View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 How much protection is practical? 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
Post Re: How much protection is practical?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !! :doh: fit like a glove !!
What's that stuff we used to put on baseball gloves to soften them up -- leather dressing -- neetsfoot oil ??
gahdzila wrote:
I recently bought new gloves. I was kinda worried at first, as they were quite tight, even leaving marks on my hands when I took them off. After a few days, they've started loosening up, and I'm confident that, pretty soon, (no pun intended) they'll fit like a glove : :awesome:

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:01 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 04 zuma 50 stock but not for long :)
none learn how to ride

60+ mph club 70+ when i can show the proof :)

Tue May 05, 2009 6:35 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
Seriously? Is it really necessary to say that the danger is other people?

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Tue May 05, 2009 7:38 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Nick Batzdorf wrote:

i drive truck for a living and there is way too many idiots on the road.

but if you know how to ride, you will be fine

t-shirt shorts and flip flops work good for me. while riding my zuma

Wed May 06, 2009 7:08 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
You'll be fine every time except when you're not.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Wed May 06, 2009 7:21 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Seriously! Have to say,'YES'!
That is why we have 'DEFENSIVE' driving courses!
Nick Batzdorf wrote:

Last edited by Z Geaux on Wed May 06, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 06, 2009 10:32 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you think you can control other drivers on the road by riding defensively, knock yourself out - literally.

Meanwhile I'll continue to gear up.

Wed May 06, 2009 1:59 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Don't go getting all pouty! Wasn't trying to twist your tail!
No one said that you could control others!
BE AWARE OF, BE EVASIVE FROM, BE PREPARED FOR, BE PREDICTIVE OF, BE DEFENSIVE.
If that to you means 'gear up', no one will disagree.
I think that 'gearing up' probably is defensive, in the form of a 'protective shell'. Like a bubble.

Nick Batzdorf wrote:
If you think you can control other drivers on the road by riding defensively, knock yourself out - literally. Meanwhile I'll continue to gear up.

Wed May 06, 2009 2:19 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 125, 155cc BBK, TB Exhaust
89liftedxj wrote:

You are kidding, right? Are you saying that if you know how to ride that you will never get into an accident on your bike? You can't be really saying that and believe it.

Wed May 06, 2009 3:18 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not pouty, and wearing a ff helmet, gloves, and armored jacket doesn't take you away from the real world. Or I should say it doesn't take me away - I don't even notice the gear.

Of course the protective gear isn't a substitute for road awareness any more than wearing a seatbelt means it's okay to drive like a jerk in your car.

Wed May 06, 2009 3:35 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
Nick Batzdorf wrote:
You'll be fine every time except when you're not.

Ouch! that hurts my brain - had to read it twice to figure out what you meant. :doh:

However I agree totally. I refuse to ride without my helmet , a jacket , long pants and solid shoes. I have to admit that I have gotten a bit lax in wearing gloves because the ones I have are too hot now and I can't find ones I like at a price I am willing to pay.

I have seen them those guys who wear little or nothing when riding , and mostly it is some fat middle-aged guy , never a gal who looks like Jennifer Love Hewitt. Add a helmet to this get-up and she's ready to ride!

Wed May 06, 2009 5:20 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Mista Lyle wrote:
89liftedxj wrote:

You are kidding, right? Are you saying that if you know how to ride that you will never get into an accident on your bike? You can't be really saying that and believe it.

i did say it and its true. dont ride like a idiot and you wont get yourself in a bind.

Thu May 07, 2009 9:17 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Kids, we are trained professionals. Never ever do this at home without your parents' supervision!
And if your mom and dad are the idiots, stay in the house. ForSure!

89liftedxj wrote:
i did say it and its true. dont ride like a idiot and you wont get yourself in a bind.

Thu May 07, 2009 9:37 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 125, 155cc BBK, TB Exhaust
89liftedxj wrote:
Mista Lyle wrote:
89liftedxj wrote:

Man, I am not trying to knock you, but it is pure ignorance to think that way. I thought you were kidding!

The reason that is so NOT true is because you have absolutely no control over other drivers on the same road as you. You can be the best, safest driver in the world but that will never guarantee you won't have an accident. I just had a patient in surgery two weeks ago who rode bikes for over 30 years and had never been in a crash. Then one day five weeks ago he is sitting on his brand new $18,000 Harley with under 600 miles on it, stopped at a red light, and some jackass on a crotch rocket slams into the back of his Harley and totals it. Luckily, all parties escaped serious injury, but this guy needed minor knee surgery.

So, was he riding like an idiot to get himself into that mess? Hell no! He was stopped at a traffic light. I talked to him a good bit before his surgery and sadly he has given up riding altogether. :(

So your statement of, "dont ride like a idiot and you wont get yourself in a bind" is obviously false.

Thu May 07, 2009 11:38 am
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Nick Batzdorf wrote:
If you think you can control other drivers on the road by riding defensively, knock yourself out - literally.

Meanwhile I'll continue to gear up.

Me too!
:hellyeah:

Thu May 07, 2009 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next