View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 DIY hand guards 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post DIY hand guards
Been frickin cold here in Raleigh, NC, but still riding! Stopped by a dealership on my route to find glove liners, but all they had was some $120 battery heated ones (nope, saving up for exhaust and BBK), and those scooter mitten things sort of freak me out for some reason. So I figured, why not make some hand guards out of plastic milk jugs? Could even spray em black real quick, and just ditch em in the spring. Problem is, I don't drink milk, could someone send me some milk jugs? Just kidding, I will hit my people at work up! I read that the guards from the 50F will fit on my real zuma, but I don't care to have them all year, just an idea for anyone else that wants to try it! I'll post pics unless it gets warmer before I get around to finishing my experiment. Cheers, and hey, we all have the spring to look forward to! :cheers:

08 YW50X, T-Mod,* Top Performances 70cc Trophy kit, 05 needle one notch richer, Pirelli sl26, 84 main, 46 pilot, Malossi .30 reeds, Yellow Malossi torque spring with torsion controller, Dr Pulley sliders, Leo Vince ZXR

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:24 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Re: DIY hand guards
I have a used set of hand guards from 125 zuma ,you can have them for free ,just pay for the shipping cost.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:00 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Will those fit on a 50 without changing much? That's real cool of you man! I'll hit you up if my milk jug idea sucks, but I kinda want to do it just to see if it works, I imagine just a few zip ties and I'm good to go! Might be a little floppy, but if it works, it might help some other poor blokes out there!

08 YW50X, T-Mod,* Top Performances 70cc Trophy kit, 05 needle one notch richer, Pirelli sl26, 84 main, 46 pilot, Malossi .30 reeds, Yellow Malossi torque spring with torsion controller, Dr Pulley sliders, Leo Vince ZXR

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:15 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's actually a good idea ... can't wait to see the pics of what you came up with.

Milk // ice.tea // orange.juice // chlorox.bleach probably all come in the same jug.
So ... HIPPO.HANDS freak you out !! !!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:46 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I'm not sure if they fit the 50, I'm sure someone here would know, let me know if you want the ones I have
sk81978 wrote:
Will those fit on a 50 without changing much? That's real cool of you man! I'll hit you up if my milk jug idea sucks, but I kinda want to do it just to see if it works, I imagine just a few zip ties and I'm good to go! Might be a little floppy, but if it works, it might help some other poor blokes out there!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:16 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

you need a bracket to make them work
they will fit on any bike

you could also use ones from dirtbikes

ive had those in the past on a few bikes, never felt any difference in temps with them in use

I think its all in the head
wind still rolls around them right into your hand
its mostly for trail riding so branches dont get caught up in the levers
and maybe if you crash although as weak as they are its probably for looks

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

I want to see this idea.

I've got a pair of hippo hands < made in China > they work great but, hardly used.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:09 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Man, by the time I have enough empty laundry detergent bottles, it'll be 60 out again! Maybe I will raid the laundromat garbage while I am there this weekend! If it costs nothing and keeps the wind off my hands, cool! If they don't work at all, maybe I will try the hippo hands. Only $20 from the stealership. It's only a 5 mile ride to work, but man, 30 degrees and below is just brutal!
(hrmm.. I wonder if I can turn these yamalube bottles into hand guards, they seem to small)
On another note, the weather calls for " ice pellets " tomorrow, maybe I should get a ride from my lady. I'm from Illinois, we have sleet, hail, freezing rain... Can't wait to see what a North Carolina ice pellet is, I imagine it to be like gerbil food, but in ice form. :q:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have gloves that are so fat they look like the things hands

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]