, and I think its going to be overall more comfortable and reassuring. I dont care if I look funny.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

or be like everyone else and have bought 3-4 $400+ helmets to find the right one

mine is so old, greasy and sticky especially the inside liner but I love it and was the last I have bought in a long time

too bad the tinted lens's cost $100 have to replace that twice over the years
I know the cheaper helmets have pretty reasonable priced lens's

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

I thought about this hard for a while before I even registered to post. Least with moto gear you can get the goggles to match the need. Then you dont need to pay and replace/fight with the secondary visors to use them for one night. Some models are hard as piss to put new ones on from what I hear. Patience is something I am working on. Anyone else on here use a moto helmet year round? I saw one guy with crotch rocket type jacket and moto helmet, he seems to be thinking the same as I do. However, I do not remember if he wore glasses.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:41 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

So ...
your solution is a MTX.type helmet ... WITH GOGGLES ... OVER YOUR GLASSES ?? ??

clockwork420 wrote:
I am convinced that the fogging will be less likely a problem than I had expected.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

my first helmet was a dirt bike with large goggles used for maybe a year
had to find just the right goggles that didnt pinch my nose

never found another set that didnt, so now when I dirtbike im stuck breathing from my mouth because the goggles pinch my nose
one of my $100 visors was ruined dirtbiking with the dust and mud scratched up the lens
so thats why I dont use that helmet anymore and use the offroading type

I know the cheap $15 goggles I have for my half helmet says rx ready
they are like the ones from that movie pitch black, they look like sunglasses but have foam on the inside to keep the wind from blowing on your eyes and large strap to go around your head, or helmet

for $15 they are pretty nice tinted and clear available

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dirt.bike goggles that you can wear OVER.GLASSES ?? ??
That sounds to me like the ones that you had to wear in CHEM.LAB in highschool !! !!
I'll see if I can find a picture ...

ZUMIKE wrote:
I know the cheap $15 goggles I have for my half helmet
they look like sunglasses but have foam on the inside to keep the wind from blowing on your eyes
This is the kind that my wife prefers, too.
She can't take all that wind in her face with a half.helmet.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:12 pm
Scooterologist

BioMedHMC wrote:
So ...
your solution is a MTX.type helmet ... WITH GOGGLES ... OVER YOUR GLASSES ?? ??

clockwork420 wrote:
I am convinced that the fogging will be less likely a problem than I had expected.

Sure why not? The problem is ventilation. And air circulation. As long as the goggles were comfortable as mike said then there shouldnt be issues.
Helmet + Goggles + ability to breathe + no nose pinch + no fog = win. Since I already where fairly sized glasses, I might be able to ride without goggles on a nice day.

And hell naw to those lab glasses. Them things remind me of Lab days. I hated the lab. I did lol.

Can you guys post a pic of the ones you are referring to? I have no clue which ones unless they are the black ones with light ring of foam over each eye. I think I know maybe which ones you mean. And could they fit over glasses possibly?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:19 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

For a couple of years ... I did wear DISPOSABLE safety glasses over my glasses.

clockwork420 wrote:
Since I already where fairly sized glasses, I might be able to ride without goggles on a nice day.

And hell naw to those lab glasses.
Can you guys post a pic of the ones you are referring to?
could they fit over glasses possibly?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next